The Black Hole......

So when they're not playing something that is too horribly distorted for broadcast, I find listening in mono using both channels to be a pleasant experience. (A mono source is the only way I can listen in mono and this little KBRD station is a convenience...)

While the number of butts on the sofa who can view the pinpoint of the image focus isnt as wide as i'd like, sitting dead centered as usual, it generally sounds like the majority of sound is emanating from a point directly between the speakers - the same thing that happens to the monaural bits in a stereo recording.

However, the mind (or the equipment) plays tricks and it seems all the image is below the level of the speakers. On both systems. Not so much in stereo material.

So what. The monaural material seems perfectly compatible with my stereo amplifier and two L-R speakers. The better the recording, the better it sounds. It fills in the space between the speakers nicely, to where I wouldnt consider creating a special single speaker mono system.

I wonder what some higher res all digital monaural modern recording would sound like? Probably pretty good on my system.