Australia on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, the temperature records here are being broken this year. I am in the West where we have only had relatively small fires, but the Eastern states are suffering terribly.

Most of our fire fighters are unpaid volunteers. To see what they are faced with, look at the video below...a 'burnover' where the bush fire rapidly passes over a fire truck and they use external water sprays and foil heat shields just to survive. They did survive... The bad part starts at around 3 minutes.

YouTube

Last edited:
We're used to bush fires here but it's very different this season.

Had a taste early November in Coffs Harbour and also the return trip to Newcastle (about 400km). We were lucky to get home as roads were being closed and we just made it through before those detours was closed. We happened to stop for lunch at a little place called Johns River on the way back and watched the fire smoke and water bombing activities in the far distance. It wasn't until we got home that we found out the fire ripped through the area a couple of hours after we left and a woman was killed. What it showed was how fast the conditions can change as it didn't look like a threat while we were there.

This picture (in the press) was taken a couple of days ago in Victoria and it's a sign as have a look at the devil face in the flames. If this is not hell, then I don't know what is.

I will not get into the politics of this but there are plenty that are angry at the Government over their lack of policies on the environment.

Attachments

• devil_fire_vic.jpg
    devil_fire_vic.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 492
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
How are managed the aborigens in the country side, here in EU we heard a lot about Koala and kangarous at TV but nothing about isolated populations? Is it safer cause the fires are mostly near the costs ?

That's just incredible the numbers of people than authoritys are moving with calm and good organisation. Kudos... here I believe people will run in all directions !

Time to stop coal for electricity purpose and a worldwide Marshall Plan against global warming to reduce the futur events to be worser ?

Anyway, so sorry for Oz and its great people.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just saw an interesting report of a prof interviewed in 2008, saying that increased temperatures would increase drought in many areas, along with strong winds.

Literally said: 'from 2020 onward, South-East Australia will be faced with extreme bush and forest fires that will last for months'.

And in my country, the Red Cross collects donations for the Aussies.

Jan

Time to stop coal for electricity purpose
In Scotland, coal-fired generation ended completely in 2016.

In 2018, renewables provided an equivalent of 75% of Scotland's gross electricity needs and we're on target for 100%, hoping to join Albania, the Congo, Iceland, and Paraguay who have already accomplished that goal.

Here, climate change would appear to be resulting in increased rainfall. I just wish we could share some of it with the beleaguered Australians! :(

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
It's time industrials and authorities listen to scientists !

Here we are : if they focused on greener energy and passive constructions (I mean not just for the shows) they will make profits too !

Here in Europe, people seems to use more and more cooling systems (= more power) for instance and without significant less heating when winter iscomming (no GoT joke)!

After children bawl out the parents and grand parents !

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In Scotland, coal-fired generation ended completely in 2016.

In 2018, renewables provided an equivalent of 75% of Scotland's gross electricity needs and we're on target for 100%, hoping to join Albania, the Congo, Iceland, and Paraguay who have already accomplished that goal.

Here, climate change would appear to be resulting in increased rainfall. I just wish we could share some of it with the beleaguered Australians! :(

Overall the UK is not doing too bad on the renewables front. Only about 15% of the countries energy requirements come from coal and that’s declining as well. We need to get it to zero as do the other major energy users around the globe. Mother Earth is buckling under the strain.

(NB Jan I also recall seeing an article a few years ago that said Oz would be ground zero for this type of thing - fragile environment, very dry continent etc etc easily driven to a tipping point).

Anyway, the whole world is wishing this ends ASAP. Strength.

Last edited:
The total area that has burned during this fire season so far on the east coast of Australia is more than 84,000 KM^2, this is a larger area than more than half of the countries on this planet of ours and more than 1% of our massive country. It's an area almost 10 times as large as burned in the Amazon in the last year (9,000 KM^2).

More than 2,500 homes and 21 lives have been lost this fire season with lots of people still missing. This fire season still has months to go.

I hope the world (Australia included) wakes up to the idea that climate change is very real. Decisive action is required.

We are all guilty, everything we consume helps to contribute to climate change.
Mahatma Gandhi once quoted "live simply so others may simply live" probably now needs to read "live simply so that we all may simply live"
Rampant consumerism is the culprit.

This guy noticed the causes of climate change quite a while back
Alexander von Humboldt: the first environmentalist - BBC Science Focus Magazine

Time to rethink our next purchase/project ?

Arthur

Michael Collins, the Apollo 11 astronaut on the command module noted how fragile the earth looked from space.
During a 50 years on interview he was asked if we are looking after our fragile planet?
He replied, "no, back then there were 2 billion humans on the earth now there are 8".
We are all doomed, that little manipulated Swede doesn't have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.