The Black Hole......

You know, as much as people look down on MQA, there seems to be a little more intelligent explanations available now and they do seem correlated to what’s being discussed here.

I have MQA available in my tidal subscription but not any way to fully ‘unfold’ it.

Once my new system is up and running I hope to rectify that by finding a device that does.

Watch how you throw around that ‘A’ word Matt! :D

It is amazing how these chemicals were at first tolerated and now virtually banned.
I am trying to pin down what gave my wife (at the time) a deformed fetus that she lost at 5 mo. I saw it, and it was not 'right'. She had recently worked at Fairchild in the chemistry lab, and got exposed to a lot of nasty stuff...

John: Oh man, I am so sorry, my wife and I went through that and the pain is more difficult and long-lasting than I thought it would be...

To all: Regarding banned chemicals: detection and correlation of effects due to these chemicals has increased as a direct function of advancement in epidemiological science. My wife is an epidemiologist with the EPA and the data collection and correlation algorithms which have been developed over the last couple of decades have greatly increased our ability to trace the source of genetic and health effects.

When lay people I know say that the EPA is banning substances which have been safe for years I answer "you don't find data you are not looking for" and these days we know much better what to look for. As is the case with tobacco products, just because everyone doesn't die from them does not mean they are safe.

Public health policy has and will always be a balancing act of cost vs. benefit to society at large, not to an individual per se. There will always be perceived individual liberty issues involved in keeping the public at large safe. I won't get into the recent crop of debates along these lines, but you all get the gist of it...

Stay healthy!
Howie

With all this extended bandwidth talk, what about the microphones?
Recording a cymbal with a mic that doesn't extend up far doesn't produce a recording useful for format comparisons, "nothing up there to see".

JC showed a mic running up to 40khz, do studios go there? Would it be useful to use high BW mics only on specific instruments?
<snip>

As said the last time in another thread, some of the measurment mics (omnis) are offering extended bandwidth up to 40 kHz (my 4133 for example) or even 100 kHz, more common might be the Sennheiser series (MKH 80xx) with extended bandwidth of up to 50 kHz.
Using these for certain instruments makes sense, as scott wurcer already mentioned, because the physics restricts the usuable range. High frequency extension means less usable in the bass region, so using different mics is the normal way I'd guess.

Makes it a bit more special to do one point recordings, means most likely to find a good compromise between high frequency extension and low frequeny response.
But the recording guys should know more about the microphones available.

@billshurv,

Yes but that has already been filtered. You can access the 6bit modulator output and roll EVERYTHING yourself if you want.

Of course; themodulator port seems to be restricted to Fs <= 54 kHz,though.
But my post was related to planet10s remark about possible content above Nyquist and your subsequent question about the Nyquist-frequency in case of modern.......

I thought, pointing to the half-band filter issue would illustrate why, despite modern oversampling ADCs, content above Nyquist still might be existent.

Even though this is a older article it hits on more technical points of MQA than any other I’ve read.......I’m not saying it’s better,worse,or indifferent as I have no real life experience with MQA, just noticing a few of the issues it supposedly fix’s are familiar to the current discussion.

MQA Time-domain Accuracy & Digital Audio Quality

Edit.....it also hits on some of what I was trying to get across earlier.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member

Wow, he had drunk the kool aid! This is the paragraph of arm waving flooby
However, this exacting level of time-domain performance is only possible when MQA is employed as a complete end-to-end system, encompassing both the original A-D sampling and encoding within the mastering process, as well as the consumer access and decoding stages. In this way, and with the implicit and precise knowledge of all digital filtering processes involved in the chain, the system’s overall impulse response can be made almost perfect. For example, MQA claim that the total impulse-response duration is reduced to about 50µs (from around 500µs for a standard 24/192 system), and that the leading-edge uncertainty of transients comes down to just 4µs (from roughly 250µs in a 24/192 system).

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
In general no, the go to mics are often large capsule condenser for classical recordings. They are limited in BW by basic physics.

The go-to mic for cymbals are small diameter condens types. Some often used favorites are -->

Shure SM81, AKG C 451 B, Neumann KM 184, and Audio-Technica AT4051.

18 Grammys for Best Engineering (more than any other engineer) and work on over 150 gold and platinum records, Al Schmitt.... uses on hat/cymbals a Schoeps or a B&K

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited: