Supply chain broken?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My orders from mainland China are overdue. Anyone else seeing same?
Tubes still ok as I only using former Soviet and US nos ebay suppliers.
Semis kinda been stocking up last few years.
Not enough North American pcb suppliers though.
Maybe back to point2point?

Attachments

• walmart-blockchain-e1476855467961.jpg
    walmart-blockchain-e1476855467961.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 607
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You must have seen the news!

I got message that my PCB house in C resumed limited production today. Half the employees still in quarantine.

I also got from USPS that their shipping time guarantees into C and HK can no longer be guaranteed due to cancelled flights etc.

It'll take some time before things are back to normal.

Jan

It's pretty crazy over there. I'm not one to chase conspiracy theories, but the "official" version being put out by state media appears to highly downplay the seriousness of the health crisis, and there is a breakdown in civil order. This is the last place I would expect to find it, given the history of racist rants, but a little compassion to fellow human beings would be nice.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
A lot of 'hifi' items I peruse on ebay have had the orange banner across the top stating the seller is away...and the date just gets put back and back. I ordered a psu from Aliexpress weeks and weeks ago and it has just been dispatched.
Definitely seeing the effects.
Salas/Tea Bag has confirmed that their latest group buy will probably be affected.

As long as humans prevail against this thing , the tech from China can wait.!

I have intentionally postponed all planned orders from C due to the outbreak, they had "extended" the spring festival due to the situation, and some C sellers on Aliexpress and eBay also told they would be back only after 12 Feb or so, I am still awaiting to see how things are playing out before putting in an order in C.

My engineer friends in Sichuan provance will be just fine.
But I would not have put my phone mfg 100% in one basket.

Grocery/drug stores here have sold out of all the cheap burner phones.
I purchased a few flip types last week reduced for $12 each. (Swap out sim prior to powering up)
CVS still had a few but worker said phone rep took them out of store computer so cashier cannot ring up. Not sure what that is about.

It's pretty crazy over there. I'm not one to chase conspiracy theories, but the "official" version being put out by state media appears to highly downplay the seriousness of the health crisis, and there is a breakdown in civil order. This is the last place I would expect to find it, given the history of racist rants, but a little compassion to fellow human beings would be nice.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to live and work there with something like this. It's too easy for people to cast blame when stuff like this happens, but the fact of the matter is that it really doesn't help. Hopefully things start to turn around soon.

my biz has seen a huge increase in incoming quote requests from companies that had out-sourced to China.

one supplier to big box retailers recently effected a 10% price increase and the big-box stores took it -- this is unprecedented in the history of domestic (US) manufacturing for the retail market in the last 20 years.

a good question -- what is the new normal? -- transportation in China has improved dramatically since I was there last so the speed at which a vector propagates is much quicker. yet, authorities seem to have acknowledged in the last 24 hours that they have to communicate much more quickly and not fear the flow of information.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to live and work there with something like this. It's too easy for people to cast blame when stuff like this happens, but the fact of the matter is that it really doesn't help. Hopefully things start to turn around soon.

Let me say again it is much worse than what official media reports. My wife is Chinese-Canadian, has been here for 10 years, but has almost all her relatives in China. She is active on Chinese social media so she sees a lot of stuff before it is blocked by state censors. It is miserable over there.

Let me say again it is much worse than what official media reports. My wife is Chinese-Canadian, has been here for 10 years, but has almost all her relatives in China. She is active on Chinese social media so she sees a lot of stuff before it is blocked by state censors. It is miserable over there.

Indeed, the daily rate of infection was hugely under-counted which has left the epidemiologists scrambling -- you need the real data to forecast.

I can hardly imagine how bad it is for the folks on the cruise ship docked in Port Yokohama, and it is even worse for the crew! (My dad once described what it was like to be a crew member on a destroyer in WW-II).

When the rats stop dying, the plague is over -- leastways according to Albert Camus!

I remember how scary the swine flu pandemic was. I could be wrong, but I am inclined to say that this particular corona virus is considerably worse.

It's definitely not a "China problem" the way far too many people are saying- it's something that should have everyone worried.

On supply chain, current pcb layout working on, moving to universal footprints for resistors & caps. Ie 1206smt and 1/4w axial unified footprint.
I use digikey and mouser but jameco and Newark will work too.
It won't hurt to struggle a bit. We've had it pretty easy.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My companies offices in China and HK are closed. They don't want people risking going outside and on public transport. It's been a massive effort to ensure everyone has ways of working from home, rather than just shutting down. But since we don't manufacture, that is possible. I imagine other companies are doing the same, though if it requires workers to be present they have no option but to shut down.

My wife is also from mainland China, and is much more concerned about this than the average Australian. The stuff posted on wechat can be accurate, but much of it is just like fakenews on facebook. Everything needs to be treated with suspicion.

Here in Aus it was actually the Chinese community that was lobbying the govt to impose restrictions on anyone returning from China, especially children returning from holidays to be kept home for two weeks before being allowed to return to school. I suspect without their efforts the response in Aus would have been much weaker.

Tony.

I imagine it's only time before it establishes itself here in North America. Here's a quote from the director of the CDC in Atlanta explaining why it was important that the US government has established quarantine centers at 15 military facilities across the country.

"Now is the time to act so that we can slow the introduction and impact of this virus in the US," Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Note that she explains the reason for the quarantine centers was to "slow the introduction and impact of this virus..." I don't think it's realistic to expect this to be contained to China....

I'd expect there to be economic impacts...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.