Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The Black Hole......
The Black Hole......
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 08:50 AM   #6931
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post
Musk has often referred to high vol manufacturing at it's worst as hell
It's hard. Blardy hard in every step. But if you, as someone with no experience of manufacturing cars announce to the world you are building a 'giga' to make a huge number of cars you need to get people with a track record in green field car factory builds. Hence my initial comment that it's good they have finally employed the right people.

Quote:
I know engineers who have worked for him and let's just say it's no easy gig, his own workload is apparently insane. That's about all I'll say here.
When the CEO (who doesn't have a background in manufacturing) is living at the factory pressuring everyone that is not the sign of a good company to work for! The fact that they filled a factory with robots then found they couldn't build cars with them and had to rip them out would tend to point to having the wrong staff (and possibly the wrong boss).

Then it goes the other way. VW spent 10^9 on their glass factory for the phaeton then almost no one bought the car . Also was pretty before fast (the factory).
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #6932
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
VW spent 10^9 on their glass factory for the phaeton then almost no one bought the car . Also was pretty before fast (the factory).
Now the place will be used to produce the ID.3, will this model become a succes story ?

Hans
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #6933
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Going off in another direction you see the oddest things advertised in motorway service stations. Latest is SleepHalo The world’s first wireless phone charger with radiation protection which shields you from radiation from your phone whilst you sleep. Now this begs the question why sleep with the phone on your bedside table? Even when I was single and I used the phone as a alarm clock I put it far enough away so I had to get up to turn it off.

Quote from the designer

Quote:
“I started looking for answers when my wife began suffering from chronic night-time migraines. After further exploration, we found that moving both our mobile phones well away from the bedside helped relieve her symptoms.”“So, this got me thinking and I decided to find a working solution that allowed us to continue to charge our phones, which we needed for alarms and emergencies, but without the pain of frequent nightly migraines.”

I don't get it. Unless of course it's a 40 placebo...
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #6934
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Almost certainly placebo. My phone is deffo not in the bedroom, and I set it to turn off from 1130 - 0900. Does wonders for battery life too!

I used to know a guy who said he was ultra sensitive to wifi and bluetooth, always gave him bad headaches.

Oddly however - and I made a point of not pointing this out - my house is the most full of stuff you can fined - 3 separate wifi systems, lots of bluetooth connection - both often boosted in power, plus dozens of cellular devices all on the go (and all this is work stuff). The place is wall to wall with RF. but he never got the slightest twinge when staying here... Perhaps all the single malt acted as an antidote...
Old Today, 06:29 PM   #6935
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Incredible that despite all the teething problems and snafu’s that Tesla has the market cap it does.

Then there’s Nvidia in $16 billion sales with a market cap of >300 billion.

We have lost all sense of value. Used to be a company was worth c. 10x annual EBITDA. Now it’s worth whatever one thinks.

Companies like Mercedes Benz with a history of making great autos don’t even get a look in.
Old Today, 06:30 PM   #6936
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
@gpauk ‘single malt’
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #6937
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
We have lost all sense of value. Used to be a company was worth c. 10x annual EBITDA. Now it’s worth whatever one thinks.
Have you watched "Dragons' Den"? Always good for a laugh.
Old Today, 07:06 PM   #6938
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

The Black Hole......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post
If you can get past Musk's 'ways',
Then there wouldn’t be much left to talk about (caveat emptor)

Quote:
They were however almost solely responsible for the disruption which takes b@lls -> respect.
Disruption: All the big-name sociopaths get in line (no pun intended)

George
Old Today, 08:52 PM   #6939
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Have you watched "Dragons' Den"? Always good for a laugh.
Reminds me far too much of BMRs aka Business Review Meeting where after getting hammered on not exceeding your previous Q projection, you had to beg for investment $ for new product dev.

I am now retired and happily burning my fingers on my soldering iron

The Black Hole......Hide this!Advertise here!