Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Dr. Ayyadurai, a world-renowned systems scientist and pioneer in the field of systems
Dr. Ayyadurai, a world-renowned systems scientist and pioneer in the field of systems
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2020, 03:43 PM   #1
ChrisABC is offline ChrisABC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Dr. Ayyadurai, a world-renowned systems scientist and pioneer in the field of systems

FYI
From a man who holds 4 Degrees from MIT

How to Fight Coronavirus (Without Causing a Global Depression)

Dut to the other threads, moderators please close this. No comments please.
Old 27th March 2020, 04:02 PM   #2
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
Sin Bin

Quote:
Luis Miguel is a writer whose journalistic endeavors shed light on the Deep State, the immigration crisis, and the enemies of freedom.
Old 27th March 2020, 04:09 PM   #3
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Biology, as the title is truncated!
I thought he was talking about the reproduction chain, the stereo system - go figure!

Old 27th March 2020, 04:14 PM   #4
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A quick search on 'the new american' comes back
Quote:
The New American is a far-right print magazine published twice a month by American Opinion Publishing Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the John Birch Society, a far-right organization.

No need for me to read the article...
Old 27th March 2020, 04:17 PM   #5
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Why? I read only the nationalist, un-alphabetized, racist people, mostly on FB!
Sad laughs but...you hold the pulse of a nation!
Old 27th March 2020, 05:04 PM   #6
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisABC View Post
Dut to the other threads, moderators please close this. No comments please.
To be absolutely clear: this is exactly what we DON'T want to happen. We want push-back and well-founded criticism, especially in an opinion piece with wild extrapolation from very incomplete data. Doubly coming from an ostensible expert in a different field who is lacking local domain expertise (that's Dunning-Kruger for you).

I'm going to ignore the other arguments folks are making based on the publication source and the author's (heavy) ideological bent and look at this more at face value:

1.) It doesn't help that his explanation for COVID-19 flies directly in the face of scientific consensus.
2.) It doesn't help that there is no robust epidemiological study going on with careful bounding from historic figures (which themselves are noisy).
3.) This is all "gut" evaluations, with no data.
4.) The article pumps his qualifications rather than content. That's a gigantic red flag of logical fallacy.

I can go out and write a piece with all the letters behind my name and spin my background to sound like I should have a clue and have a similar weight of argument for whatever I choose to write about how we should handle the flying trapeze of economic mobility vs physical distancing/transmission reduction. My article would be crap, as is this one.

Last edited by DPH; 27th March 2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 27th March 2020, 05:27 PM   #7
tsmith1315 is offline tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

I will agree Daniel, under the assumption that politics will be left OUT of this thread.

Not very likely since we're already seeing remarks at only 6 posts in.
Old 27th March 2020, 05:34 PM   #8
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@Daniel: You are braver that I. With the limited time I have available I have to just be selective in what I read and debunk! Plus its an area of great ignorance for me
Old 27th March 2020, 05:41 PM   #9
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

His solution starts by grouping people. First group is those that have the virus. You isolate them. How do you do this without testing the entire population in a week. The guys got 4 degrees but lacks basic logic.
Old 27th March 2020, 05:43 PM   #10
geotone is offline geotone  Europe
diyAudio Member

I normally try to refrain from commenting on this stuff, but Covid-19 is too important and dangerous.

I completely agree with Daniel on this. There is so much stuff flying around on the 'net right now - everyone has suddenly become both a virologist AND an epidemiologist. Quite a conspiracy these people detected, unifying all these wildly diverse leaders worldwide, even infecting some of them for plausible deniability! Most of this stuff is morally repugnant when you think about it, as well as illogical - the intent seems to be mostly to spread FUD.

We know people already who have died of this who we will miss dearly. Keep safe everyone, resist the noise, stay home as much as possible.

Dr. Ayyadurai, a world-renowned systems scientist and pioneer in the field of systemsHide this!Advertise here!