The Black Hole......

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Research has shown that subjects' preferences align fairly well, with in order of importance: flat frequency response, room appropriate down sloping sound power (= determined by dispersion profile), acceptable distortion figures.

Fair enough - no disagreement from my side.

However, please explain the oohing and ahing over horn loaded single driver speakers that sound in the main quite grotesque.

GUNFU it is interesting that you have a designer colleague at JBL. The new JBL horn driver is truly an improvement over the original drivers perhaps designed in the 40's or 50's. They were problematic even in the 1970's, and that is why we eliminated them from the Grateful Dead Wall of Sound system, back in 1973. The old drivers suffered from inherent horn throat distortion and very limited high frequency extension. Adding a tweeter made as many compromises as it fixed. Horns will always have SOME horn throat distortion, but they don't suffer from significant Doppler distortion like direct radiators do. Why doesn't everybody know this?
Voishvillo’s design altered the way phasing plugs had been designed for 70 years, and his innovation resulted in an ultra-smooth frequency response and wide bandwidth, a distinguishing feature for products such as JBL’s M2 studio monitor (something we’ve written about before) and the renowned JBL VTX V25 line array. HARMAN Innovator Spotlight: Alexander Voishvillo, JBL Loudspeakers – HARMAN Professional Solutions Insights
About the blind comparison with Tannoy. In fact, it was not quite sarcasm or a joke. While still working in the USSR, Alexander Voishvillo created studio monitors for Soviet state television and radio (similar to the BBC), which outplayed Tannoy monitors in a blind test, which some (but not all) sound engineers loved, for example, in the Melody record company.
YouTube

Last edited:
Fair enough - no disagreement from my side.

However, please explain the oohing and ahing over horn loaded single driver speakers that sound in the main quite grotesque.

Those contraptions don't have straight frequency responses, nor appropriate dispersion profiles, and by the looks of them are prone to enclosure induced distortions (of the worst kind, rattles and resonances).

BTW, most full range speakers are not point sources at all, since these drivers typically produce a whole array of frequencies with wavelengths much shorter than the circumference of the driver.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
But they do look imposing. If I had the room a pair of Kleinhorns like Nelson built would be tempting.

Attachments

• nelson_horns.jpg
    nelson_horns.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 223
Joined 2014
Paid Member
They look a bit daft. If I were limited by the interior designer to wall mount I'd think I'd use the motorised Maggies Magnepan

I am blessed with the fact that SWMBO accepts my apogees and, other than some very expensive B&O daleks doesn't like the look of any other speakers, other than the minimonitors that are currently in the kitchen.