Fun to-do list while C19 runs its course

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Make a list. You probably can't get everything completed but it's a plan.
My list:
Three st70 chassis need to be rewired and tested.
Finalize tube hybrid design.(using only parts on hand)
Minimus7 speaker stands.
Combo guitar amp of my dreams.
Finish stereo plate reverb.
Learn how to play harmonica.
Finish quantum action at distance experiment.
Update password book again.
Build boombox with some of those $2.00 tpa3118 amps bought years ago.
Become proficient in f150 hacks using forscan.
Repair the stack of Marantz receivers collected.
Find better solution for music software, start re-ripping bucket library. (nursing home version)
Update the buried hard drives.(field trip)
Get ham station back on air.

This list is probably good for a 90 day pandemic.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My list (I too am sure I will not complete it):

Finish my Tubelab SSE build
Install new exhaust and fuel tank on my 2-wheeled "social distancing machine"
Build a bat box with my daughter and install it on our property
Finish setup/config of my home "NextCloud" server
Spring garden cleanup and planting
Start my 4 legal cannabis plants for the outdoor season
Replace the pump in our hot tub (although this requires expenditure of funds, so maybe not)
Sort through the huge, disorganized mess that is in our basement - discard/re-cycle anything unwanted
Sell a bunch of stuff (mostly camera and computer gear) on ebay
Replace the shocks/struts and serpentine belt on my daughter's car (also an oil/filter change)
(plenty more I could add to this list)

That list should take a few months. I finishing the hybrid stage first. Have to stuff two more boards for monobloks.
Too much fun...

Attachments

• sunburn-sch.png
    sunburn-sch.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Sunburn-hybrid-stage.jpg
    Sunburn-hybrid-stage.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 290
  • WP_20200209_07_09_51_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20200209_07_09_51_Pro (2).jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 298
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
While i rescheduled my trip to Cuba, i resumed the work on two speaker projects.
First is based on old vifa p13wh midrange drivers, the ariel fame, which came back to me from friend i build me2 decades ago for. I made new better speakers for him, so he is happy now. Anyway, four vifa mids made it back to me, the tweeters had punctured holes in cones, i guess his daughters had some fun. I will match the mids with dayton amt tweeters.
Next project will be domes, domes and even more domes, mtm system. Anyway, i got four nice philips dome mids from nice diy fellow here, and the dayton small dome tweeters are on their way to me, so i will be using these in some new project. Not sure about midbass yet.
Stay well.

Last edited:
jfetter - are those Fluke scope probes? I have the same / similar and I hate the things.

So ******* HUGE and HEAVY! Looks like meant for probing point to point wiring on a Fender Twin amp, then I try to use them on a 0.1" spacing proto board and its weight can easily pull the component I've hooked it to right out of the socket.

Love to have something way smaller, but proprietary connector on the 'scope end of mine; maybe want to sell the Flunke 123 scope someday, so cant DIY something made from the existing probes...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had planned to build another network streamer, but I usually get most of the bits via Amazon which has suspended shipping for discretionary purchases for the time being.

I'm also working at home and actually don't have a lot of free time. I'm also a bit under motivated at the moment, I'm locked in my house except for about an hour a day.

Maybe I should invest why my heavily modified Otari MX-5050MKIII doesn't sound as good as I think it should.. Plenty of parts.

No list yet, but a great idea.
Have managed to build a guitar amp with junkbox parts based on the old transformer coupled power booster concept from the '70s. Really funky creamy distortion profile.
Wrote a song for my wife-41st anniversary today, practicing and recording that on a Tascam 4 track has definitely been fun.
Got power supply completed for headphone amp, need to finish the amp.
Practicing avoidance of yard work but it will catch up to me.
Make the best of a cr#p situation.

Cheers,
Terry

Yes those are probes on my old Fluke 97. My new scope is at the hide-out cabin in East Texas.
Yep some good days and some bad days on motivation.
I wish more time available for speaker building. Its very rewarding.
Up side is spending more time with wife.

"This too shall pass" Unknown Persian

- Starting on a set of midcentury modern-inspired wall units that will keep me in trouble for a while

- A few other furniture projects

- Breaking down the freebie UPS cases (nice size really, and good thick steel sheet) and put all the electronics I have laying around in cases.

- Redoing and cleaning up the RPi/DAC setup for my active speakers.

- (Hopefully I can work full time again by this point) get going on using the 7293's I have laying around in some clever composite or strapping into their output stage alone and build up an overly-complicated IPS/VAS setup.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Making some progress on projects I probably would not have progressed as much.

Mounted a martial arts type double ended speed bag on my heavy bag stand.

Got around to DIYing some master link pliers from a dollar store pair of pliers. Pretty flimsy though, might try it on a heftier pair.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_205044719_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20200318_205044719_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 150
So far life has really not changed for me...

Same here. So unless the government enforces curfews this thing really has zero impact on my daily routine. I work long hours at home anyway, I avoid crowds and don't lick the railings at the local library.

But if just keeping working as usual doesn't count, I think I'll make an enclosure for a TPA3116 amp card. I'll just have to come up with a neat design. I think I should have all the required parts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Waiting for parts ro arrive for the SE 2C51-EL84 20% UL amplifier that I am building. Started the design on 9 February when it had become clear that it had spread outside China. I have no immune system (and rely on genetic modified medication) so if I get it then it is goodbye so we've been stocking up etc. and have been practising staying at home.

Parcels arriving from China (!!) are carefully cleaned and parts disinfected after unpacking....

Watching the currency market - AUD and NZD are taking a big hit at the moment. Toursim in our country has ground to a halt and people are being laid off left, right and center since toursim is our second largest income earner.

The world as we knew it has changed.

A few electronic projects awaiting but in case post services shut down, I have alternatives. A long time postponed built might be completed now. The only thing that would really had an effect on me is if they lock down street food...:D

Anyway, the real question is what we'll do after C19 runs its course, if it's going to last for more than a few weeks. But that's another thread's story...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 200
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.