What Would You Do If You're All On Your Own

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll add to what synonymous said (rather than creating a long quote).

I have a Pungo 120 (12') that I do river kayaking and camping with. The longer kayaks are not made for white water like the smaller kayaks, so look at where you are going to determine what type best suits you.

Try several paddles and get one that fits. I'm 5'10 and use a 120cm paddle.

Get a good Personal Flotation Device. Safety first.

Keens are great shoes for kayaking.

Take liquids to stay hydrated.

If you are yaking in cold water be aware that death can come quickly. The outlet water at Wilber dam where I yak is reputed to be 38F in the middle of the summer. The life expectancy in such water is on the order of 3 to 5 minutes before you go into shock, and hypothermia.

A friend who was not aware of this thought a dip would be a good way to cool off and bailed out of a raft he was in with several others. They had to pull him out of the water because he went into shock!

he went into shock!
You're allowed to be unhappy with my pedantic nature. I'm not going to change at this age.
Shock is caused by a drop in blood pressure, ie: bleeding
Cold Water Shock is caused by a sudden drop in body temperature (not hypothermia). It raises the blood pressure, ie: what your friend must have gone through.
Thankfully, CWS is often less damaging overall and hopefully he made a full recovery.

So yeah been on my own since last April. No family, no friends, just lots of work.. What would you do ego's aside if you could picture yourself in the same situation?

Anyone relate?

I have been alone for about 20 years after a divorce.
I got used to it in time.
I keep busy with hobbies when not working.
If you really feel the need for female company then there are online dating sites.
Life's a lot less stressfull without a bossy woman around.
I come and go as I please with no one else to worry about.

Go babble with the folks at Kayak Exchange
+1 506-961-1326
Ask them everything you need to know and where to go...
I literally walked into a store near here and said "what do I need"
GET OUT THERE!

I would be all over St Johns and Petitcodiac
Couple sandwiches, drinks and go race the tides

Thanks everyone I've been working lots plus I don't seem to get notices that I've had many replies..

If I was back home there's lots of outdoor stuff I would do and kayaking was on the list of things to try for sure! Here it seems many places nearby are on private land or not really feasible to go with my time constraints right now. I was going to solo hike the Dobson Trail right around now but that fell through as work comes first.

I really miss the west coast, and I've been understanding how for new and long time immigrants no matter where they're from how home is always going to be home. Because in many ways I feel like I'm in a whole different country here, probably due to the whole bilingual thing here and the different attitudes etc that I'm not a part of, cause I was never raised here etc.

As far as women go no I want to stay on my own no matter how um hard it gets lol. Not wanting to go there and I need time to settle me and figure things out.

Yes Cal Scottj likes to eff with me but he ain't sitting across the table from me either is he, rather he's on a keyboard doing his thing. We are not fans of each other, and I wonder why he bothered to reply to my thread a few time's anyhow, which really is a hurting thread for me because of the loss of my wife. In any event I don't care about this yahoo, and yes I am a Trump fan 100%. Best Prez ever in my lifetime imo. And Edit: I wouldn't want a woman who's a Lib anyhow.

Once again thank you everyone for your responses, suggestions, advice, and just for having an ear etc.

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
Put the money towards a house, find a balance where the rental available will cover not only the mortgage but also funds required for a tenancy at Mercy Ships. Rent it out, you'll have something to come back to, sounds like you'd have a job to come back to as well. Do that for 24 months, come back and re-assess. It will change everything, and ALL for the better. Stick with it and away from alcohol. BTW, I know how you feel. All the best and well done on reaching out.

You may want to do some research on that sj.. You are a person who like's to get politics in there seemingly whenever you can. The time you may be referring too you were basically blaming The President for all the worlds ills including and especially global warming. Then I called you on it and once you learned I'm for The POTUS you just did what the L-tards always do and that's to belittle.. I mentioned that we're not supposed to be talking religion or politics in that exchange, but for some reason that never applies to you?
In any event why don't you just go speak your wisdom on audio matters as none of your wisdom is needed here, in fact I think you rejoice in the fact that for me things aren't so swell or you wouldn't have brought up Trump, President Trump that is.. Btw I cannot vote for him as I'm Canadian, but if I could I would.

I sort of want this thread deleted anyways. It was dumb for me to air my worries here but I guess a few tequilas helped that along one night..

You are a person who like's to get politics in there seemingly whenever you can....... we're not supposed to be talking religion or politics in that exchange, but for some reason that never applies to you?
There is a question mark there, so, I shall respond by saying you are wrong and there is no need to say things about me that aren't true. I shall leave you in peace now.

I would ask as a regular member that we return to non combative discussion here. IOW don't make me don the mod hat. I might not be as nice as you usually find me.

This is what I was wanting as well from the get go. Is there a way it can all just be deleted, the whole thread I mean? I've appreciated all the words of wisdom and advice and take it to heart. But it would be cool if the thread could just be gone if that can happen. Thanks Dave.

You're allowed to be unhappy with my pedantic nature. I'm not going to change at this age.
Shock is caused by a drop in blood pressure, ie: bleeding
Cold Water Shock is caused by a sudden drop in body temperature (not hypothermia). It raises the blood pressure, ie: what your friend must have gone through.
Thankfully, CWS is often less damaging overall and hopefully he made a full recovery.

Yes he did. I had this conversation less than two weeks ago with him.

I went kayaking today and they were not generating. I took a digital thermometer to check the temp and the water temp was 55F (~13C) from surface down to about 1M.

Next weekend hopefully they will be generating and I can confirm the outlet temp.

This is as close as I could get to the generator outlet. You can see the four gates for the generators. It is only 57,600Kw;

Attachments

• Watauga Generators.jpg
    Watauga Generators.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.