John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The layout must gave been done without computer. It's a blast from the past
when we were using crepe paper and Bishops prefabricated DIL symbols.
When we had finished the artwork, we would spend the rest of the day in the
darkroom with the repro camera.

Those were the days, all those pre cut symbols at 2x or 4X and delivering it to the camera shop. I found it rather satisfying.

Altium 20 now supports any-angle routing so you can get a bit closer to a hand drawn look if you want. I can’t recommend updating yet if you’re using a previous version though; the UI thread freezes with alarming regularity. I have to kill it multiple times per day.

I have stopped that updating. Only new features for the salesdroids and old
bugs for me. I suppose if you take an old protel99 library and rename it to .pcblib
it still crashes. I had to find it out myself; they declined any support because I run
it in a VMware machine. I understand that they do not like that because I could
give away a copy of that virtual machine, but it would be traceable to my license
and having paid €15K over the years I can definitely expect some support.
It was THEIR bug, after all.

Maybe one day they will stop adding 5 million features per release and make it more stable.

A very common problem in today's software, CTOs consider software as a commodity (if not as an annoyance) that'd better be free or worst case an OTS solution, while the software people complied and as a result don't give a **** about the quality. 20 years ago, a browser compatibility was making or breaking a software release, today nobody cares if it works in Chrome but doesn't work properly in FireFox "use Chrome" is the support response. Embedded software still has a trace of decency, since some is still facing the service paying John Sixpack that won't digest the "us Chrome" mantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.