The Black Hole......

Joined 2002
Paid Member
all urine (and other body fluids) fluoresce under UV exposure.
One step in post bird strike inspection on an aircraft when there is no engine inlet visible damage or abnormal engine’s operation parameters, is to check under ‘black light’ (350-380nm wavelength) for bird ingestion by the turbofan engines. If under UV there are traces of living matter on the fan blades inner ½ length (blue traces in attachment), it is prudent to conduct borescope inspection of engine compressor.

I don’t know of any instances where an animal evolves to specifically be the prey of another, but maybe George will dig something up and prove me wrong.

Look in married couples history. What’s the time span of marriage in human evolution history? :D

George

Attachments

• bird strike.png
    bird strike.png
    877.9 KB · Views: 216
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My god a bird strike completely destroys a jet engine.

Reminds of the (probably apocryphal) story from about 1946 or so when the Americans were testing one of these new fangled jet engine things the Brits and Germans had been working on during the war. One of the tests was to fire chickens at the jet engine to see how the engine dealt with it. Anyway, the engines totally shattered so the Americans went back to the Brits and said "We've totally destroyed 3 engines. What's going on?"

Back came the reply "did you defrost the chickens?"

And in science news* Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment . I find this fascinating. Trying to come up with a better solution to the tried and tested photomultiplier tubes has clearly caused much fun in the lab. You need something that will work at 88K and use a small enough amount of power that it won't boil the liquid argon its immersed in. I can't possibly see anything going wrong with that.

*OK not new news, but fun anyway.

Close friend of mine got to visit the former mine (Sanford site) whilst on a family vacation, as his mom works for Fermilab (in a very VERY nontechnical position, haha). Apparently not for the claustrophobic!

*and off into the weeds of arXiv I go to find out what sort of calorimeter/scintillator this guy behaves as.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
“blade-off” test. I remember watching a BBC documentary about Rolls-Royce jet engines about 15 yrs ago when they did one of those. The engine shroud had to stay intact and not rupture. The test went ahead, as you say a 15 or 20 million £ engine gets trashed and the lead test engineer, a lady in her mid to late forties, says “Excellent result!”

Some people have all the fun LOL

And in science news* Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment . I find this fascinating. Trying to come up with a better solution to the tried and tested photomultiplier tubes has clearly caused much fun in the lab. You need something that will work at 88K and use a small enough amount of power that it won't boil the liquid argon its immersed in. I can't possibly see anything going wrong with that.

*OK not new news, but fun anyway.

Reminds me of this I just read the other day, using ... photomultiplier tubes.
Will Coronavirus Freeze the Search for Dark Matter? - The New York Times

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My god a bird strike completely destroys a jet engine.
It can happen (immediately or during a subsequent flight leg). It only takes a tiny shingle in the stomach of a bird that has been ingested into the engine core, for the engine to be damaged.
The containment test Bill linked to, as brutal as it may seem to be (explosive detonation inside a single fan blade), it can be a less severe scenario as operational life has shown.(attachment)

Back came the reply "did you defrost the chickens?"
:D
Current state of such test
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2013-title14-vol1/pdf/CFR-2013-title14-vol1-sec33-76.pdf

George

Attachments

• fan uncontained failure.jpg
    fan uncontained failure.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 203
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I used to know a guy in the early 70s whose job at Hawker Siddeley was, from time to time, to fire chickens at jet engine tests... They bought the ones that were a bit too old to sell from a nearby food company. so, they were often a bit.. green... Fortunately he had pretty much no sense of smell...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sorry used wrong word. I was conflicted on that as, despite the cowling failing the plane did make it back, but with a loss of life. So on the one hand the cowling failed but on the other it does show the resilience of modern aircraft.

And good structured wiring is a pleasure to see. At least until you have to replace one at the bottom of the heap!

Joined 2014
Paid Member

Just had time to go through those slides. Thanks for the link.

:D
What I usually see inside a data network cabinet is a wiring total mess.
Potential troubleshooting nightmare and a guaranteed cooling airflow impairment.

George

I was working in a telco test lab 2004-2010 One of the rooms had had a number of upgrades over a significant period of time. each time there was an upgrade the cables were dropped under the floor, equipment taken out, new equipment put in and fresh cabling. In some cases you could barely get the floor tiles back down if you had to lift them for something. Oh and each cable was the same colour.

Telco has moved a long way in last 15 years (thank goodness), schlepping everything around in blocks of 2Mb/s was so 20th century :)