Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

audio grade vs general purpose capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2019, 11:34 PM   #11
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Most important is durability. So spec higher temp, voltage, ripple current than needed. ESRs of 10000u caps are less than .1 (the one i saw was .022 ) ohm. At 10 amps thats only adds 1v to the rail sag.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:36 PM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dadbeh,
I just have to ask since you have not indicated this. The power from the transformer went through a rectifier first - right? What to draw a little picture for us?

-Chris
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:03 AM   #13
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

The audio grade electrolytic caps I've seen are polymer caps and meant for signal path usage such as in the output of a sound card.

I can see them being advantageous there.

Conductive Polymer Electrolytic Capacitors - Industrial Devices & Solutions - Panasonic

also Kemet is making Tantalum Polymer caps for similar usage:

http://www.kemet.com/Lists/ProductCa...T2019_T530.pdf

They are expensive, so they must be good.

Old 4th October 2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Vovk Z is offline Vovk Z  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
They are expensive, so they must be good.
- I don't see anything "audio" there. Or maybe you are meaning "audiophile-grade cost"?
Old 5th October 2019, 06:16 AM   #15
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Contrary to what many believe, from my experience, getting the cleanest supply from the PS is of paramount importance be it boutique caps or not. For me I only use EI trafo & if I can with split bobbin types. SS rectifiers also important, tried a few varieties but to my ears the best so far are from Shindengen, clear & grainless. My 2 cents.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2019, 07:15 AM   #16
ubergeeknz is offline ubergeeknz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I don't think anyone could argue the importance of a clean power supply. The discussion is more around whether "audio grade" capacitors will help to achieve that goal.
Old 5th October 2019, 07:24 AM   #17
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Well I did not want to create snake oil etc comments. I have been playing with many caps for my build be it dac or power amps. All that I can say is yes audio grade caps do affect sound but one cannot just base it on brands etc cause what works here might no work well there. Believe it or not every cap have their sound signature.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2019, 07:29 AM   #18
Dadbeh is online now Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

that great. you need to answer or at least think about this question: "what is it about audio grade caps that is different than general purpose?" do they use special farads in their micro farads?:?? do they bless the caps with holy water? do they sing lullabies to them at night in the factory? trust me, it sounds better might be good enough for some folks, but it is not good enough for everybody. what does "sounds better" even mean? does it mean quieter background? does it mean more resolution? does it mean it makes kesha sound like celine Dion?

audio grade vs general purpose capacitorsHide this!Advertise here!