John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Decay tails are part of sound field reproduction. You must know that? Maybe you want to play debating games.
My idea of decay tails does not match yours. Mine are 6-10 seconds in length. Do you listen to choral music or organ recitals?

Nobody listens to repeated cymbal hits for pleasure listening. It can be a factor requiring attention during equipment design, or for evaluation of completed equipment. Again, you can't figure that out? I think you can.
I don't focus on cymbals ever whilst listening. They matter not to me in the overall enjoyment. And I don't use pan potted stereo as a reference point. Natural acoustic with minimal microphones is my personal reference. You and I listen for different things in different music WHEN listening critically. But 99% of the time I listen for pleasure.

Maybe you misunderstand my filing system, the B list still gets played as much or more than the A list.......The A list is a collection of music I know meets a certain criteria or ability to be reproduced at a higher spl.

Edit..... I suppose those without appreciation for loud music wouldn’t make the connection.

Last edited:
it wasn't "music" in your not so humble opinion.
I do not understand what the word humble comes to do here. Are you humble about the air you breathe, or a fish about the water he swims in?

If you think I missed something about this bunch of punks, you're welcome to explain to me what, like I did to explain why listening to them is painful to me.
While pointing out that criticizing them was not criticizing you: you have the right to have the tastes you want, exactly like me.

Last edited:
The only dog I’ve seen that watches TV and runs behind the TV to see where the people on the TV went.

You should see mine, jumping and licking the TV screen each time his owners are in a photo. And barking and growling each time a foreign dog is in a picture or a wolf on Nature channels. Trivia: dogs are able to follow only HD video at high refresh rate. At low refresh rates, their brain is unable to connect the flashy series of images.

That's a pretty funny post.

What gave you the impression that we were not very familiar with Steve? I remember it well, around 1980 or so we had a standard PA/elevator music system throughout the plant. One day I couldn't listen to one more hourly repeat of Kansas or REO Speedwagon so I made a makeshift antenna for an HP RF generator and jammed out the FM station it used. Then I brought in an old Panasonic receiver and took two 4" styro wafer boxes and put a couple of full ranges in them. From then on it was the DK's, Urinals, and the rest of the local scenes courtesy of MIT and Boston College (ironic) playing fully uncensored for years since the FCC paid no attention to the bottom of the dial.

Emerson College (WERS) did get the entire staff fired after one of the regents heard The Weasels Beat Her With a Rake. After that the fun slowly faded.

Thanks to syn08 I looked at that old Big Black concert one more time and noticed a recent post by one of Boston's best DJ's Peter Choyce mentioning the listener poll of best of the 80's, Kerosene got my vote.

Last edited:
I do not understand what the word humble comes to do here. Are you humble about the air you breathe, or a fish about the water he swims in?

If you think I missed something about this bunch of punks, you're welcome to explain to me what, like I did to explain why listening to them is painful to me.
While pointing out that criticizing them was not criticizing you: you have the right to have the tastes you want, exactly like me.

You missed something about music (art). Your opinion is just that, and we all like and dislike different kinds, it dosnt mean its not art. And the humble word was sarcastic. You come across as a know it all and any one with different taste in music is inferior. People in the art world said the same thing "If you think I missed something about this punk, you're welcome to explain to me what, like I did to explain why looking at his paintings is painful to me." about van Gogh untill after he died. They were wrong too.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You should see mine, jumping and licking the TV screen each time his owners are in a photo. And barking and growling each time a foreign dog is in a picture or a wolf on Nature channels. Trivia: dogs are able to follow only HD video at high refresh rate. At low refresh rates, their brain is unable to connect the flashy series of images.

You have a good dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.