Changing world of motor racing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remember the turbo era when BMW used to get close to 1500 horsepower from their 1500cc but only in 'grenade' (qualifying) spec.

I stopped watching F1 around about when Senna died. Not for that reason, but that was around about the time it lost its allure for me.

What a huge development the petrol engine has made since it’s invention.
F1 motors currently produce 600 Bhp from a 1500cc engine with a fantastic fuel efficiency of 50% !
Heat from the exhaust after the turbo is regenerated into electricity and stored in a battery. This energy is used to electrically keep the turbo running when rpm goes down when cornering, thereby preventing the turbo lag and helping to keep efficiency high.

Hans

Back in the early 90s a work mate with a Honda VF1000 told us how he got badly burned off by a guy in a Mini van at the traffic lights.

The guy stopped a bit later and waited for my mate to catch up, with a broad grin he said the bike never stood a chance and asked my mate to look in the back.
In there was a tuned small block V8! :)

I forgot the most important and enjoyable !!!!!

Sunbeam TIGER 260

Lovely vehicle. That V8 sound
and I collected a whole cupboard full of classes courtesy of the petrol station.
Andy

Poor mans cobra ac!
I almost bought a tiger back in my early twenties, last year model with the 289.....test drove it and had to have it.

Couldn’t scratch up the money for it which was probably a good thing in retrospect!

Let's look a little the future .....;)

" A perfect storm may be catching the car. In spite of the advances that have allowed us to significantly reduce the consumption and emissions of cars in the last decades - a vehicle of the eighties pollutes the same as 50 current ones - the sum of a set of factors can spoil a large part of the earned "

Llega un futuro con automoviles mas limpios (o no) | Actualidad | Motor EL PAIS

Who are to blame? SUVs !!!!! :eek:

They will have to use the Google Translator if they want to unveil the mystery .....:D

Attachments

• apertura.jpg
    apertura.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 89
I just heard that for every electric car sold in the UK there are 37 SUVs. We have a rediculously high proportion of SUVs when you think where most people live and our climate.

Interesting about how much older cars pollute. I moved to Derbyshire to get away from pollution in cities (I have a lung condition). I know when an old car goes past-I can smell it. Old Land Rovers are the worst.

Yes, bad combustion smells perfectly.
I just noticed that the link I uploaded is from 2018, so I don't know how things turned out, but what is certain is what you say, more and more SUV.
And what is it for them to be Off Road if most have very little floor clearance! ?
Any 4x2 vehicle travels the same on dry dirt roads ... so what is the 4x4 used in an SUV? for the mud, for the sand? Once the floor touches down, you are already in trouble.

I travel often to an area of mountains here (Córdoba) and I know the subject well, it is necessary to have height on the ground to support the wheels on the rocks.

With a Fiat Adventure is enough. It is not 4x4, but it has a self-locking front differential.
The Chevrolet Tracker SUV .... hum, if you saw a picture from behind the vehicle, the exhaust system silencer is even lower than the floor!
Sonobism, just that.

Attachments

• palio-weekend.jpg
    palio-weekend.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Chevrolet-Tracker-LTZ-2017-GM-Brazil-delantera.jpg
    Chevrolet-Tracker-LTZ-2017-GM-Brazil-delantera.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 73
Here you can see it, have you ever seen the famous Land Rover? Oh, come on, if we're going to copy, let's copy well ! ;)
And if this is not true, ask Zeiss Ikon, Voitglander, etc., about Nikkon and Cannon ....:D

Attachments

• weekend-palio.jpg
    weekend-palio.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 66
  • prueba-nueva-chevrolet-tracker-5.jpg
    prueba-nueva-chevrolet-tracker-5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 71
........ Old Land Rovers are the worst.

It seems that LR remained in my mind after your mention. The allusion I make is exclusively referred to the distance between the floor of the car and the road. Surely those diesel engines already contaminated being new, and much, but let's keep in mind that it was designed in times of pure air and for use on continents with plenty of free space to explore ..... The use of a vehicle of these in the city It's stupid !

Attachments

• land-rover-defender-769326.jpg
    land-rover-defender-769326.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 85
The Land Rover was actually designed as a universal workhorse for british farmers.

That it was suitable for expeditions in far away lands was purely by coincidence.

Incidentally the Mercedes UniMog started with exactly the same design brief in the same year (1947). It was equally unsuccessful as an ersatz tractor in it's home country.

Verstappen is a great talent, just a bit reckless.

I don't like Hamilton one bit (I should support him on the basis of him being our national hero, but I dont)
I'd rather root for Raikonnen, surely the most normal person in F1

As far as Monaco....its an excellent track, but affords few opportunities for overtaking, whatever race classification.

I'd like to see Rossi race it, with others in MotoGP.
I reckon there would be no more overtaking than F1...or at least some rider would decapitate themselves in the attempt!

Monaco would be far too dangerous for MotoGP but do check out the Macau GP!

You'll find the same riders as in the Manx TT and being a street circuit it is somewhat similar to Monaco. A few years ago Rossi was visiting the Manx TT and freely admitted that he hasn't got the balls to race there.

Gone off Hamilton since he is a tax dodger. He immediately moved to Switzerland after he started making real money after promising he'd never do that and he registered his private plane in the Isle of Man as a business plane which means he can not legally use it for pleasure like shopping trips and then posting photos of him doing exactly that.
Scumbag...

A nephew of my wife has run the Dakar several times, and has repeatedly put her life at risk .....
It was who (I think it was in Peru) on the verge of dehydration sent a farewell message to his family, until they threw water from a helicopter and then rescued him ....

Then he insisted and broke his nose when he wrapped in a cloud sand , impact to a monster truck ....
I saw him as a child, and I have no deal with him because he lives in Europe, but I pray that he definitely desists, he already has enough material to tell his grandchildren.

El espectacular vuelco de Fernando Alonso en el Ral... | Pagina12

He runs in Quad´s

Last edited:
You'll find the same riders as in the Manx TT and being a street circuit it is somewhat similar to Monaco. A few years ago Rossi was visiting the Manx TT and freely admitted that he hasn't got the balls to race there.

Gone off Hamilton since he is a tax dodger. He immediately moved to Switzerland after he started making real money after promising he'd never do that and he registered his private plane in the Isle of Man as a business plane which means he can not legally use it for pleasure like shopping trips and then posting photos of him doing exactly that.
Scumbag...

Watch the movie The Laundromat, he is a bean next to that ....:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.