When tying a knot solves most of the hum issue!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the early days of computers, before the IBM PC we (Motorola) used HP computer systems to control test equipment. The HP rep at the time always tied a knot in the line cord of every piece of equipment he was involved with during installation. I asked why, and he replied that it stops lightning from blowing stuff up.

Some years later I noticed a cable TV installer meticulously creating a small 3 or 4 turn loop in the cable drop right before the ground block, and securing it with cable ties. Again, I asked, and received the same reply, it stops lightning.

OK, we lived in Florida, the lightning capital of the US, but knots?????

Some research revealed, that yes, knots work. The dv/dt of a lightning bolt is on the order of megavolts per nanosecond, so I guess it doesn't take much inductance to convince the big spark to take a different path....sometimes.

RF is rather slow, so it's a bit harder to stop. I grew up about 2 blocks from a 10 KW AM radio station. It really sucks when the elevator music flows out of your DIY guitar amp louder than the guitar does. A small speaker with a diode across it played audibly when connected between the water pipe and the metal swing set in the back yard.

If the knot fits....don't mess with it!

Accidentally picking up broadcast VHF is not too difficult, although also not too difficult to filter it away. What is difficult to do accidentally is to slope detect it. Something in your system must have been resonating near 98.1MHz - maybe a cable?

It only happened with "Westinghouse" Japanese 12SN7 tubes... USA or Canadian GE or RCA tubes (seemingly the same construction, but grey plates instead of black) didn't do it.

I use those exact tubes as driver in my monoblocs with no such issue :)

Last edited:
kodabmx said:
It only happened with "Westinghouse" Japanese 12SN7 tubes... USA or Canadian GE or RCA tubes (seemingly the same construction, but grey plates instead of black) didn't do it.
Maybe a slight difference in valve capacitance meant that the other valves tuned to a different station? Parasitic oscillation? Alternatively, maybe you were hearing some residual AM on the carrier.

Maybe a slight difference in valve capacitance meant that the other valves tuned to a different station? Parasitic oscillation? Alternatively, maybe you were hearing some residual AM on the carrier.

Any number of things really, but my construction technique has vastly improved from those days. I didn't even use shielded wire from the RCA to the grid... (Neither did my commercial "Belcor" receiver though).

Speaking of shielded wire... You only connect the shield/ground at one end, yes? I connect it only at the RCA end of the link.

Speaking of shielded wire... You only connect the shield/ground at one end, yes? I connect it only at the RCA end of the link.

You need a signal and a return to complete a circuit. One way to do that is to connect the RCA outer conductor to chassis, and connect signal ground of PC board to chassis at some point, and that completes the circuit. It also makes a big loop and the shield (connected at only one end) does next to nothing because return current does not pass through the shield. Alternatively, isolate* the RCA from the chassis and run a shielded cable with shield connected at both ends, which completes the circuit, reduces loop area, and makes the shield much more effective.

*but with a small cap from RCA outer connector to chassis to make a shorter path to ground for very high frequency noise.

Knot V2.0... Even better hum rejection...

Now I just need to chase the hiss (brown noise actually). I have a LOT of gain so if I crank the volume without signal I hear noise...

Attachments

• 2019-10-24 16-26-39.jpg
    2019-10-24 16-26-39.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.