viral projects, sort of

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
well, while covid seems finally on decline, my projects continue
I built ACP+, an amazing headphone amp/preamp from Nelson, and I finished it with 'nice' foam board case :) I will post pics when I have chance
I build Whammy as well, since I had one Burson, and this headphone amp is equally good
Plus, it does not heat so much
I have not finished the box for it yet, I was busy with J1 and Aleph J
Both amps tested and working great, both needs case, and that will take a while
Then I experimented with small bookshelf made from lots of small leftover speakers
I placed midbass drivers on the sides, and use some sort of 'reflector' to integrate the sound with front
It worked I guess, so I will post the pics, and I will use the approach with bigger speakers to see if it works. It reduces the box height.
That's all for now
Stay safe!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
you are too kind!

here are little buggers, project started as someone gave me sony ht speaker set
subwoofer was decent size and I gave it to colleague at work
small plastic bookshelf speakers were disappointing, no highs no lows, almost bose
i took four of those little sony fullrangers, and made it small mtm with onkyo tweeters
that got better on top, but bottom was not reaching 100hz, so I added four 4" aura midbasses, two on each side
surprisingly, now it can play pretty well, I am using it as test speakers, but they sound clean and can handle a lot
ideally should be used with sub

Attachments

• test speaker.jpg
    test speaker.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 264
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is ACP+, highly recommended, great sound.
Whammy sounds great too, and everyone should built it, its soo easy.
Needs box though. I will be using it with external power supply. Mainly because I already have one, and the one I have is great.

Attachments

• ACP+1.jpg
    ACP+1.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 229
  • ACP+2.jpg
    ACP+2.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 227
  • whammy1.jpg
    whammy1.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 214
  • whammy2.jpg
    whammy2.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
recently, I gave nice sony tangential turntable to a friend, so I compensated myself by getting another turntable
Pioneer PL-7, its not top of the line, but it has good reputation
Here are few pics from the auction
It has plain plasticky look, the color is not gold, not beige, so I decided to give it my covid special treatment with gorilla glue (patent pending)
before treatment

Attachments

• pl7a.jpg
    pl7a.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 124
  • pl7b.jpg
    pl7b.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 116
Joined 2004
Paid Member
as I tested with those little buggers (few post above) I placed side firing midranges on the box which originally had planar tweeter and two dayton soft domes on the front, because if I would place two midranges on above and below, box would be too big and would be in the projector view
besides, tweeter and domes do not need any volume, so that would be wasted
side reflectors point mids toward the front, sort of, I think it works
its part of my ever changing home theater

Attachments

• ht2.jpg
    ht2.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 313
  • ht1.jpg
    ht1.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 315
Joined 2004
Paid Member
its been a while I updated this tread. Off course I build a lots of stuff, but I hope its no longer considered build under quarantine. I hope its over soon.

I was lucky to win first round of Vfet lottery, and was first one to fire it up. Its an amazing amp, sweet, musical, all around great. Not the lowest distortion, but very pleasing.

I put together another F1J, this time with LU1014D. Sounds great, needs box, then it will be brought downstairs and compared to other amps. This is third variant of F1J. One day I have to compare all three.

Next one I did was M2, exactly up to the Tea-Bag spec. I love this one, one of the best.

Finished foam board cases for two active crossovers, I think I am all set when it comes to active crossovers.

Put together small bookshelves, just four fullrangers with tweeter in the middle. They sound fine, great testing speakers.

Started some more projects based on LU1014D or LD1014D, as I have plenty of these and adapters thanks to wg45.

Will post some pics later. Stay safe.

Attachments

• F1J with LU.jpg
    F1J with LU.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 255
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 254
Yes.

The drivers were a bit "shouty" by themselves, as whizzer cones tend to be. So I added an adjustable EQ designed by Nelson. That turned these into one of the top 3 FR drivers I've ever heard, close to Cubes and the Seas 6 inch version. I think they sound better than the Feastrex OBs I heard at Burning Amp years ago!!!

Although they are really nice as full range speakers I now have them doing the duty of everything above about 100 Hz. I have 15" woofers covering everything below that. I'm using the 6-24 crossover from the diystore.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have started work on new speakers, based on betsy on open baffle, slim grs planar, and foster planar

here is foster measurements, with just 2uF protecting cap

Attachments

• slim5.jpg
    slim5.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 142
  • slim4.jpg
    slim4.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 136
  • slim3.jpg
    slim3.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 144
  • slim2.jpg
    slim2.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 174
  • slim1.jpg
    slim1.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 171
Joined 2004
Paid Member
its all work in progress, just gathering the data about fr responses

betsy underwent whizerectomy, and is waiting for the phase plug

here are some data on slim grs tweeter, its slightly rising, I plan to use it from 900Hz up, measurements are with 20uF protecting cap
there is slight hump centered around 9kHz which needs to be tamed

Attachments

• slim6.jpg
    slim6.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 122
  • slim7.jpg
    slim7.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 113
  • slim8.jpg
    slim8.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 97
  • slim9.jpg