The Black Hole......

Well I have to stick my neck out, and put myself in the cross hairs, but I cannot see why people pursue vinyl with such vigour.

I haven't played a record for over 12 years, but have just bought a new belt for my LP12, a new Denon DL304, and made a new 2mm vinyl disc mat, and am about to try it.

I expect, 'well that is OK', but if I'm astounded I will come back and apologise.

Actually it works like this- a low impedance source will short out an capacitive coupling but provide a low impedance path for magnetic coupling. A Hi-Z source allows for capacitive coupling but little current can flow so low magnetic noise.
I don't quite understand you there, I am talking about pickups effectively being air cored transformers, MM having more turns than MC and higher preamp input load resistance so local magnetic fields induce better into MM coil and are also less loaded by preamp input so greater system sensitivity to stray magnetic fields for MM than MC.

Good practice is to twist the two conductors close together to minimize the area between which is where the magnetic pickup comes from and to shield as completely as possible the cable for electrostatic pickup, not sharing with any signal or return line. If the shield and the return are shared then electrostatic coupling to the shield will be in series with the source and the input cannot tell them apart. All the tonearms I have seen (made since about 1950 or so) have this type of construction. Usually you will have a separate ground wire for the shield in the tonearm and should have one for the motor circuits as well.
Yes, in practice it means the cartridge windings only are connected to the preamp inputs, and the arm and tt chassis earths are connected to preamp chassis.
The cartridge shielding body should be earthed and can be connected to headshell/arm via mounting screws or earthed to one channel signal negative via insertable earth strap but not both.

Max.

Well I have to stick my neck out, and put myself in the cross hairs, but I cannot see why people pursue vinyl with such vigour.

I haven't played a record for over 12 years, but have just bought a new belt for my LP12, a new Denon DL304, and made a new 2mm vinyl disc mat, and am about to try it.

I expect, 'well that is OK', but if I'm astounded I will come back and apologise.

Vinyl can sound remarkably good for such an improbable technology. Like you, I did not play an album for over a decade. I had a setup at one stage with an Empire MM a couple of years ago, and because I could not get rid of hum and also because it sounded plain bad, I never used it.

With the Denon and my new preamp, it has become a completely different ballgame. Completely listenable and really very nice. But it requires good components and care setting it all up. Your cartridge should be even better than mine, so I hope you will enjoy.

For good measure, please let me show the schematic of the preamp I put together. The exact value of the feedback resistors might be a bit different, I freestyle my solderings to a large degree.

Since common mode reduction only takes place in the next stage, it is important to match the feedback resistors. For the riaa components selection is only needed for the precision of the correction, which I don't think is all that important btw. Opamps used are LME49990.

Untitled-2.jpg

As a side note: this whole corona situation is sapping energy, so in spite of the fact that all the time is mine, I get little done. I wanted to have done some noise measurements already, and they will be done, but the flesh is weak.

For good measure, please let me show the schematic of the preamp I put together. The exact value of the feedback resistors might be a bit different, I freestyle my solderings to a large degree.

Since common mode reduction only takes place in the next stage, it is important to match the feedback resistors. For the riaa components selection is only needed for the precision of the correction, which I don't think is all that important btw. Opamps used are LME49990.

View attachment 831093
Hi Vacu,

Since we are talking about CMRR, a few tips for your circuit-diagram.

1) When connecting R47 and R48 to each other instead of to gnd, (evt in series with a 3900u cap, but is not really necessary), you will get the maximum CMRR from the LME49990 and matching of feedback resistors and caps will no longer be an issue.

2) instead of connecting the junction of R53 and R54 to gnd, you could insert something like 10K in between to gnd.
A mismatch in both resistors will be converted in DM when the interconnects from your Cart pick up some EMR signal.
With the additional 10K this DM conversion will be largely attenuated.
Parallel to this 10K you could add a 100pF cap to suppress HF.

Hans

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Actually it works like this- a low impedance source will short out an capacitive coupling but provide a low impedance path for magnetic coupling. A Hi-Z source allows for capacitive coupling but little current can flow so low magnetic noise.
Clear and helpful as always.
Thanks

but have just bought a new belt for my LP12, a new Denon DL304, and made a new 2mm vinyl disc mat, and am about to try it.
I see troubles ahead (entangled)
YouTube

External magnetic fields coupling to MM signal coils or MC signal coils is what I mean by 'air cored'.
We ‘ve suffered a lot from using poor terminology

George

Air core traditionally means an inductor with no magnetic material in the magnetic path as opposed to for example an iron core inductor. I think your trying to describe stray magnetic field pickup.
Yes I said that in the first case.

Yes, I found moving the tt power transformer far as possible away from the arm/MM cartridge effected the hum cure.
IME for single ended connection once earthing arrangements are correct, mm cartridge stray magnetic pickup dominates, it is surprising how sensitive mm carts are despite cart shielding.