Cigars vs. Vapers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The recent report is called "The Cardiovascular Effects Of Electronic Cigarettes."

“E-cigarettes are not completely risk free, but there is international consensus, including from CRUK, ASH, RCP and the US National Academy of Science that vaping is far less harmful than smoking.”

Attachments

• Vaping.jpg
    Vaping.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
The research has been followed by reports of six deaths in the US, which have been linked to vaping. This is in accord with what Charles Darwin said.

Responding to the reports, the UK Vaping Industry Association added: “It appears that the incidents in the USA are linked to people using illegal liquids, most likely black-market marijuana products (THC oils). Products such as these are illegal in the UK."

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I knew, when those idiotic vaping things started coming up for sale, they'd be trouble.
I had a feeling, and I was obviously right.
18 year old kids in induced comas, others dying.... puffing that slime from their mouths.
Thanks, I'll stick to my Pall Mall Blue 100's, because at 66, I ain't in no damn coma yet.

Considering the illness/injury rate among likely still smaller cohort using these devices than old school tobacco & other smokable materials, and the relatively short time they’ve been in use, I’d be more than moderately alarmed.
Has there been exhaustive research/analyses of the chemicals / propellants found in these high tech coffin nails?
FWIW - and all politics aside - the proposal for FDA to ban all flavoured vape products that are clearly targeted to start the “safer” addiction as early as pre-teens might well be one of the smartest policies to come out of Washington in the past several years.

Then of course there’s the reports of spontaneous combustion while in pockets.

Safe - yeah, like Hydrocodone - ask the Sackler family how that criminal misrepresentation worked out in the long run.

Last edited:
As far as I know there no research has been done at all.

It was extrapolated from the ingredients that vaping is safe/safer than smoking tobacco.
Except for the nicotine of course.

I am weary of the wisdom of stripping out all except the so called active ingredient to make something safer. Didn't work that well with coca leaves or raw opium.

There are indeed some problems with electric cigarettes and pretty well all of them can be sorted out.
The vast majority of health problems have come from people making there own liquids from pure nicotine.
The flavors could do with being regulated in the same way as food additives are.
Here in the UK doctors like them as switching from tobacco reduces the number of people attending clinics with chest infections.
The nicotine strength of the liquids is regulated in the UK.
Some of the cheap ones have duff batteries and chargers and can blow up.

There were those in the USA who died from vaping.
Specifically from non-infectious lipoid pneumonia induced by inhaling oil.

From what I've heard 6 died recently with a further 450 in more or less intensive care.
One major contribution is related to vaping dope. THC is oil soluble, improper production on black market and oil based vaping use can lead to lipoid pneumonia. Vitamin E acetate might be a cause, but there are many other unknown chemicals in vapes. Funny how this gets so much coverage though but not much regarding the 25 Tons of Fentanyl that was discovered on a ship by the Mexican navy/coast guard not long ago. Astonishing as to how much poison that really is. I'm sure one can probably guess where that ship was coming from, and where the final destination for most of it was to be.:rolleyes:

I guess turn around is fair play.....from a historical point of view.:whazzat:

Last edited:
I always though is common sense, vapes cartridges are oil based and what that's does is burn the oil into a vapor, how can anyone believed that inhaling burnt oil vapor into your lungs was safe??? the least that can cause is a bad lung irritation or worst the vapors can condensate back into oil in the lungs and now you have an oil (lipid) micro-embolism.

Oh, just an intuition, but I'm thinking that sufficient rigorous scientific research will show that in "reasonable" dosages nicotine or THC are the least dangerous component in either conventional or E-cigs / vapes - and that's when the damned things don't blow up in your face or spontaneously combust while not in use.

To repeat one of my old man hobbyhorse rants, the human respiratory system did not evolve to endure the intentional inhalation of high temperature combustion byproducts.

To intentionally market flavours such as those listed on one of many sites as Fruit Flavour E-Juice by Popular Brands
is to my mind beyond unconscionable, but quite simply criminal.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This just in: Being stupid may be lethal.

I don't think it requires a very high IQ to understand, that throwing all kinds of particles, chemicals, dust, carcinogenic substances, etc to a pair of organs exquisitely honed by 100's of 1000's if not millions of years of evolution to extract oxygen out of air, is playing Russian Roulette with your health.

But it's easy for people to fool themselves with the proverbial grandfather who lived to 99 years of age smoking daily. The 30,000 or so yearly premature deaths in my country alone are just statistics, and not in my circle.

Jan

To intentionally market flavours such as those listed on one of many sites as Fruit Flavour E-Juice by Popular Brands
is to my mind beyond unconscionable, but quite simply criminal.

It appears those flavours are the cause that an increasing number of kids become hooked on nicotine.

Personally I have always been very sensitive to smells. Chemical ones like air fresheners give me really bad headaches as do vapes.
Friend of mine vapes while I smoke tobacco, everytime he comes around I have to air out the house to get rid of the chemical stench of his vaping.

Oddly enough natural things including burning tobacco do not have the same effect on me regardless of how strong the smell is.
I got a lift in a car once in which somebody had spilled milk and the smell was objectively awful to say the very least but not as bad as a single air freshener for cars because it did not give me headaches.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.