The Black Hole......

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I wonder if that's why my Dad ended up with some rather nice stuff around then. His local wine merchant was having cashflow issues, which would be the case if prices crashed. He bought a case of cheval blanc and being daft drank half of it before deciding it wasn't much cop and forgot about it in a friends cellar for 20 years, after which it was rather nice. Last bottle was saved for my 21st. At that point I realised the fuss about good wine and realised I'd never have the wallet or patience to repeat the experience.

Better to have loved and lost and all that :)

I remember back in the mid-1970s watching an interview on CITY-TV in Toronto with Morton Shulman, a very wealthy man who founded that TV station (not sole owner by that time I think) and former leader of the Ontario NDP. He was an "investor" and also a wine enthusiast, and the interviewer asked him about some of his wine purchases. He had bought some cases of high end Bordeaux at auction, at prices which now would seem reasonable but then seemed stratospheric. The interviewer asked if had tasted any of that expensive wine, and he allowed as how he had opened one bottle. What did it taste like? "It was like drinking my children's blood" he replied.

There was a famous incident on British TV. Mel Brookes fancied himself as something of a wine expert / connoisseur and was a guest on a chat show. Michael Parkinson I think. He claimed he could identify Bordeaux wines by vineyard and year. So Parky had some wines laid out and poor old Mel failed to get them right, miserably.

He could have tried audio cables instead....

There was a famous incident on British TV. Mel Brookes fancied himself as something of a wine expert / connoisseur and was a guest on a chat show. Michael Parkinson I think. He claimed he could identify Bordeaux wines by vineyard and year. So Parky had some wines laid out and poor old Mel failed to get them right, miserably.

He could have tried audio cables instead....

So...
Sour Grapes (2016 film - Wikipedia)

Howie

If you want to do some good, ask John to improve his measurements. I already follow proper practices for these measurements. Notice for example how the gain is specified in my dashboard as is the bandwidth (at the bottom)

Sorry to ask, for what purpose?

What is the relationship between your improved measurements and what we actually hear?

For example, can you claim that a Steinway piano is more realistically reproduced by a Katana DAC (SINAD 110) than a Totaldac D1 (Sinad 84) DAC?

If so, I woudl be glad to understand the relationship.

One for JN Mind-boggling magnets could unlock plentiful power - BBC News

I don't know about ReBCO but if it works at 20K that's a lot of cooling saved. But I predict cubic dollars will be spent before anyone knows if it works (and being Fusion it probably won't).
We are working with them. The principal investigators are nice guys, very smart.

The HTS tape is very expensive and rare to date. We've worked a lot with the vendors on it.

Jn