Something to lighten the mood

Hey. I resent that appropriation!

Kidding.

But...

Noone in the UK refers to a wheat field, or other arable, as Corn. Most people know that corn is also maize.

But Kelloggs Maize Flakes doesnt have the same rings no?

That was, hitherto my belief, an Americanisation of English.

If that is wrong, I apologise. But it is certainly not something an English person says.... corn is corn. Sweet corn is plucked from the COBB, not Cob. And is eaten often in the COBB.
Edit...is it Cobb? I need to check a dictionary...hahaha
And a Cob is a male swan lol.

And a regional English loaf.

I dont even know what a hoagie is...or the other...

I do know I saw some killer sandwiches, or whatever they were called, sea food stuff, Portland, and a few places I only ever heard of because of the music I listened to...and that Man V Food show.

Last edited:
And to clarify I actually got my bready definitions wrong.

Bun.
Bap. (Plural slang for lady lumps)
Batch (presumably from batch baking of buns, rather than individual bun loaves)
Roll, like hot dog roll, sub roll.
Cob

Now I should go before I stay whining on about chips and crisps, crackers, biscuits and all the other food prose hang ups I have

Joined 2014
Paid Member
you forgot Barm and stottie.

And I do refer to fields of Corn (meaning wheat), but I also say '5 and twenty past' due to where my family comes from.

The two Ronnies used to do jokes along the lines of ' A prison van collided with a cement mixer on the M1. Police are looking for 7 hardened criminals'. In that vein

Tomato puree spillage closes A14 in Cambridgeshire - BBC News shows that bad jokes are alive and well on twitter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.03.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.03.19 PM.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 185