The Black Hole......

Its is really hard to reconcile a vinyl recording from an digital master seeming more accurate than the digital master we now have access to BUT the believers are sold and it pays the bills.
More accurate of course not but more pleasing to some sure and you have plenty of enthusiasts some well heeled to support your developments.

And a good phono preamp is an interesting intellectual challenge, like a good escapement for a mechanical watch which will never be as accurate as my 40 year old Seiko quartz watch.
Mythbusters showed how to polish a turd with measurements lol.
Yes have fun with it my fun is with understanding how cables can improve the Gloss Units of existing systems like your designs lol.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
You mustn't encourage Ed. He deals with real problems that none of the rest of us encounter. Like 1000ft speaker cables.

As for madness, as soon as you start looking at cable swapping as some sort of garnish to your sound you are on the slipperly slope to randomly changing things like opamps and capacitors and claiming some victory of hearing over science. We've seen it before and it rarely ends well. Focussing on what matters and doing it right ONCE is the path to happiness.

You mustn't encourage Ed. He deals with real problems that none of the rest of us encounter. Like 1000ft speaker cables.
That would be especially interesting what did you find Mr Ed.
As for madness, as soon as you start looking at cable swapping as some sort of garnish to your sound you are on the slipperly slope to randomly changing things like opamps and capacitors and claiming some victory of hearing over science. We've seen it before and it rarely ends well. Focusing on what matters and doing it right ONCE is the path to happiness.
I've professionally done my 10,000hrs several times over of repairs and mods and constructions and operating, caps and opamps etc are but one part of the equation I'm talking about building cables as final GU control.
I need better usb interface but I have captured amplifier output changes according to upstream cables that are running accepted sensible RLC values.
I don't think there is anything mysterious going on once the electronics are sorted then cables are the final GU polish works for me.

Last edited:
These are two tests of IM distortion. Note the "Test" is called IM 19 & 20 but that is not where the actual IM is located. It is just above 2Khz. Note the short silver jumper wire is better than the two premade cables tested. You might also note the effectiveness of shielding.

Also shown is the results of soldering 100 jumpers on a small PC card with different solders. My conclusion is that good solder joints are almost exactly the same no matter what the formulation and cables actually can have differences. Keep in mind a cable consists of wires and connectors.

Attachments

• RCA Cables.JPG
    RCA Cables.JPG
    522.6 KB · Views: 257
  • Solder Joints J.jpg
    Solder Joints J.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 256