Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What causes grainy sound
What causes grainy sound
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2019, 01:54 PM   #31
arpagon is offline arpagon  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnego View Post
The major graininess is associated with class B operation. The more you bias the output stage (which is usually the biggest contributor of distortions), the less grainy it is. So class A amps are in general much smoother than class B amps.

That's just not true:
1. The biggest distortion contributor is the VAS of course
2. Any class AB amplifier is actually a class A provided that the output signal's excursions are small enough to not go beyond the boundaries of transistors currents conductivities.

I wrote the second statement because if I remember, till now no one mentioned the output levels and if there's (any) correlation between them and graininnes of the sound.
Old 20th September 2019, 06:27 PM   #32
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

What causes grainy sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
Your question is part of a much larger one. Which is, why do electronic components, that all feature objective measured performance supposedly well below the threshold of human detection, still seem to sound different from each other? :
some people say the opposite and that it is possible by measuring the proper things to make different amplifiers sound the same

The Carver Challenge | Stereophile.com
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th September 2019, 07:23 PM   #33
Ramcres is offline Ramcres
diyAudio Member

And I ask, could a superintelligent alien who knew all the physical mechanisms of sound and terrestrial amplification devices, but nothing in the human ear, make a good amplifier?. My answer is yes

BR
Old 20th September 2019, 08:37 PM   #34
padamiecki is offline padamiecki  Poland
diyAudio Member

one more cent,
grainy sound could mostly comes from cold active amplifying devices, no matter ss, tube, AB, A, etc, after 40 minutes things are different (the ear is used to?)
Old 20th September 2019, 09:02 PM   #35
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

Bought a little cheap DAC. Heard one year. Removed then the analog-output; this one cs4344c - Google Search
drives the 2-stage-SE. A dream! Compared with the original NO grain;-) Power, punch, cleanness, clearness, homogenity, endlessness ... a dream, a dream, a dream;-!!!
Old 20th September 2019, 09:22 PM   #36
arpagon is offline arpagon  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

In such a case just light a candle every Sunday morning .
Old 20th September 2019, 09:41 PM   #37
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Is the word "granulated" something new to describe the sound? I have once seen a "dictionary" of audiophile terms, but I don't think I remember this one .... I thought that describing " treble sharp", bass "round", or "silky" midrange was enough! Blessed are the lucky holders of "golden ears", I applaud your fantastic facility to describe sounds with words ! What would we do without them? This system sounds very natural, or this system sounds unnatural seems to be not enough, you have to be more specific, isn't it? We used to say "Those treble punctures my tympanum," or "those bass kicks your *** ." How ? What is outdated, very widespread and does not work? Oh sorry then. I will continue learning and updating myself .... What do people mean by a "grainy" sound? | Steve Hoffman Music Forums I found it, I'm amazed, I didn't think there were so many ways to describe the indescribable ... Grainy : A moderate texturing of reproduced sound. The sonic equivalent of grain in a photograph. Coarser than dry but finer than gritty. Stereophile: Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary
Old 20th September 2019, 10:03 PM   #38
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

ISO - of footage;-?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Korn_HP4_ISO1600.jpg (103.9 KB, 281 views)
Old 21st September 2019, 12:07 AM   #39
ejp is offline ejp  Australia
diyAudio Member

The first question to be answered here is what *is* 'grainy sound'? What are its characteristics? What does it look like?
Old 21st September 2019, 01:49 AM   #40
skem is offline skem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartH83 View Post
I will replace transistors as they are known to be noisey types.
How does one learn which types are “noisy”. Is anybody keeping a table of these?

What causes grainy soundHide this!Advertise here!