Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Hearing Protection for Shooting
Hearing Protection for Shooting
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2019, 06:44 PM   #11
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The best ear protection seems to stop shooting
Old 25th October 2019, 06:58 PM   #12
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksimonton View Post
I think electronic hearing protection is the best
Thoughts?
Ok, you asked, so: I think this is spam publicity thinly disguised s a real question but hey, who am I to disagree?

FWIW what should be the meat of your link: "Technical Specs" ... only contains weight and size ... wtf?

YouŽll need a better effort to sell $1500 earmuffs.
Old 25th October 2019, 07:18 PM   #13
takitaj is offline takitaj  United States
diyAudio Member

I regularly (weekly+) use electronic ear muffs while shooting (Walker brand ~$50 US). I believe the ones I use are -29 or -32db, don't remember exactly. During weekly competitions, standing within a few feet of pistol muzzles or nearby large bore rifles, etc., they work great. The concussion wave hitting you in the gut from those large bores is far more uncomfortable!

They're basically a normal pair of headphone type 'muffs' with speakers inside and microphones on the outside. When a loud sound is detected the electronics will instantly cut the volume until the sound has reduced. Closing a car door is enough to do it.

The best part of this type is the ability to hold a normal conversation in between rounds without having to take them off or move them aside to understand what was said and getting caught unprotected.

Typically they also have the ability to amplify normal sounds many times for hunting. A soft whisper from across the room can be clearly understood as well as a deer (or insert favorite prey) heard rustling far off in the distance. You can also communicate quietly with your hunting partner. They're quite effective.

Best to get the kind that have stereo microphones and maintain locational information. The mono kind sounds like you're in a hallway or in a tube. When wielding some rifles they do tend to get in the way and in that case I will use an ear plug type of protection then switch back afterwards, in between rounds, so I can talk to my friends and competitors about how great my last round was.

TJ
Old 26th October 2019, 03:44 AM   #14
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> Continuous loud sounds allow your ears to adjust, fluid pressure limiting the excursion of the eardrum. ........

Not really, either effect or cause. Yes, at high level a muscle in the ear tenses-up and reduces ear-bone leverage; this is typically already damaging. And fluid pressure is how the ear works, not how it refuses sound. Your "grinder on masonry" IS a good example. And yes, shooting is something else altogether.

> ...I think this is spam publicity thinly disguised as a real question but ...

That was my first thought: unfamiliar name, commercial link embedded in post. I even suggested that at first. But I reviewed 'jacksimonton's posts: they go back many months and are semi-relevant to the threads they are in. Penny-per-post spammers don't work this hard. So I edited that out of my initial reply.

Hearing Protection for ShootingHide this!Advertise here!