What your cell phone really costs you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Walmart...... Phone was about 60 bucks, and then just $50/month for absolutely unlimited talk, txt, AND data. No contract there. 4G is fast enough for streaming video, that I can then cast onto the big screen TV, connected to stereo system.:D Also, can connect to PC with wireless network. Streaming audio to Bluetooth reciever, connection to stereo. I'm cheap.:rolleyes: Why spend more? I don't bother with Comcrash or Satellite fleecing contracts either.;)

As much as my smartphone is by far the most annoying electronic device I own, it has gotten to the point where it is nearly impossible to get through a day without the stupid thing. It is one of the few costly electronic devices that adds no value to my life and gives me zero pleasure. That said, it's pretty much expected that students have a smartphone. There are a few things that are somewhat nice about it though.

1) Always have a scientific calculator on me. Maybe it's because I'm an engineering student, but that app sees more use than pretty much any other.

2) When a bunch of idiots sit down at the same table in the dining hall and start talking about politics, religion or how much they hate their professors, my phone is a convenient way to avoid participating in that conversation. This seems to happen at least four times a week.

3) If texting minimizes how often I have to listen to people using the paging system at work, I'm all for it.

The thing that gets me is that the call quality on modern phones is generally worse than SSB voice on HF. I have therefore taken to using a phonetic alphabet whenever the call quality goes south (so about 100% of the time).

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Re: H713.....
"As much as my smartphone is by far the most annoying electronic device I own, it has gotten to the point where it is nearly impossible to get through a day without the stupid thing."

That's sad, really.
Imagine living back in the 1960's/70's, when people actually interacted with each other in a pleasant way generally.
Life was so much more "realistic" back then, I should know, I'm 66 now.
But I digress.

The funny thing is, all this "new technology" available now is touted as being so great, wonderful, bringing people together..... LOL!
In reality, it's actually driving people apart, making them "virtual" of sorts.
And making them rely (addicted) on a goofy battery-operated device.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I bought a chinese phone from china... Wasn't expensive and has about 10 days battery life (ok, it's not a tiny one, 10000mAH battery) so it works when I need it...
Unlimited calls, texts and 8GB data costs £9 per month. I use it just enough justify a contract, rather than PAYG.
Cheap phones are great as wifi based terminals - mine allows me to control a number of bits of test gear and switches.

Maybe I've misunderstood something and I may not be great at math, but I think there might be a slight error in the math of the first post. Or at least if someone really has a genuine way to turn $100 per month to 1.5 million over a few decades just by giving the money to a bank, please let us know. I'm sure there will be a lot of takers for that offer.

$100 per month = $1200 per year = $72000 per 60 years. Even if the bank would pay you 4% annual interest (good luck) for the whole sum of 72000 right off the bat (which they don't, obviously) after 60 years of waiting you'd still have only $250k. And then you die. Oh boy, that sure was worth the wait! Not to mention that where I come from finding a savings account that has more than 1% interest rate has been pretty much impossible for about 10 years. There are plenty of pretty good savings calculators online and they all give pretty much the same numbers. Between 250k and 300k for 60 years.

I also need a cellphone for a lot of things i do (work, hobbies). But i'm certainly not a slave of it. I use it during working hours, and for the rest i may take a look at it, but very often it's on my desk all evening/day without any interaction of myself. And if you call me outside office hours, the chance is very big you end up on my voiceemail because i don't have it with me.

And i don't need the latest most fancy device. I now use an Iphone 6S i took over very cheap from someone, and wich still do all i need. I never buy the latest model, and almost never spend more than 200€ for it. Old iphones do the job still (android phones not), so i stick to older iphones for the moment.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to think my mobile phone bill was expensive (it's not cheap). But then I happened across a stack of my old phone bills going back to the early 1990s. Yikes! Not cheap. Sure the base rate was low, but any long distance quickly pushed the bill up to over $100. That's about $185 USD today. And I don't spend much time on the phone. I was very surprised at how much I used to pay. When I first got on dial-up Internet I had a free account, but it was along distance toll call! I did as much as possible off line.

So for what my wife and I pay for 2 lines, no long distance charges and a little pocket computer with a world wide data connection seems cheap to me.

I bought a chinese phone from china... Wasn't expensive and has about 10 days battery life (ok, it's not a tiny one, 10000mAH battery) so it works when I need it...

I got one like that for work, only mine has a 12500mah battery... Charge it roughly once a week. Use it only for light email work, documentation, and our service platform, oh and the calculator is in frequent use too!

For home use I just ordered a 5500mah battery one with ip68 rating. Not happy with the Xiaomi MI 9 SE, even though it has 4000mah battery the snapdragon 712 chomps through it in a day. I actually prefer the Helios series CPU from mediatek.

Smartphones are absolutely fantastic for working out in the field, you have documentation, good camera, backup flashlight, and entertainment/news during lunch if you're alone.
And using noise cancelling heaphones on bluetooth with some great tunes is awesome in constant noise environments (or in the office :D).

Edit:
Oh, and I pay about 100$ for the family, 2 kids and 2 grownups. Free calls and sms, hard limits on data, but that's what wifi is for. I got 200mbps fiber at home.

Last edited:
The cell phone industry has employed a lot of people and paid them good wages.

A lot of landowners profit from tower leases and other need for real estate.

A cell phone allows a professional person some freedom to be out of the office, or to not need a pager or answering service, and be much more accessible in a time is of the essence situation. Some people / professions charge for phone calls, so you can make a buck while mowing grass or whatever.

I posted this from my cell phone, please excuse any typos. If the cell phone isn't making your life better, why not just get rid of it?

Re: H713.....
"As much as my smartphone is by far the most annoying electronic device I own, it has gotten to the point where it is nearly impossible to get through a day without the stupid thing."

That's sad, really.
Imagine living back in the 1960's/70's, when people actually interacted with each other in a pleasant way generally.
Life was so much more "realistic" back then, I should know, I'm 66 now.
But I digress.

The funny thing is, all this "new technology" available now is touted as being so great, wonderful, bringing people together..... LOL!
In reality, it's actually driving people apart, making them "virtual" of sorts.
And making them rely (addicted) on a goofy battery-operated device.

Yep, just walk in any restaurant and look at any group of people.

Sure, but in the 60's people were being made addicted to even goofier non-battery operated smoking devices and that was supposed to be a socially positive thing as well. There will always be a generational bias especially in the ageing population of every community. Everything was better back in the good ol' days, right? Them youngsters don't know anything and they're doing everything all wrong! Now get off my lawn!

Last edited:
Mooly said:
My PAYG mobile cost me around £29 some 9 years ago. I reckon on average I've spent around £5 to no more than £10 per annually on credit since then.
Similar to my phone usage. Some UK networks are now dropping PAYG and forcing people to take out a contract. Given how little use I make of their network maybe they should give it to me for free? They won't notice whether I am there or not.

When I retired last year I returned my company phone and still have no cell phone. People don't understand and think I'm a ludite. I can use my wife's phone and do, less than daily, but it bugs her. I had planned to finally get one, but I'm thinking twice, and its not about the money. Any thoughts?

My wife pays for a Rogers plan. She got me a Sony for free, so that's what I use. It's a decent phone, and is water resistant, so still works if I get wet out on the bike.

jeff

I have a two year old Samsung S-5 and am using Cricket. It cost $35/Mo. I don't need unlimited anything, and often times set my phone down when I get home and don't touch it until the next morning.

I think my data limit is 2GB/Mo. I typically use less than 500MB/mo.

OK Boomer.:rolleyes:

Life was so much more "realistic" back then
The attached photo depicts the reality of life in the Gorbals, Glasgow in 1970.

At least they could afford a record player!

Attachments

• 1970 Gorbals.jpg
    1970 Gorbals.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 96
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.