Cigars vs. Vapers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I stopped smoking completely 12 years ago when we left the big city to live in a mountain valley with breathable clean air free of noxious particulates. Our home is 100 years old and has never known a smoker. There are no smokers living in the valley. This means the air, unlike in a big city, is completely free of stray molecules of nicotine. I stopped on the day we arrived, did the cold turkey, and after a year of abstinence my body and mind had more or less recovered.

My reasoning was that the body has a cellular memory for nicotine, and when you smell tobacco smoke it only takes a single molecule of nicotine to trigger incessant craving - that is, until the body and mind heals and the addiction is forgotten. Passive smoking is the enemy of anyone trying to break an addiction to nicotine. My own (final) nicotine withdrawal was one of the most exhilaratingly beautiful things that has ever happened to me.

I think vaping nicotine is both pitiful and disgusting. ToS

This is the best case IMHO, much worse are the transit accidents and deaths caused by looking the cell's display while crossing avenues, which already happened here.
Can you believe me that taxi and truck drives their vehicles while writing SMS or talking by phone?

The results are below.
Those photos do indeed look like the incidents are mobile phone related however they are a symptom of the driver using the free sat nav app as opposed to a truckers sat nav.
The more expensive truckers sat navs have a trailer height setting that stops them sending the driver down a road with a low bridge.
They think they are saving money until they hit a bridge.
They have devices that knock on the roof to wake the dozy driver up where I live:D
Chains.jpg

Last edited:
While we know of the issues with Tobacco Vaping is a total unknown, Ill take my risk with moderation of known agents. Dose is your poison.
I never thought vaping was a good alternative, I smoked cigarettes for 30 years and replaced the smoking part of the habit with weed going cold on the nicotine.

After about 9 months My brother visited and handed me a Marlboro, the cravings returned instantly. For a time I bought black and mild wood tips and snuck off to have a hit , because I was embarrassed to have regressed. I decided that I wouldn't buy a pack because I already found the smell terrible after having quit for a while. So I bought my first pipe, steep curve to learn how to smoke it and find a preferred tobacco But I really enjoy it more than I ever did cigarettes and don't get near as much social rejection. and in total I spend about $200 a year now vs whatever a pack and a half a day would be now saving > $3000 a year , don't have a cough or short breath and I can light a bowl outside the airport put it in my pocket and pass through TSA without waste because I can just relight the next opportunity when traveling.

Those photos do indeed look like the incidents are mobile phone related however they are a symptom of the driver using the free sat nav app as opposed to a truckers sat nav.

We have this in the New York area almost every day. Parkways are for cars, freeways are for cars and trucks. Henry Hudson Parkway, Northern State Parkway etc.

Of course, the worst was a truck carrying giraffes which didn't anticipate the low overhead clearance!

Apart from the traditional chimney! :)

What's your view on ingesting uisge-beatha I wonder? :mischiev:

Galu,

Uisge-beatha? ..... Ah, yes. When we first came to stay here, we found hundreds of empty ‘Whyte and Mackay’ uisge-beatha bottles strewn all over the property and the surrounding pastures. Some of them more than fifty years old.

I used to drink until I stopped five years ago. It was watching my alcoholic father die from tobacco induced terminal lung cancer that put me right off. Smoking and drinking have now become things that I once used to do. If other people want to whack their lungs and liver with tobacco and alcohol then I am fine with that, but preferably not in front of me, as I now find it really upsetting.

ToS

I tried that for a time in my early twenties, but it was quickly abandoned - too much faffing about!

Do you realise how long it takes to break in a new pipe? And that's essential break in/burn in time - we're not talking speaker cables here! :)

The faffing is the fun part!

I smoked a pipe for a few years when I was younger. A friend and flat-mate worked at the Benson & Hedges tobacco shop in the tony part of Bloor St West in Toronto, and we were always trying different types of tobacco. Dunhill bred shag was nice, and there was a good Virginia I can't remember the name of, and some interesting Sobranie tobaccos. Of course we also smoked cigars and cigarettes, Sobranie Egyptian Oval #7 was particularly good.

Modern mass market cigarettes are garbage, they are just a nicotine delivery system manufactured as cheaply as possible.

Of course we also smoked cigars and cigarettes, Sobranie Egyptian Oval #7 was particularly good.
My pal let me try a Sobranie Oval (pure tobacco with no filler and no filter tip) when I was around 12 years of age.

My fingers were stained brown after just one cigarette - had to hide them from my mum!

Heaven knows what my lungs were like! ;)

Attachments

• Sobranie.jpg
    Sobranie.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 66
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.