Vinyl Lacquer Master Plant Fire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suppose that the biggest risk to HD Vinyl is running out of capital. The process itself looks reasonably sound. The math involved in transforming a music signal into a 3D ridge is complicated, but less so than other problems that have been solved. Cutting delicate structures with a laser gets done in many other applications. Issues related to pressing LP's with a ceramic stamper might be more complicated than they expect, but who knows.

Hi Demian,

Thanks for confirming, I wasn't sure if it was still nitrocellulose or they had changed to something less likely to go bang. And to think they used to make snooker balls out of it!

Table tennis balls too and they started to use plastic instead, official reasoning was based on risk of fire (not only at the manufacturing plant but during transportion as well), comparable situation, many brands but only a couple of actual manufacturers and it needed a lot of experiments and a couple of years to get it done. As usual there is/was a youtube clip where guys burned a basket full of zelluloid balls with spectacular results.
As it was used for film material also, the fire in a museum in Paris was quite desaster as well.

The mentioned running out of capital for the new process was a real risk, as I'd assume that investment in the new process would be quite high and exchange of running cutting lathes a questionable move for a pressing plant.

I've seen the clip about the failed first pressing with the ceramic stamper and a needed additional change of the presses could be a major disadvantage.
Maybe it is possible to include some intermediate steps and use the ceramic form for the production of a traditional stamper.

But the fire loss might be a game changer for the so-called "HD vinyl".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.