Often, I know nowhere else to go

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It always looks like those 'above you' are not deserving.

I sort of get the main gist of what you're saying. But there is a very clear difference between someone capable of making a proper decision, and then there's those that struggle to wipe their own *lower-backside* but still manage to cover it up somehow.
I do not care about roles at all, people just doing their jobs for the most part.
But I also have little care for people not doing their jobs.

I am of the contention that this might be a bit of a crisis, a "what are you doing with your life?"...much ado about nothing really. Are there fewer days ahead than behind?, yes, in my case that has become blatantly obvious...with a looming medical condition. The specter of mortality has arisen for myself as well...how I want to be remembered, where am I going, what will happen, ...likely it won't matter as I just won't be aware of anything anyways.

We all have this love of music, our rational, analytical, mathematical selves comes thru...tempered by this love of melody, harmony...

Right now, I'm debating, rationalizing...did I get my aperiodic enclosure dimensions estheticall pleasing, do I go for the .618 offset for my driver location, or do I go for the .707?....does the .707 have some ethereal "magical" quality? Will this full-range driver perform as I predict?...will the 20W max rating like or dislike the 100W available...will I "smoke it"?

I sort of get the main gist of what you're saying. But there is a very clear difference between someone capable of making a proper decision, and then there's those that struggle to wipe their own *lower-backside* but still manage to cover it up somehow.
I do not care about roles at all, people just doing their jobs for the most part.
But I also have little care for people not doing their jobs.

I didn’t exclude the possibility of incompetence. All roles have that certainty.

That girl is beautiful, but VERY young, I feel a little guilty looking at her.

Anyway, I don't remember how I stumbled in here, but I'm very glad I did. I too spend a good amount of time reading, but don't post much, because I really don't have anything to add, being that I don't know much. I just read up and follow the recipe to build something. I was a an auto mechanic, pretty good, but never considered myself an "a" tech. I work in a technical (sort of) job, installing and repairing FiOS fiber optic service for Verizon, and again, I'm pretty good at it, trouble shooting, getting a wire to a difficult spot etc. I'm not an idiot, but there are people here I would have trouble talking with, due to there deep knowledge of electronics and audio.

The sheer volume of expertise here is incredible, the engineers, the tinkerers, the industry pros, the mad men (looking at you XRK, and ZENMOD). But everyone here is always friendly, open, and helpful. The people here make this an easy and welcoming place. I so far have completed an F6 amp, and I am working on (slooooowly) a B3 pre, and an AKSA Lender pre, and a High Octane phono stage, and hopefully in the future an M2 amp. I would never have attempted any of this if not for this forum, and knowing that there would be people to help if I found myself in trouble. When I built the F6, one side would not bias up, I posted, and received replies from Zen Mod, 6L6, Nelson Pass, and others, and I thought "F#$@, this is what the internet is supposed to be!".

This place is a retreat, but one where the intent is to teach, learn, share, and help, and enjoy. I rarely see any condescension, just an easy "no, it's not a stupid question" attitude. The lounge, the food thread, the store, this place is gold.

So, I count myself lucky to have this place to retreat to, and btw, I have shared this place with people whenever possible. Most of my posts are just wise cracks (that probably won't change). Whatever brought you here, be happy you found it, come on in and enjoy the party!

Attachments

• hattie-square.jpg
    hattie-square.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 85
I think this forum, for many, is a place to go to, an escape.
It's like that for me as well, not many around me that share my interest in audio equipment or sound.
Do not like FB and other so called "social media". Here there is a lot of good people and interesting discussions over subjects that I can not discuss with most people I know in real life.
And I can follow different threads in different topics according to what interests me, and not what other people or utterly retarded algorithms think should interest me.

But then I'll come running back here, to see if x member has his/her project working (not that I can help much, if at all), and in my own vanity, to see if anything I waffled on about, helped anyone.
That is a part of it too. If I somehow manage to help anyone at all despite my somewhat sour and nitpicking demeanour, that makes my day, or perhaps week.
Also very fun to see what other members do, there is so much good happening here. A lot to be learned. Or sometimes just be thankful that others have figured stuff out already, so I don't have to. :D

Glad that we are all different, and at different stages in life, so that we can learn from each other.

I didn’t exclude the possibility of incompetence. All roles have that certainty.
For me, and probably many others as well: Seeing and understanding that I am doing something wrong, when I am absolutely certain it is the right way. Is nearly impossible to comprehend. But I do try to admit my incompetence if and when that happens.
There's this saying along the lines of (rough translation follows):
"It's easy to see the thorn in the next mans eye, but impossible to see the beam (bearing structure) in your own."

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.