audio grade vs general purpose capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
every time I am ordering caps for power supplies, I see audio grade caps that, at least on mouser, it is only Nichicon and maybe sometimes kemet. while general purpose is available from many manufacturers. so far I have always ordered audio grade, but is it really necessary?

They claim to have better qualities if they're in the signal path, some special treatment of the electrodes apparently.

Perhaps there is some merit to this, but even if true, it seems unlikely such differences would affect operation if used for supply rail decoupling, etc.

It may be these are higher spec generally (low esr, etc) but it seems more like marketing hype to command a high premium than anything else to me.

yeah specially for power supply I don't think that I will be interested in paying a premium for audio grade. I used a 36 VAC transformer with 50VDC filter caps and they started smoking. I cut the power off fast but I think that they are goners so I'm ordering some 63V ones. :sigh:

Last edited:
Depends on the transformer and the load. Let's say the transformer is specified as 36V at full load and has 20% regulation. If run with no load or very low load, the secondary voltage might be 43VAC. When rectified and filtered that could mean over 60VDC. Throw in some primary voltage variability and you could easily exceed that.

For power supply usage I don’t see the point in ‘audio’ grade caps.

There is still merit in quality however: ripple current rating, Low ESR, high temp rating and high lifetime are worth paying extra for.

ESR can directly affect the performance of a psu. Eg output impedance.
Temp rating and lifetime rating will obviously affect the lifetime of the psu. There is much to be said for only having to build things once. There is also much to be said for an overbuilt psu that never breaks.

I'd forget "audio grade" - get whatever meets the specifications you need (ESR, ripple current, lifetime, voltage, value tolerance etc).

What is worth looking for is "automotive grade", which usually means much better lifetime at a wide range of temperatures, and often more extensive per-device testing on manufacture.

Hi Guys,
Contrary to what many believe, from my experience, getting the cleanest supply from the PS is of paramount importance be it boutique caps or not. For me I only use EI trafo & if I can with split bobbin types. SS rectifiers also important, tried a few varieties but to my ears the best so far are from Shindengen, clear & grainless. My 2 cents.

Cheers

Well I did not want to create snake oil etc comments. I have been playing with many caps for my build be it dac or power amps. All that I can say is yes audio grade caps do affect sound but one cannot just base it on brands etc cause what works here might no work well there. Believe it or not every cap have their sound signature.

Cheers

that great. you need to answer or at least think about this question: "what is it about audio grade caps that is different than general purpose?" do they use special farads in their micro farads?:?? do they bless the caps with holy water? do they sing lullabies to them at night in the factory? trust me, it sounds better might be good enough for some folks, but it is not good enough for everybody. what does "sounds better" even mean? does it mean quieter background? does it mean more resolution? does it mean it makes kesha sound like celine Dion?

Reactions: 1 user
Modding.

Sorry to bring this subject back up.

But I'm thinking about updating my Amp Schiit Jotunheim 2 caps only in the image part.

A diy modding just for fun, curiosity see what's going on in this source update.

I'm thinking of changing the general purpose Panasonic M 1000uf 35v caps to the Nichicon FG 1000uf 35v audio caps.

But reading your conversation here may not have any change for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.