Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The Black Hole......
The Black Hole......
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #6291
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
How a room and floor resonates is different from free space wavelength. Under the floor in a wood frame house are beams. The floor tends to bounce/vibrate more in certain places than others. I can notice it if I turn up the big Sound Labs.
So moving the speaker 1/4" might make all the difference?
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #6292
jjasniew is online now jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Got this from the TABAQs I built for my bedroom. Those two combs ~ 100 and 200? If I had an X-Y stage that would cover the whole floor surface, I could move those around in frequency and depth as a function of speaker placement; this result was with the speaker in a very impractical position; sort of in the middle of the room.

As Murph would have it, where I want / have to place the speakers for practical reasons...I'd be embarrassed to post the response I'm getting there. Worse with both the stereo pair turned on. (pink noise, 1/12 octave, 1M, on axis)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W5-2143 TABAQ.jpg (65.4 KB, 34 views)
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #6293
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
No, it’s the 2019 round that is verbatim today’s round about stereo speaker placement “procedures”.

George

Yes George I remember that 2019 discussion quite well. Started simply enough after JC posted about the SF Audio Society presentation by Stirling Trayle. Ended when I asked the cognoscenti for their own takes on speaker placement ideas and got essentially nothing, though Evenharmonics did suggest I run REW.

The present discussion seems much too focused on the magic 1/4 inch. Nobody seems very interesting in anything else. It's the Black Hole!
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #6294
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
I'm interesting in the physics behind it, is that a crime. Lets take a couple of quotes from that stereophile article.
Quote:
Hugh came out and, after chatting a bit, sat down and listened to a few seconds of the CD I had playing. He stopped the music and matter-of-factly said "OK, I can get you a more focused center image and more depth." It was apropos that the first thing Hugh mentioned was imaging, since the soundstage is high on my list of priorities, and after three days of trying, I still didn't have it sounding the way it should. "The treble is getting pulled to the right a bit. I can fix that." Then, as he was replacing my CD with his, he added, "Better bass, deeper, cleaner," then pumped his fist and added "and you know, just more bass."
So expectations set
Quote:
When he finished, the SabrinaX's were less than ¼" from where they started, but they sounded noticeably better. Actually, the difference was beyond noticeable. They sounded a lot better. They didn't sound like completely new speakers, just much better versions of the ones I had set up.
And expectations delivered.

And the listening position wasn't moved at all. You would think he would at least move the chair 1/4" as well?
Old Today, 12:25 AM   #6295
hhoyt is offline hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the Oldbie View Post
The comments section on that one is - kind of encouraging, actually. The punters ain't buying it.

Edit: Actually some of the comments are brutally funny.
"This is a very special slate made personally by Fred and Barney Rubble...😀"

lololol
Old Today, 12:28 AM   #6296
hhoyt is offline hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

The Black Hole......
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnharr View Post
''The use of audio cues is tricky. This is not layman's territory. I think the cues are quite subtle and take a lot of training to be able to hear. I seem to be about the only one here who understands why the Wilson guy in the speaker review spent an hour fiddling with the speaker positioning."
This comment certainly cements your place in this forum. You know not what each member's experiences have been yet assume you are unique. Well done!

Cheers!
Howie
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #6297
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoyt View Post
"This is a very special slate made personally by Fred and Barney Rubble...😀"

lololol
Their reference music is painful to listen to, almost as bad as comparing the endless re-releases of the Beatles catalog.

Quote:
The Beatles had the historical function to serve as champions of the reaction. Their smiles and their choruses hid the revolution: they concealed the restlessness of an underground movement ready to explode, for a bourgeoisie who wanted to hear nothing about it.

They had nothing to say and that is why they never said it.
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #6298
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Howie, Your comment about me seems a bit harsh.
Old Today, 01:51 AM   #6299
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm descending into Hindustani devotional music for a few days to cleanse myself of the audiophile catalog.

The Black Hole......Hide this!Advertise here!