What was your last surgery?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ichiban, I have a very nearly identical story. Stage 3-4 colorectal cancer, ....
Yours was 17 years ago and you're still chugging? Fantastic, thanks for sharing! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I wish you the best of health. My CRC was Stage 3A. On my first visit with the oncologist he gave me a 90 to 95 percent chance of remission, as they don't like to say cure I've read. My resection was also that low, the surgeon was excellent. For CRC patients the odds are very good these days. Again, wishing you the best.
-ICHIBAN aka Joe

...Rough up the spot with Scotch Brite...

Aye... I got through the descriptions of DIY surgery (I've done similar "procedures" on various benign growths), but now this is starting to sound like what I do when drilling amplifier top plates out of aluminum.

D**n!

Glad you're ok though. I guess I'm lucky. In all my years of surveying, wearing a high SPF sunscreen was a condition of employment for that very reason. I have yet to develop anything related to prolonged sun exposure, but you never know.

And ichiban and tsmith: my hat's off to you both.

Last edited:
I'm 62 and in the spring of this year, I tested positive for prostate cancer. Scheduled the next possible slot for an RP procedure. We believe it was encapsulated in the gland and margins were good. So far, the PSA is zilch. Forget doing anything with the ladies, but I can still hear in stereo!

I had emergency surgery in the early summer of 92 at 32 yrs. and ended up loosing half my large intestine as it had turned gangrenous. I was unconscious when they flew me to Winnipeg , 500 miles to the south.

They put a bag in and had that for 6 months till they removed as this std procedure due to infectious tissue. The bag was interesting as I knew it was temp. That second surgery left me a bad infection due to leaking staples, that again put me close to the grim reaper. They thought I may have had cancer so they really looked around then also as they pulled my organs to look. I was sure sore after that also!

I had read about a Dr. in a Sept. 1982 Life mag. beating cancer so I ended up on a similar diet as I have bad allergies to the chemicals etc. used in foods and animals since WWII.

I also had a nasty lump under the skin on my right arm that had grown in size over 7 years till it was hurting due to the fact it was pulling on the skin (they wanted to deal wit it later in a separate surgery) and it slowly shrunk and totally disappeared after a few months!

I wrote it up 2 yrs ago and helped 2 people I know in their 70's with terminal cancer I know and they were willing to try it. They are doing very well!

Diet & Ways to Boost the Immune System

- Gets weaker especially as we age or from what we eat or inhale.

-Even if Genetics may play a role it’s worth a try!

Macrobiotic Diet (Following Sept 1982 LIFE Magazine article where a Dr. tried it to help his bad cancer situation where it had spread to most of his organs and bones -which it did keep it at bay till about 1998 when he was in a bad car accident and died shortly after it. He first started the diet in about 1974 . to Boost the Immune system. The Cancer disappeared from his CAT scans in a few months only coming back if he got off the diet.

Dr. Gundry’s (New York - Heart Surgeon) recent recommendations (Re- Lectins) ) follow this diet closely and to him it helps for heart disease, cancer, and inflammation problems and related diseases.

It also helps those with IBD, acid reflux, arthritis & Type I & II Diabetic diseases. Maybe Dementia & nervous system diseases too!

Worth a try for any disease! Dr’s @ Scientific American have said “We are what we eat”

No colds or flues anymore!

Feel much younger, have more energy, & live longer!

It contains no processed food, meat, sugar or drinks or deep fried foods.

Most “ Wild Salmon” is farm fed so avoid it and Organic Seafood should be good. Canned Salmon (Walmart Brand seems to have a safe new lining) & local Jack, Pickerel , & Trout fish. Limit Tuna because of Mercury and local fish can have some.

Avoid canned though because of the lining and fresh or frozen has more food value.

Organic Asparagus , Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions, Swiss Chard, Kale, Garlic, Cauliflower, Avocado, Lettuce & fresh Mushrooms.

Organic Apples, Oranges (lemons & grapefruit) , Peaches, Pears, Nectarines, Berries etc. (Peeling doesn’t help as chemicals soak in.) Even with organic bananas don’t eat the black core as it is full of bacteria.

Big US name brand Raisins & Prunes may be okay.

Organic Spices best or avoid most at first.

Don’t drink Chlorinated water because the Chlorine turns the organics in the water carcinogenic & distilled water & reverse osmosis may not be best long term as the process removes the minerals. You can however get a filter that add the right minerals.
Freezing water slowly and using the resulting ice on top for drinking seems to be a great way to purify it as it squeezes out the bad stuff!

No grains, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, and most nuts as they highly inflame the system. A small amount of white rice may be okay later on as it is lowest on the list. It may be possible to pressure cook dried beans to reduce their count a lot too and try later.

Scientific American & Fine Home Building mention carcinogens in the home should be avoided and include ones from harsh cleaners like Mr. Clean etc., painting, wood oils, , glade plug ins, perfumed candles & soaps etc. as they contain petrol products & formaldehyde.

If building new or doing renovations beware of formaldehyde in laminated flooring, plywood, and cabinets and furniture. You can buy plywood without it and sub materials.

Multiple Vitamins have been found to be not the best for many people with reactions to them. Chemicals or contaminants or reaction to some vitamins could be the issue especially in excess.

Pain killers and acid control meds for heartburn can damage critical organs like the kidneys so improved diet habits are best used.

There was a recent documentary on TV about Golf Courses using HD pesticides & herbicides that are banned, but allowed strangely as it’s about $. Bottom line is workers and some golfers that are out there have a lot have high cancer rates.

Of course is still helps to get plenty of exercise, and once you start it will get easier!

A Radon test kit may be in order also.

Dr. Gundry's Lectins list:

Attachments

• Lectins in Food List (1).jpg
    Lectins in Food List (1).jpg
    228 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
dunno 'bout that

Sounds like mostly feel-good urban legend stuff at best (Dr. Oz, Dr Ho come to mind)... most of these food related avoidance recommendations are, at best, metadata derived from personal observations with little or no basis in fact.

Most doctors often have strong personal belief systems and tend to focus on their specific areas of expertise, to the exclusion of reality (cardiologists here are tripping over each other trying to find patients), dismissing any input that doesn't fit their model. Magical thinking is alive and well in the medical field in general and holistic herbal treatments in particular.

The chloramine issue with drinking water is a non-starter... measured levels are too low to have any statistical significance.

If I eat what others ascribe as a healthy diet (whole grains, lots of fruit, limit fats and meats, etc.) I'd be miserable and probably die, since I don't have much ileum left (where excess bile is resorbed), and anything that stimulates bile acid secretions (broccoli, beans, non fatty fish, lean meats, etc.) blows through me in maybe 20 minutes or so.

So lots of steak, burgers, cheeses and dairy products, bacon, fatty ham, processed fruits and veggies work great for me. YMMV.

If all the touchy-feel-y stuff makes one feel better after major health issues, go for it. Placebo effects are rampant in health issues.

I found paying attention to the Lectins list I found about 2.5 yrs. ago as Dr. Gundry has put out free info that I thought I would give a try with as I had developed bad arthritis pain in my neck several years before and (as part of my job riding in rough bush vehicles with a helmet which really made it worse) and then 4 yrs ago my knees and hip pain made things worse.

The benefits out weighed giving up on more foods as I now feel great and like 25 again!

Every individual is different of course, but sometimes there is no other alternative but to try something new.

Every individual is different of course

There are such wide differences among humans that what food works for one, will make another sick. Lectins do stimulate inflammatory responses in SOME people, as do a lot of fruit and vegetable foods, and of course grains in general.

As for Dr. Gundry, and Dr. Oz, I tend to stay far away from people who tend to do "saturation bombing" runs on my computer daily. I have seen "top cardiologist says throw out this food immediately" far too many times, and no, I'm not going to click to find out what it is...….chances are I ate some recently.

The original diet called the "Macrobiotic Diet" was very simple and actually eliminated the high in lectin foods, but of course one wants to try different foods outside of it.

The Dr. in the Sept 1982 LIFE mag article had a sore back and felt off and found he had terminal cancer in 1974 or so, as he had it in his bones and critical organs. His father had just died from cancer also.

He went for chemo treatments by bus as they made him very weak and sick and was given the diet by some young university guys on the bus. He thought he would try the diet for the heck of it as the chemo wasn't helping him as his CAT scans showed.

He got better in the months that followed with all traces of the cancer disappearing.

In 1999 my Uncle found he had terminal cancer so I phoned Methodist Hospital in Philadelphia where he had worked and a Dr. that worked with him told me that he died the year before from injuries in a bad car accident. She said as long as he stuck to the diet he was fine.

The people I gave it to coming up to 2 and 1.5 yrs ago respectively are now doing fine (which they weren't before) and look great.

Your basically just eating good food without all the crap that processed foods too much chemicals bring. We are what we eat and take in.

In the late 1800's cancer was well known about and they even realized that poor dusty/dirty working conditions and oily unclean clothing worn by workers could cause it for sure. Smoking was even being suspected as bad by 1900. Cancer was quiet rare also in the 1930's which is before processed food and chemicals on the farm fields was started after WW II. Now 1 and 2 will get it. 1/4 of my family has had it so far.

Dr. Gundry is just trying to get the word out and isn't charging for his info and that is why I decided to try it as I was in a lot of pain most of the time, especially with my neck. Driving was even hard as the vibrations and bumps were leaving me in a lot of pain. I found leaning over so my neck wasn't vertical helped as well as driving really slow , but that was dangerous! Anyway as I said , NO MORE PAIN!

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The original diet called the "Macrobiotic Diet" was very simple and actually eliminated the high in lectin foods, but of course one wants to try different foods outside of it.

The Dr. in the Sept 1982 LIFE mag article had a sore back and felt off and found he had terminal cancer in 1974 or so, as he had it in his bones and critical organs. His father had just died from cancer also.

He went for chemo treatments by bus as they made him very weak and sick and was given the diet by some young university guys on the bus. He thought he would try the diet for the heck of it as the chemo wasn't helping him as his CAT scans showed.

He got better in the months that followed with all traces of the cancer disappearing.

In 1999 my Uncle found he had terminal cancer so I phoned Methodist Hospital in Philadelphia where he had worked and a Dr. that worked with him told me that he died the year before from injuries in a bad car accident. She said as long as he stuck to the diet he was fine.

The people I gave it to coming up to 2 and 1.5 yrs ago respectively are now doing fine (which they weren't before) and look great.

Your basically just eating good food without all the crap that processed foods too much chemicals bring. We are what we eat and take in.

In the late 1800's cancer was well known about and they even realized that poor dusty/dirty working conditions and oily unclean clothing worn by workers could cause it for sure. Smoking was even being suspected as bad by 1900. Cancer was quiet rare also in the 1930's which is before processed food and chemicals on the farm fields was started after WW II. Now 1 and 2 will get it. 1/4 of my family has had it so far.

Dr. Gundry is just trying to get the word out and isn't charging for his info and that is why I decided to try it as I was in a lot of pain most of the time, especially with my neck. Driving was even hard as the vibrations and bumps were leaving me in a lot of pain. I found leaning over so my neck wasn't vertical helped as well as driving really slow , but that was dangerous! Anyway as I said , NO MORE PAIN!
Give us a list of what you do eat

Your basically just eating good food without all the crap that processed foods too much chemicals bring.

That is the most important aspect of any diet where improving longevity or quality of life is the dominant factor.

Almost every weekday morning I get in my car and drive to the gym where there are 4 to 6 cars in the parking lot. Unfortunately I must wait in the traffic jam behind the long line of cars waiting to turn left into McDonalds......and we wonder why we are overweight and get cancer.

Choose any food that comes from the ground or the animal to you unprocessed or minimally processed over any food that comes from a factory in a box.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
In 2002 I was operated for a broken ankle that wouldn't have healed by itself. The surgeons had to fix the parts with a few screws, showing on the pic. The operation also required anesthetics injected into the spine. To prevent me from using the injured foot like I did the previous time, I was kept at the hospital for 3 weeks. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Leishmaniasis although I suspected skin cancer (BCC or SCC). Treatment didn't help, I went for a biopsy at another hospital and it turned out to be SCC. I turned down the offer for operation, knowing that SCC often returns, especially after operation. I managed to treat it myself and also managed to treat the return, 2 times (yet).

Attachments

• Ankle fracture.jpg
    Ankle fracture.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 196
Discopete here is that part from the Diet I first posted.

Most “ Wild Salmon” is farm fed so avoid it and Organic Seafood should be good. Canned Salmon (Walmart Brand seems to have a safe new lining) & local Jack, Pickerel , & Trout fish. Limit Tuna because of Mercury and local fish can have some.

Avoid canned though because of the lining and fresh or frozen has more food value.

Organic Asparagus , Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions, Swiss Chard, Kale, Garlic, Cauliflower, Avocado, Lettuce & fresh Mushrooms.

Organic Apples, Oranges (lemons & grapefruit) , Peaches, Pears, Nectarines, Berries etc. (Peeling doesn’t help as chemicals soak in.) Even with organic bananas don’t eat the black core as it is full of bacteria.

Big US name brand Raisins & Prunes may be okay.

Organic Spices best or avoid most at first.

I do eat a small amount of white rice as a filler as brown is high in Lectins.

Sometimes too much! LOL!

I often grind it in a grain grinder (you can also buy the flour , but it is more costly) and you can make pancakes with just water and some olive oil. The trick is steam it together by using a lid. You can pour a little water beside the pancake to provide the steam if it's too dry.

You can also just put the desired amount of flour in the pan and add enough water so it is quite soupy with about a teaspoon of olive oil also and stir it well, then heat to a boil with the lid on and quickly reduce the heat to low as you will otherwise burn the bottom.

Heat it for a total 5-10 min depending on temp etc. to cook it together and it will taste good with your veg. an fish. You can put onions, chopped garlic or whatever veg or even fish in the mixture. Fruit like blue berries can be nice in the pancakes.

I just started growing carrots, lettuce, broccoli , and red cabbage this year in pots and brought some inside for the winter. I found broccoli and cabbage are surviving so far and even sprout new growth after I cut the centers out of the cabbage and sprouts off the broc. Slower than on a hot summer day , but with the lights on 24 hrs/day it's not bad.

Cabbage can't be over watered as they die as I found.

Last edited:
I found the cooked rice flour can also help with a sore stomach also and on the topic of self surgery I found concentrated table salt in a small amount of H2O can kill the pain (as it kills most of the bacteria) of a tooth cavity after several rinses.

I followed up with cayenne pepper every day , but only once during the day. 1/4 teaspoon mixed in with highly liquid food is enough to kill the bacteria so no pain at all! Also kills the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers, so I found as a result as it had returned 3-4 years ago. Just follow up with water and your regular food.

After having been hospitalised a number of times with episodes of acute-on-chronic pancreatitis, I had my gallbladder removed in July. This was supposed to stop the attacks, but I subsequently had two episodes during the summer, which again landed me in hospital.

Since then, MRI's have shown that there is still a gallstone that the surgeon missed lodged in the remnants of the cystic duct. I also have a pseudo-cyst on the head of the pancreas. There isn't much in the way of functioning pancreas tissue either, so I have to take enzyme capsules with food. Happily, the pancreas can apparently recover and repair itself. I feel much better than I did earlier in the year, when I was rolling around in agony on a hospital bed dosed up on morphine.

One incidental good that came out of staying in hospital was that I stopped smoking.

Last edited:
Phonebones, if you have kidney cancer and the tumor was in the kidney and not anywhere else you have a pretty good chance of surviving a long long long time. A human kidney is about 12 centimeters long and bean shaped. Ie kidney bean. My kidney tumor was 14 cm long by 8cm by 8cm. I was lucky in that my kidney stretched to 17 cm in length as the tumor grew. Its been over 8 years now since i was operated on and I have one more set of scans due in a year or so. If the scans are still clear my urologist won't want to see me anymore.

Hope for clear scans and don't worry too much. Remember it has been shown that if you are otherwise in good health and have a positive outlook your odds of surviving are 20-30% higher than if you worry about it.

I have met too many people who have kidney cancer. A woman I met had her kidney removed, part of her intestines, part of her liver, 24 lymph nodes removed and a rib. Her original incision went from her neck to her groin. Once she survived that ordeal, they removed and replaced one of her hips that also had a tumor. After that surgery they removed a part of her spine as there was a mass in one of her vertebres. She was in bad shape for a while but she's going strong now. To look at her you wouldn't think anything is wrong and she's back to work as a nurse.

After having been hospitalised a number of times with episodes of acute-on-chronic pancreatitis, I had my gallbladder removed in July. This was supposed to stop the attacks, but I subsequently had two episodes during the summer, which again landed me in hospital.

Since then, MRI's have shown that there is still a gallstone that the surgeon missed lodged in the remnants of the cystic duct. I also have a pseudo-cyst on the head of the pancreas. There isn't much in the way of functioning pancreas tissue either, so I have to take enzyme capsules with food. Happily, the pancreas can apparently recover and repair itself. I feel much better than I did earlier in the year, when I was rolling around in agony on a hospital bed dosed up on morphine.

One incidental good that came out of staying in hospital was that I stopped smoking.

Funny you mention the smoking thing.I too had my gallbladder out (laprascopically) at the end of October this year.I too quit smoking at that time,must be the painkillers,taking them helped ease the anxiety of quitting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.