Often, I know nowhere else to go

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I deal with the "end of life" stage often at work. It has changed me. Meaning acquires a new weight, or lack of.
Mind becomes relevant, since it's all we seem to be.
Reasoning is what I come here to witness, sound minds, with or without an intended pun.
Cheers to all, we're interconnected...

I firstly feel that I should temper my somewhat venting response earlier.

I work with a fantastic bunch of smart people, who are talented, and have in ways, more experience than I do. I have learned from them all, in different ways, and they all have skills, more practised than mine, but with the uttermost respect, none of them alone could or would take my place!

John, thank for your time in such a full reply. I cant really say much against any of it, so I have to say I do largely agree, and keeping on trucking is what I intend to do.

Last edited:
Hi there!
My 2 cents: (to mondogenerator)

I am 41 as well, and had felt similarly as you do. The exact situation was that the (sh**ty) manager, who earned more that twice as much, once told me:
"You are a very good worker, but you aren't getting higher because you are not good at selling yourself".
Khmmm...yes. I was never good at "selling myself". To me it was more important to get a good job done and keep the machines (and business) running. And that manager, who had only superficial technical knowledge, was very good at "advertising and selling himself" and by just knowing some catchphrases managed to impress people and seemed to know much more than he actually did. Also, he used to spend more time after work with his superior than his wife...
So, that's how some people manage to stay on top and earn a lot.
But, I never envied them. I never wanted to become like that guy, even if someone offered me the whole money of this world. I have my family, my hobby and that makes me happy (although wife thinks that audio is useless-because it doesn't bring any extra income-but hey-that's normal isn't it ? :)
So, I am here to spend some time with folks who agree with me on the following:
1.One can never have too many speakers
2. One can never have too many amplifiers
3. Audiophilia is not a waste of of time and money - it is a necessity

Am I right? :D

"You are a very good worker, but you aren't getting higher because you are not good at selling yourself".
Rather differently, my impression about engineering was good. I found that engineering job is a suitable place for engineers like me. It is the only place where anyone with talent is allowed to go higher. Because 'Engineering' in that respect is about contract jobs where companies are paid to finish the job on time, or otherwise have to pay for any delays and failures.
From Engineering, starting from zero I moved to a company that relied heavily on IT. Once I talked to the top management saying that they recruited wrong people for manager positions and that the company wont survive if they don't make changes right away. I asked for manager position so I could contribute otherwise I had to move on. They offered me assistant manager position (because they couldn't find new position for the incumbent) so I moved on.
Later on I moved to an industry where any companies will 'survive' even if led by idiots...:mad: So I'm not as lucky as most of you.

1.One can never have too many speakers 2. One can never have too many amplifiers 3. Audiophilia is not a waste of of time and money - it is a necessity. Am I right? :D
So long as she doesn't divorce you :D

I suggest you read a book by English philosopher, Julian Baggini, titled'The Meaning of Life'. It is about what constitutes a meaningful life and, hopefully as it did for me, help you understand how you can gain control. It is written in a conversational style and easily read. Also worth reading is a book by Dr Robert Hare, who virtually defined psychopathy, so you might better judge the non-humans among us; those without compassion, empathy, guilt, or any of the traits which define humanity.

Also, remember most people are ##nts and nothing can be done to change that.

I sure hope this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone, but being financially successful has nothing to do with honesty or hard work. Quite the contrary. The loudest, rudest, self-absorbed lying egomaniacs will always win the race for money. It's about having your priorities straight. Do you appreciate yourself, your integrity and your skills more than the money you earn? I sure do and I couldn't care less if some useless pencil neck suit makes more money than I do. I know these people will be miserable having wasted their lives running after money and never quite making it big. That's a trap I won't fall into.

Apple, anyone? Microsoft perhaps? Apple creates a BS problem that you never even knew you had and sells a yearly $999 solution for that problem. One that you simply can not live without. A little bit of marketing BS on top and all the cool kids must have one. Microsoft has been selling a buggy security issue riddled beta version of their OS for decades and it still the most popular dekstop OS in the world. Both of these companies could run entire countries with their money. And you say that BS doesn't stay at the top? I beg to differ. Not only does it get you to the top and make you stay there, but the worst offenders run the world.

I know there are some companies that have tried experimenting with this, if a person does not perform satisfactory but is good at defending his/hers position, they'd get a higher position. Still not optimal? Another bump up the line...

Some people are good at talking for their own selves, if you're not one of them: good for you!

BS can indeed get you to the top, and it does not matter if it doesn't keep you there. Because if you're on the top, then you can just change/switch top...

I think it is called the "Peter Principle".

A person will rise to their level of incompetence.

Peter principle - Wikipedia

I think it is called the "Peter Principle".

A person will rise to their level of incompetence.

Peter principle - Wikipedia

I find this a far more positive view than what I consider reality.
"The Peter principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn promotion to a more senior position which requires different skills."
Seems way more fair than some things I've seen. To be rewarded for doing a good job, hah! Not gonna happen!

I think it's more: People who are good at selling themselves and bloating up their perceived skill-set get promoted. People who do a very good job stay exactly where they "should be".

All this is a pathetic reality in the trades also......as an experienced ‘jack of all trades’ who ended up cabinet/furniture making as a career I find it so difficult finding people who actually live up to their line of bs.

It’s usually the ones who don’t blow hard that actually know what’s what.

Remember too, most people believe they are above average in terms of skills and behaviour. It always looks like those 'above you' are not deserving. To those people above you, they feel the same way about the people above them. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your view looking up is the truth. Some of those high up positions are thankless tasks which only people with certain personality traits can survive - who would like to be a politician with your personal life and your life history on show for aggressive analysis and criticism ? - this is why you need narcissistic tendencies to survive in those roles. We all create the environment that each of us has to work within and to some extent we share the 'blame' for the behaviours that we criticize in others.

Last edited:
A very rounded view IMO Bigun.

I would also agree that aspects of those higher up in the echelons of work, have tasks which, thankless or not, I wouldn't want.

I also have experience of the do nothing manager, who cruises through meetings and never really achieves anything beyond words, and the type of HR professional that regards underpaid workers who willingly on board responsibility, as a 'bargain' even though they know they are underpaid, and it isnt Their money they spend..

Also, do a good job, and you make yourself indispensable, and almost unable to be premoted - who would replace them?

I'm quite happy being static in my career, so long as I'm paid correctly (and not at 80% of my peers).

I suggest you read a book by English philosopher, Julian Baggini, titled'The Meaning of Life'. It is about what constitutes a meaningful life and, hopefully as it did for me, help you understand how you can gain control. It is written in a conversational style and easily read. Also worth reading is a book by Dr Robert Hare, who virtually defined psychopathy, so you might better judge the non-humans among us; those without compassion, empathy, guilt, or any of the traits which define humanity.

Also, remember most people are ##nts and nothing can be done to change that.

Theres a John Lydon line I heard once, along similar lines ;)

Thanks for the links to reading, I'll check them out :D

Perplexing...I don't remember trip trapping over a bridge....

It's something along the lines of:

Sex Pistols manager, tells John and the band to try and write some more 'commercial' material, to help them have more appeal to the mainstream audience; the 'man-on-the-street'.

And John says something like:

"But the man-on-the-street is a C##t!"

Vix,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, they are rather similar, and I suspect my attitude is going where yours already is, if that makes sense!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.