Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Eureka or bust... Stereo experiments.
Eureka or bust... Stereo experiments.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 06:25 PM   #41
soundbloke is offline soundbloke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbintip View Post
Are you talking about Stereo or Mid/Side? They are not the same indeed...
I was referring to stereo represented in MS format as opposed to LR format. Their relationship via energy preserving coding/decoding means they are the same thing information-wise.

But reproducing only an M channel over two loudspeakers merely introduces some of the deleterious artefacts of conventional stereo. Comparing "apples to apples" is then not so straightforward.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:45 PM   #42
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
But because of the ear-brain working, it is possible that even if you create exactly the original sound wave you can still 'hear' something else than the original
The term is perception.

Jan
Well, If you happened to chew a Juicy Fruit at the time of the original event but didn't at reproduction - and felt "I miss something" - I cant help you

//
Old 7th November 2019, 09:33 PM   #43
Robbintip is offline Robbintip  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbloke View Post
I was referring to stereo represented in MS format as opposed to LR format. Their relationship via energy preserving coding/decoding means they are the same thing information-wise.

But reproducing only an M channel over two loudspeakers merely introduces some of the deleterious artefacts of conventional stereo. Comparing "apples to apples" is then not so straightforward.
Thank you for your reply. M/S is an interesting topic. I've been looking into to it today, the interchangeability is fascinating. The artefacts you speak of, would they exist if playback was over a single loudspeaker, in other words are you talking about comb filtering artefacts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Well, If you happened to chew a Juicy Fruit at the time of the original event but didn't at reproduction - and felt "I miss something" - I cant help you

//
Agreed. We can look into possibilities of injecting secundary signals during playback.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th November 2019, 03:41 AM   #44
Robbintip is offline Robbintip  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A more serious post today...

YouTube
A YouTube video titled "Hear the first stereo ever, Blumlein's original recordings from 80yrs ago"

I've watched it on the setup with 4 monopole speakers as per the first experiment.
The narrating voice clearly audible as if coming from the front speakers.
The recordings made by Blumlein: coming from all around.

Another original:
YouTube
This 'walking and talking' video demonstration of channel seperation:
I obviously can hear who is talking in the video, left or right, sound coming in from the front. But when the 'clapper' is shut with force at 1:22 I can hear the reflections of the sound coming in from behind as well.

Anybody else testing this?

Last edited by Robbintip; 11th November 2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11th November 2019, 05:43 AM   #45
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, the wonders of stereophonic sound!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StromburgHiFi.jpg (60.4 KB, 18 views)

Eureka or bust... Stereo experiments.Hide this!Advertise here!