Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Do tubes sound better than solid state at low volumes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2019, 04:16 AM   #51
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Go try it yourself is all I can say. If you haven't a tube amp, go borrow one ya.
I've tried those subjective comparisons many times. They are only useful as self entertainment purpose. When it comes to figuring out how amps really sound, it's useless.
Old 4th October 2019, 04:20 AM   #52
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want an amp that precisely follows the source then lots of test equipment is needed. If you prefer something that isn't so clinical then you have to hunt around for different amps to see what you like the sound of. Some guitarists love the sound of over driven valve amps but they are full of warm harmonics and far from clinical.
Old 4th October 2019, 04:24 AM   #53
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
I've tried those subjective comparisons many times. They are only useful as self entertainment purpose. When it comes to figuring out how amps really sound, it's useless.
For me it was not a purposefully done swap to compare so no placebo effect or anything. I just heard the changes that's all which did surprise me initially though.
Old 4th October 2019, 07:00 AM   #54
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you haven't a tube amp, go borrow one ya.
You can't borrow listening acuity.
Old 4th October 2019, 07:08 AM   #55
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Some guitarists love the sound of over driven valve amps but they are full of warm harmonics and far from clinical.
This has nothing to do with the topic. And you seem to abuse of the terms such clinical, accurate Someone might be tempted to ask: in what system? Could you describe? I mean, you can find those terms in a review of a power chord the one that goes to the mains
Old 4th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #56
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For me it was not a purposefully done swap to compare so no placebo effect or anything. I just heard the changes that's all which did surprise me initially though.
That happened to me too during subjective comparison. Then when the levels are matched for testing amps, the results changed. Try it yourself.
Old 4th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #57
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
You can't borrow listening acuity.
Nothing to stop you saying you have it even if you haven't, handy little fact for those in the business
Old 6th October 2019, 04:06 AM   #58
HarryY is offline HarryY  United States
diyAudio Member

My 2 cents. ...

A SS amp is like pushing / pulling something with a metal rod, Rigid and Strong. A Tube amp is like pushing /pulling something with a rubber rod, softer with a little give.

I use two amplifiers for my main system SS for the low end where I want it stiff crisp and strong. Tube for the rest where I prefer it a little smoother.

I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other, since both have their strengths. If it was just for low volume I might pick tubes over SS since at that point the base would typically not be turned up.

Do tubes sound better than solid state at low volumesHide this!Advertise here!