Vacuum cleaners

IIRC the name “Animal” (usually accented with Purple plastic parts) referred to a series that was intended for Pet Owners.
In the stick models, they have Motorhead, Animal and Absolute. The accessories are the same, it's about how many of them you get. Only the Motorhead was on sale so we got only two accessories.
I had 20 years of Dyson and finally took the plunge and got a Shark.
I am only familiar with their hand held units. They don't seem to be battery experts. It lasts no more than five minutes and will not hold a chrge for more then two days. I've had two of them. The second was given to me as I wasn't about to make that mistake again. I understand things have improved since I bought about 7 years ago.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
All this chatter over vacuums and those dyson things.
The mention previously of "marketing hype" is exactly what bose, among others, does to attract buyers.
Catch-words, fancy phrases and labels - all designed to entice the cave-dweller ignorant enough to bite the hook.
This is what manufacturers hope for, plain and simple.
Digital - Hi Def - 4K - UltraLinear - "Super" VHS - SACD - Ultrasonic - ..........the list is endless.
When in reality, you won't even notice the difference in your day to day life, but at least you'll have "bragging rights" from your expensive outlay, and walk much lighter due to that wallet being trimmed down.
Most people don't care, because most people are devoid of any technical knowledge about what they've purchased.

For a brief period, I worked for Eureka's east-coast service/customer center in the late 1980's, and was able to compare vacuums from other manufacturers.
Eureka made a solid, well built, reliable line of floorcare machines.
And yes, I own 3 of them, one that I custom-built at cost price that I still use today.
That machine was the "Boss" upright, but with the upgraded brushroll, a more powerful motor, metal handle, longer cord, better filtration bag, etc.
It compared to their "Sanitaire" line of higher priced commercial vacuums.
And to this day, I prefer a "bagged" machine over the hyped-up "bagless" crap out there.

Another brand, the Panasonics, who also made machines for Kenmore/Sears, were excellent machines. but sadly Panasonic stopped making them in 2016, and Sears stores are now history too.
You get your money's worth from those machines.

Dyson blew into the scene with "innovative" products and hasn't stopped with all the fancy hype, so naturally it made them popular.

Of course, the mindset of a lot of people are different, and some are stubborn about their way of thinking, there's no convincing them that marketing hype is only there to get their money.
But has anyone checked out the bad reviews from Dyson, or any company, before diving into their bank account?
Few do.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
He, he, I see you got sucked in to one those, I'll stick with my inexpensive Dirt Devil.

List price of Dirt devil is same as I paid for my dyson over here. I can't see inexpensive. Also luckily I understand that getting a woman who has been sliced open and trying to look after a baby with no usable core muscles what she wants rather than trying to save a few $ is the way to support a relationship.

Bought a Dyson. 2 years later it is on its second motor and battery. Unless it is cleaned every week, it emits the smell of fermenting dog fur whenever it is used. Not real impressed for what it costs.

Central vac. Quieter than pretty much anything else, only needs to be emptied once every few weeks, and powerful enough to vacuum up screws and paperclips. This is the ultimate solution in my eyes.

If I were to purchase another portable vacuum, I'd probably just resort to using a shop vac. Most domestic vacuum cleaners are too anemic to keep up with my industrial shedding machine (border collie).

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
... using a shop vac....

Yes. They are less over-"featured" and more power for the buck than domestic suckers. They hold a LOT more dirt (not an advantage if you let it sit until it molds). They will eat rocks and water. They often turn-up in barn-sales cheap. Some come with hose that fits Hoover/Electrolux wands and heads (that you got on the last yard-sale). Main thing is that they don't roll behind the hose around the house like a low-profile machine, they tip.

Numatic make a range of domestic vacs with silly names and smily faces Henry is the popular one. Powerful and beatings proof. I only wish I had got the model with the beater brush. Although when I shared a flat with someone who had a corded dyson I was horrified at the amount of carpet fibres in the dust container. It was basically tearing the carpet up.

Oh and I also get horrified with the black water that comes out when I rent a carpet cleaner.

You can get the beater brush on eBay pretty cheaply.. our Henry didn't come with one, so I got it after market. It's a very good vacuum, does everything needed and has a good capacity.

Well, say what you like, I can't argue if I've only owned it for two days but I can say, it's heads and tails better than the dirt devil
- It cost only a little more than the dirt devil did all those years ago.
- It is much easier and convenient to use in many ways
- It does a far better job of cleaning
- Dyson continues to lead the pack in independent testing of commonly available stick vacuums

At this point the naysayers do not have me worried, just confused.

Bought a Dyson. 2 years later it is on its second motor and battery. Unless it is cleaned every week, it emits the smell of fermenting dog fur whenever it is used. Not real impressed for what it costs.

Central vac. Quieter than pretty much anything else, only needs to be emptied once every few weeks, and powerful enough to vacuum up screws and paperclips. This is the ultimate solution in my eyes.

If I were to purchase another portable vacuum, I'd probably just resort to using a shop vac. Most domestic vacuum cleaners are too anemic to keep up with my industrial shedding machine (border collie).

Those shopvacs have some suck, my wife used the clean the budgie's cage out with one and several times the bird ended up in the bin.

...Most people don't care, because most people are devoid of any technical knowledge about what they've purchased. [Amen, brother!]

For a brief period, I worked for Eureka's east-coast service/customer center in the late 1980's, and was able to compare vacuums from other manufacturers.
Eureka made a solid, well built, reliable line of floorcare machines.
And yes, I own 3 of them, one that I custom-built at cost price that I still use today.
That machine was the "Boss" upright, but with the upgraded brushroll, a more powerful motor, metal handle, longer cord, better filtration bag, etc.
It compared to their "Sanitaire" line of higher priced commercial vacuums.
And to this day, I prefer a "bagged" machine over the hyped-up "bagless" crap out there.

Another brand, the Panasonics, who also made machines for Kenmore/Sears, were excellent machines. but sadly Panasonic stopped making them in 2016, and Sears stores are now history too.
You get your money's worth from those machines.

My Dad had a TV & Appliance Store in a small Wisconsin town in the Late 1970s through Late 1980s and also sold Eureka vacs.

That "Sanitaire" series was damned-near indestructible under normal use. In my single days, I had one of their cannister vacs that I bought at a yard sale. It took nice, BIG bags and I used it for about 12 years after (it also lasted us through our first 2 years after we got hitched...)

Dad bought parts from a little "Vac Shop" in the Milwaukee area - I would pick-up his orders when I drove home on weekends from school in Milwaukee. That shop had several "old-timers" who really knew their stuff and they swore by the Eureka and Panasonic units that THEY sold.

Heck, even Mom's old Hoover upright that she had when we were kids lasted from the late 1960s until it finally died in about 1980 - but back then, nearly EVERYTHING was made less cheaply than it is now / designed to be serviceable rather than use it for 2-5 years and throw it away...

I'm NOT "officially" a Geezer (yet) - but I'm definitely splashing-around knee deep in the old-guy waters...