If it's purely an engineering challenge why bother designing yet another DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
John, Didn't see anything about cables scheduled for Vienna, but did find the following: MAY - Audio Engineering Society - Los Angeles

His list of clients will truly test listening for subtle differences, I always wondered if Jimi's guitar actually made those sounds by simply being lit on fire. A bunch of us squatted in Richard Leacock's office at MIT (he was never around) I should have asked if the sound effects were "enhanced".

His list of clients will truly test listening for subtle differences...

I found out which AES conference papers John was referring to. There are a couple of things on 'slow listening' that appear to be on the talk schedule. The other stuff seems to include poster papers, if you will, from work done in Japan which are rather short on details. Maybe poster presentations are of always of limited length, don't know.

Anyway, some authors are doing double blind experiments showing that some people can hear small differences under some conditions, including for cables. Physical explanations are offered for cables. Problem is that the quality of what is presented won't change any minds of people who don't want to believe it.

So, nothing to get excited about IMHO.

Anyway, some authors are doing double blind experiments showing that some people can hear small differences under some conditions, including for cables. Physical explanations are offered for cables. Problem is that the quality of what is presented won't change any minds of people who don't want to believe it.
Do they believe they can tell which is better, that's all that matters :)

Anyway, some authors are doing double blind experiments showing that some people can hear small differences under some conditions, including for cables.
Interesting that you have the following view on DBT
Amateur tests put together by EEs, technicians, and or hobbyists are meaningless. Those are designed to trick the victim into false negative results.

Age does limit extended hi frequency response, but often audio differences are still apparent with a number of older people (if they trust what they hear).
I know that everyone should train their ears, listen a lot, and be sure to have real musical instruments nearby, and not just on stage. Audio equipment must also be listened to for different things in order to learn to distinguish their sound. If you listen to only one thing and the bad, no one will ever learn anything, even in youth.

More like if they see what they hear.
A good musician can write a score for complex music, listening only to Edison's phonograph. As you know, nothing is visible there.

Last edited:
I was in a rock and roll band 62 years ago, but I didn't make the grade, so I went into other things, like ballet, (60 years ago) and again I didn't make the grade, so I then concentrated on engineering-physics. Many of us, in the support staff of successful musicians, I have found, started playing music and usually still do privately. I have a Fender guitar, even today. I would have even more guitars if not for fire and theft taking my best away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.