Terrible Chinook and appaches here above our naburehood.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
We are out in the woods yet only a few miles from a small airport. A DC-3 size turbojet comes over our house twice a day in summer. Rich folks have large LeerJets; we can see when Martha is in town. We have single-rotor helicopters from 2-place to Coast Guard Rescue and Black Copters.

There are two Sight-Seeing tourist operations. This week the Cessnas are very busy with leaf-peepers.

But the bane of me and my dog is the dang Waco. I love the plane in concept. But it used to come over the house multiple times a day and do stunts, the Mighty Jacobs Radial moaning and roaring. It stopped one day-- turned out he had put it upside down in a swamp not so far from here. I have seen a Waco recently, but I don't think it is the same aircraft or same pilot. I think this air-tour operator is just the ticket-office and the airplanes have various owners/flyers. Even though the one from the swamp is "new-made" (not WWII) it can't have been fixed that fast, and the new Waco-guy does not want to be in the newspaper like the last guy.

Attachments

• Waco.jpg
    Waco.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 109
I find the 'wokka wokka' of a chinook rather comforting.

Chinook, being a tandem rotor, have such a unique and interesting sound that I always go out to hear them. Nothing else makes that noise - it's fascinating! :yes:

And all that comfort and fascination is provided to you, Euro zone dwellers, absolutely free of charge, courtesy of the American tax payers!

:)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Another distinctive sound from my days there was the V22 vertical take off fixed wing planes.
They did not catch on due to there tendency to burn holes in the tarmac when they were taking off.

The Osprey?? I had not heard they burned pavement. We knew them for having accidents. 30 fatalities in 9 years. We lived near where they were built and there was a lot of talk about cancelling the contract. I see they are now well deployed and seem to move stuff faster/farther than the alternatives. I still don't like them. Any more than McNamara's TFX/F111 boondoggle.

270px-VMM-162_Osprey_on_the_tarmac_in_Iraq_on_April_1-2008.JPG

But some other question, what calculatoer can I best use as math is not mine strongest point, there are calculators who does set formula,s in as people write them, that is quite nice, and more easy.

bol.com | Texas Instruments TI-30XB Multiview - Wetenschappelijke rekenmachine

I always strugle with math, the formula,s did get wrong output etc. Need something to easy that. And no excel, I can not work with that program, I mean set it up.

regards

Attachments

• calculator.jpg
    calculator.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 72
3 Chinooks in formation overhead on friday in the UK, as I picked my eldest up from school!

There must be some heavy flooding somewhere, relatively close. I've had probably 30 sightings this year so far, maybe as few as 3 or 4 last year.

As far as an pocket calculator recommendation, the Casio FX83 you show is excellent and reasonably priced (or it was back when I used one as a mature student, graduating 2015.)

Still, there is something in the old school FX 82b from the 90s, I had a friend who had one of these baby's

Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/b3/68/70b368a45483a8255d9e119dd6be9c64.jpg

That would graph plot and all sorts of other things that I never got the best of. The FX 82 has all I'd ever need.

Finally, I would say that I too struggle with maths. It's not that I am bad at maths at all, but there are many people who are far more fluent, practiced, or maths orientated than I.

Secondly, I would say don't give up trying.

Casio FX82 or the one you show can do all you will need and more.

If you try breaking each part down into separate calculations, when working with really long formulæ, then you should be able to get the correct answer.

Working with 6 or more brackets, heck 4 brackets, is awkward.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.