Vacuum cleaners

Since an unsatisfied neighbour threw the multi-$ best ever machine away... What was the defect?
I mean, considering the price one would try to fix it I would think?! Could have one too recently from someone that suddenly did not like it anymore but could not accurately describe why he hated it. Curious.
I am not certain.....at first it would not charge so I pulled it apart, cleaned some connectors, put it together and voila !.
Most people nowadays have less than zero idea of how to fix things, especially electrical items, in particular electronic items.
In my street I also gained a Sony 36" LCD six years old, working perfectly, looks unused and still with blue protective tape over the Sony badge on the front panel !.
And in the next street a pair of Yamaha floor stander speakers, same deal, in perfect condition and looking unused.
Once a year the footpaths in the area are paved with gold lol.

I remember my mother beating the carpets in the days before we could afford a vacuum cleaner.

We originally lived in a prefab (prefabricated house) built to address the UK's post–2nd World War housing shortage.

Carpets or area rugs were laid direcly on wooden floors or on the linoleum which was introduced in the 1950s. Fitted carpets lay in the realms of the exceptionally well-to-do!

A carpet would be taken outside and hung over the washing line where my mother would set about it with a carpet beater, no doubt pretending it was my father! :)
I brought one back from Italy* where they called it a battipanni - clothes beater.
* I had to cut the handle down to get it in hand luggage. My cat loves being beaten with it. Honest! So now it's known as the battigatti. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ok you mentioned Miele :) Still a brand that produces quality stuff but at a higher price of course.

Their induction stoves are also very good. I have a 3 phase version that comes close to cooking with natural gas. Easy to handle, controles at the right places, easy to clean.

Last edited:
I guess I should have stated something a little better. I needed a cordless vacuum because I have only one good arm, I needed it to do a 1300 sq ft condo in one go and I wanted it to do as good a job or better then the corded upright I was using. It was on sale and was rated second (among those commonly found in your local store) only to its big brother the V11 which would have cost $1000 compared with the $400 I paid. I got all that I needed and more.

I don't give a shoot about any corded upright, canister style or built-in vacuum and how it can outperform a cordless. Of course it will but that doesn't matter to me, I can't use those.

You guys go ahead and hijack this thread. I'm going to vacuum something with my new Dyson.

Signed: a happy and trouble free mac owner for over 25 years. Not to mention iPad, iPod and soon to be iPhone owner.

As Cal has made clear, individual requirements differ.

So it is advisible to 'test drive' a vacuum cleaner before purchasing.

At least, that is what my wife did! :cheeky:

Attachments

• Witch Best Buy.jpg
    Witch Best Buy.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 209
hehe, I'd get clobbered if I did that.

angrypat, no problem. My right side has had a dislocated shoulder, a torn bicep and a 'funny' thumb all in the last year. None of them work related.

The cordless allows me to move things with one hand while vacuuming with the other. A huge improvement over tilting the upright vertical to lock it, shut the vacuum off, move the item, vacuum the area, go through the same routine then move the item back. Really takes the fun out of a simple chore.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> it needs emptying now and again

Get the old Electrolux. One version literally ejected the bag when vacuum rose. This was apparently not fun. Ours just pops the latch and turns-off. You can slam it and suck another minute, but when it's full it's full.

I've been a Kenmore cannister man for the last 25 years or so. Good suction - and I understand how to change the bag.

Back in the 80's I worked for DEC who made a computer called VAX. In England, another company made a vacuum called VAX. They put up an ad which said "VAX Sucks". DEC didnt like it.

> it needs emptying now and again

Get the old Electrolux. One version literally ejected the bag when vacuum rose. This was apparently not fun. Ours just pops the latch and turns-off. You can slam it and suck another minute, but when it's full it's full.

I have a ‘70s Electrolux Super J which is still going virtually trouble free after all these years. I sold it to my mom back then when I needed something to do and sold them door to door (not very successfully!!!) then. She wound up buying a newer one a few years later and gave this one to me. I think she replaced the motor in it once, but otherwise it has worked great. The lid doesn’t pop up anymore when the bag is full, but everything else works. My wife bought a new “Electrolux” upright, but I’m not impressed. I still use the old canister most of the time.