The Black Hole......

Joined 2002
Paid Member
George: I can't see anything on stereo setup on the 2020 discussion?
No, it’s the 2019 round that is verbatim today’s round about stereo speaker placement “procedures”.
The 2020 round is a more refined quest IMO.
Besides, trying the one speaker vs two speakers for mono source is like trying to find the limit f{speaker-room interaction}.

George

But you can't explain it to us (or can't be bothered)?

Bill, I am not a Wilson guy in any way, but from watching the 20 minute video I have an idea of what is going on. When one is using audio cues to find speaker positioning then the speaker movements to find them will be very small, a couple millimeters this way or that way when you get close.
May I suggest that you watch the video and if you have any questions about it contact Wilson Audio for any needed explanation. They have been doing what they do for a long time.

Found definition of 'equally pressurizing the room.' Also in the same document, the reason for very small speaker movements.

Please see attached text.

The linked document is a paper I wrote and sent to Arthur Salvatore about 10 years ago. Arthur then posted it somewhere and it comes up in google searches. At that time there was really nothing on the net about the Master Set method. Everyone associated with Sumiko was sworn to secrecy so there was nothing. I did my best with my limited knowledge from listening to the Master Set guy talk and demonstrate. It's mostly correct but not totally.

Here is something better: Sumiko master set-up process - AudioAficionado.org

Read Post #2 which gives detailed instructions including the audio cues to listen for, along with some explanation of the why's and wherefore's. I highly recommend this. It's a much better write up than anything I ever did.

Also, FWIW, Master Set and Wilson Audio Setup Procedure are quite different though they are both detailed procedures for stereo speaker positioning. With a little practise Master Set can be done by anyone. WASP is strictly a procedure for trained Wilson Audio people and not diy friendly unless one is trained in the audio cues they use.

Last edited:
Scott, what are you getting at?

Ten years ago if you did a google search for Master Set there was nothing other than my forum postings on AudioCircle.
By 2013 there were a few forum postings in other forums by others and anyone who had been trained by Sumiko wrote that they were limited in what they could write.

Last edited:
The comments section on that one is - kind of encouraging, actually. The punters ain't buying it.

Edit: Actually some of the comments are brutally funny.

I watched this on my TV without any comments, they are encouraging this guy is a real piece of work. Some of the other videos have sycophant commentators that keep referring to him as "he", a cult red flag.

Got this from the TABAQs I built for my bedroom. Those two combs ~ 100 and 200? If I had an X-Y stage that would cover the whole floor surface, I could move those around in frequency and depth as a function of speaker placement; this result was with the speaker in a very impractical position; sort of in the middle of the room.

As Murph would have it, where I want / have to place the speakers for practical reasons...I'd be embarrassed to post the response I'm getting there. Worse with both the stereo pair turned on. (pink noise, 1/12 octave, 1M, on axis)

Attachments

• W5-2143 TABAQ.jpg
    W5-2143 TABAQ.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 150
No, it’s the 2019 round that is verbatim today’s round about stereo speaker placement “procedures”.

George

Yes George I remember that 2019 discussion quite well. Started simply enough after JC posted about the SF Audio Society presentation by Stirling Trayle. Ended when I asked the cognoscenti for their own takes on speaker placement ideas and got essentially nothing, though Evenharmonics did suggest I run REW.

The present discussion seems much too focused on the magic 1/4 inch. Nobody seems very interesting in anything else. It's the Black Hole!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm interesting in the physics behind it, is that a crime. Lets take a couple of quotes from that stereophile article.
Hugh came out and, after chatting a bit, sat down and listened to a few seconds of the CD I had playing. He stopped the music and matter-of-factly said "OK, I can get you a more focused center image and more depth." It was apropos that the first thing Hugh mentioned was imaging, since the soundstage is high on my list of priorities, and after three days of trying, I still didn't have it sounding the way it should. "The treble is getting pulled to the right a bit. I can fix that." Then, as he was replacing my CD with his, he added, "Better bass, deeper, cleaner," then pumped his fist and added "and you know, just more bass."
So expectations set
When he finished, the SabrinaX's were less than ¼" from where they started, but they sounded noticeably better. Actually, the difference was beyond noticeable. They sounded a lot better. They didn't sound like completely new speakers, just much better versions of the ones I had set up.
And expectations delivered.

And the listening position wasn't moved at all. You would think he would at least move the chair 1/4" as well?

''The use of audio cues is tricky. This is not layman's territory. I think the cues are quite subtle and take a lot of training to be able to hear. I seem to be about the only one here who understands why the Wilson guy in the speaker review spent an hour fiddling with the speaker positioning."

This comment certainly cements your place in this forum. You know not what each member's experiences have been yet assume you are unique. Well done!

Cheers!
Howie

"This is a very special slate made personally by Fred and Barney Rubble...😀"

lololol

Their reference music is painful to listen to, almost as bad as comparing the endless re-releases of the Beatles catalog.

The Beatles had the historical function to serve as champions of the reaction. Their smiles and their choruses hid the revolution: they concealed the restlessness of an underground movement ready to explode, for a bourgeoisie who wanted to hear nothing about it.

They had nothing to say and that is why they never said it.

Found definition of 'equally pressurizing the room.' Also in the same document, the reason for very small speaker movements.

Please see attached text.

Mark, the new link I provided earlier does not seem to work so I'll try again:

Sumiko master set-up process - AudioAficionado.org.

Post #2 is the whole thing.
The rest of the thread can be ignored.

However, with your large Sound Lab panels this moving things around and such is not feasible or likely very useful.
However for those with box speakers and cone drivers it's much more practical.