Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The Sussex's Emigrating to Canada
The Sussex's Emigrating to Canada
The Sussex's Emigrating to Canada Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 11:54 AM   #21
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
The British press is brutal so not surprised she wanted out.
But in reality only "white van man" reads the tabloids. What surprises me is that the Royals feel they have to issue statements to refute what's written.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:57 AM   #22
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

It's TRUE Nigel.

I do wonder though, how much of the "story" is real?

How do we really know that the young couple want to leave their roles as senior royals?

How do we know that it isnt the seniors throwing out the young uns?

I mean hes the son who is least likely to ever sit on the throne, who married an actress, who his grandad has probably insulted multiple times, as he does with most other nationalities.

It would look better for Da Family, if instead of being expelled, they wanted to desert the royal family duties.

As GG says.

Just sayin
Old 14th January 2020, 12:00 PM   #23
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Facebook and other sources are full of stories that Harry isn't even Charles' son. He is the spitting image of James Hewit a friend of Diana's who is also ginger. Harry certainly doesn't look like William.
Maybe that has poisoned matters ?
Old 14th January 2020, 12:04 PM   #24
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Did someone say it was a soap opera? There's nothing special about any of them, it's a farce
Old 14th January 2020, 12:51 PM   #25
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

All so strange to me, when a Canadian reaches celebrity status, the first thing they do is get the hell out of Canada.
This is the reverse and is probably a bad decision by the unworldly pair that may have been groomed by the Canadian government.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:16 PM   #26
kevinahcc20 is offline kevinahcc20  United States
diyAudio Member

It's all so bizarre, a long obsolete concept that a few of us should rule the rest as a birthright, its obsolescence long ago cemented as the "royals" powers were reduced to empty theater so long ago, yet there they are in the family tree that highlights the "line of succession" in its emptiness, and now the whole concept is reduced to a very expensive global soap opera with some of the most ardent fans here in the nation whose founding utterly rejected the underlying premise of the whole structure.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:45 PM   #27
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

The strangeness of having them may give the UK something that sets them apart from other tourism destinations - that's about it. I thought I'd read somewhere that they attract sufficient tourist revenue to offset the cost of their upkeep. That sounds like it can't be true to me, but I guess you'd probably know?

While I'm certainly not a monarchist, I have done the tourist thing and checked out Buck Palace, Kensington Palace and Balmoral on my travels. Mind you it didn't cost me anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
It seems that our common wealth allies and such care about this subject, way more than most British citizens.

I think the demise of the Windsors has been coming for a while - what unique purpose do they serve in this day and age?
Old 14th January 2020, 02:06 PM   #28
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not that strange or special, there are 9 other kingdoms in Europe alone.

I'm sure more tourist would come if we were to get rid of the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas (aka Windsors) and let them see EVERYTHING in the palaces ie their private quarters.
Old 14th January 2020, 03:54 PM   #29
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
But in reality only "white van man" reads the tabloids. What surprises me is that the Royals feel they have to issue statements to refute what's written.
Exactly.... Just ignore the press. They live in a bubble anyway, only see people who fawn over them.
It's also overstated - there's a number of places in the UK where the royals can wander about and all that happens is the locals say "hi" in passing.
Old 14th January 2020, 04:07 PM   #30
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

There is a likeness people, there is a likeness!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 12534796-E769-4948-AAD7-C9355B60C770.jpeg (137.4 KB, 166 views)

The Sussex's Emigrating to CanadaHide this!Advertise here!