Hello N. Californians in the dark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spoke w #3 son in Sonoma County -- two years ago their house was one of the few which survived the fires (up near Jack London) -- well they are in the dark but have a little gennie and two babies.

One of the issues they are experiencing -- when portions of the grid are brought back up there have been fires and explosions at some of the substations.

They expect to be in the dark for another 3 to 5 days.

So from what I’m reading the utility co got sued for starting the ‘camp’ fire losing and paying billions.......now they just unplug their responsibility?

Idk.....but i’d Be some kinda po’d if my utilities were just shut off because of that......plus the ramifications of their actions are probably riskier than just leaving it on.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Based on what I saw back in 2000 where people were being asked not to put up christmas lights due to lack of power CA has had messed up utilities for some considerable time. And that's before the farmers vs industry/residents water arguments which have been runnning for what 100 years now?

Lovely place, bit messed up in some areas :)

They were the first here to legalize marijuana after all......long term effects? :D

Don't get me started. Wifey is a molecular biologist who worked on opiods for a time and she is a crusader against legalized.

Getting back to topic -- it is extremely important for homeowners in semi-rural areas to clear all the dead vegetation around their houses. In fact, some guy would bring a bunch of goats to do it for you. You've got to be careful of rattle-snakes.

Where the utility had subcontractors remove or cut down trees there is oftentimes a failure to remove the the branches etc., and no accountability.

I listened to San Fran public radio on the 400 mile drive yesterday. There's looting going on all over the place.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just checked news and appears fires in LA in places the power was not shut down. Not proven yet and a lot of grumpy scientists at UC Berkley as there is not enough backup power for this scenario.

And I suspect more substations will go pop when power comes back on...

The historical legalities of it are complicated in CA, too. But, yes, high winds down trees, remote areas, and near infinite flammable material make shutting off high risk areas an effective mitigation strategy. This is the world we live in.

Edit: Bill, they're different power companies and different risk profiles mean different policies.

Argentinians are accustomed to this kind of catastrophes still with normal climate. Sub inversions of the governments and of the monopolian energy companies (Which in part, the owners of, are political's families) conduct to a usual burnouts of the transformers and then large energy shutdowns. This is why I made several years ago, my own energy reservoir.

Attachments

• Soporte 24.JPG
    Soporte 24.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 122
  • Batas 02.JPG
    Batas 02.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Heladera 01.JPG
    Heladera 01.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Heladera 02.JPG
    Heladera 02.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 129
Power restored?

The head of the utility told the public service commission that it would be 10 years before they could attain a high level of service reliability!

Generac stock is up 70% year to date. My son's neighbor had one installed after almost everyone in the neighborhood was burned out in the 2017 fires -- natgas hookup with propane backup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.