The Black Hole......

Given you know sod all about me and my experience I will dismiss this as the usual forum response when someone wants to wind someone else up...

Not so, if you did I doubt you would have made such a comment.
But I'm happy to be proven wrong....

Musk has often referred to high vol manufacturing at it's worst as hell and I
know exactly what he is talking about having been directly involved with it
from Tooling, SP MC design to product design.

You are clearly a Tesla fanboy and seem to think no one else is pushing the boundaries of manufacturing. That's fine but I'm not going to hero worship them as they do not produce a product I am interested in.

Haha - No I'm not a TFB but you might be excused for thinking such.
I know engineers who have worked for him and let's just say it's no easy gig, his own workload is apparently insane. That's about all I'll say here.

I am mainly interested in their unconventional engineering approach. If you
can get past Musk's 'ways', the never ending press and dig a bit deeper, they do have a very innovative approach to engineering.

But as you say, they are not the only ones and that's got to be a good thing.
They were however almost solely responsible for the disruption which takes b@lls -> respect.

TCD

Here’s the story about the Tesla driver and passenger sleeping (seats fully reclined) at 80 MPH

Speeding Tesla driver caught napping behind the wheel on Alberta highway | CBC News

‘Oh ye of too much faith . . . ‘

Locally have been sharing the road with AI cars for more than 35 years. Accident rate far lower than normal driven cars.

But these days it is competition not collaboration in development.

The road to FSD (full self driving) or a truly autonomous vehicle has a truck load of revenue at the end of it. All the players are using different approaches
and Tesla, as per usual are going the unconventional path of ditching everything but vision which seems crazy given other technologies available
(Lidar etc).

Watched a few vids on Neural networks and machine learning etc so I have a basic understanding. I still can't fully rationalize not utilizing supplementary
technologies when it comes to safety given that the price of sensors will come down.

So there you go Bill, Tesla and FSD... I'm on the fence with this one. :D

TCD

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I saw an amazing video of a self driving racecar by a team at Stanford. It could get really close to the track record, BUT that's an empty track. Its was really impressive.

But nothing like the real world challenges of driving in a chaotic world. Its the difference between complicated and complex.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Musk has often referred to high vol manufacturing at it's worst as hell
It's hard. Blardy hard in every step. But if you, as someone with no experience of manufacturing cars announce to the world you are building a 'giga' to make a huge number of cars you need to get people with a track record in green field car factory builds. Hence my initial comment that it's good they have finally employed the right people.

I know engineers who have worked for him and let's just say it's no easy gig, his own workload is apparently insane. That's about all I'll say here.
When the CEO (who doesn't have a background in manufacturing) is living at the factory pressuring everyone that is not the sign of a good company to work for! The fact that they filled a factory with robots then found they couldn't build cars with them and had to rip them out would tend to point to having the wrong staff (and possibly the wrong boss).

Then it goes the other way. VW spent 10^9 on their glass factory for the phaeton then almost no one bought the car :). Also was pretty before fast (the factory).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Going off in another direction you see the oddest things advertised in motorway service stations. Latest is SleepHalo The world’s first wireless phone charger with radiation protection which shields you from radiation from your phone whilst you sleep. Now this begs the question why sleep with the phone on your bedside table? Even when I was single and I used the phone as a alarm clock I put it far enough away so I had to get up to turn it off.

Quote from the designer

“I started looking for answers when my wife began suffering from chronic night-time migraines. After further exploration, we found that moving both our mobile phones well away from the bedside helped relieve her symptoms.”“So, this got me thinking and I decided to find a working solution that allowed us to continue to charge our phones, which we needed for alarms and emergencies, but without the pain of frequent nightly migraines.”

I don't get it. Unless of course it's a £40 placebo...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Almost certainly placebo. My phone is deffo not in the bedroom, and I set it to turn off from 1130 - 0900. Does wonders for battery life too!

I used to know a guy who said he was ultra sensitive to wifi and bluetooth, always gave him bad headaches.

Oddly however - and I made a point of not pointing this out - my house is the most full of stuff you can fined - 3 separate wifi systems, lots of bluetooth connection - both often boosted in power, plus dozens of cellular devices all on the go (and all this is work stuff). The place is wall to wall with RF. but he never got the slightest twinge when staying here... Perhaps all the single malt acted as an antidote...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Incredible that despite all the teething problems and snafu’s that Tesla has the market cap it does.

Then there’s Nvidia in $16 billion sales with a market cap of >300 billion.

We have lost all sense of value. Used to be a company was worth c. 10x annual EBITDA. Now it’s worth whatever one thinks.

Companies like Mercedes Benz with a history of making great autos don’t even get a look in.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you watched "Dragons' Den"? Always good for a laugh.

Reminds me far too much of BMR’s aka Business Review Meeting where after getting hammered on not exceeding your previous Q projection, you had to beg for investment $ for new product dev.

I am now retired and happily burning my fingers on my soldering iron

:)

Incredible that despite all the teething problems and snafu’s that Tesla has the market cap it does.

Then there’s Nvidia in $16 billion sales with a market cap of >300 billion.

We have lost all sense of value. Used to be a company was worth c. 10x annual EBITDA. Now it’s worth whatever one thinks.

Companies like Mercedes Benz with a history of making great autos don’t even get a look in.

Tech stock bubble. There are companies that have had a market cap of Billions before even getting a properly functioning proto out the door let
alone actual production. A certain company that bears the christian name of Tesla comes to mind.

Tesla bull run is over for the moment and they will likely grow into their current price to some degree. There is a lot of speculation weighted on
potential autonomous driving revenue and that is a big gamble IMO. However their energy sector will likely be the sleeping giant that makes some real
money over the next decade.

Mercedes should do OK they are quite diversified WRT EV technology (buses
etc) but companies such as Ford and GM... they've got their work cut out for them.

TCD