The death of Aesthetics...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at vintage Yamaha receivers, the old CR-640 caught my eye...the same vintage Kenwood stuff also looks very pleasing to the eye...what happened, how did we fall so low?

Quiz, match-up the vintage & now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick........

Attachments

• Dennis Rodman.jpg
    Dennis Rodman.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 597
  • Billy Joel.jpg
    Billy Joel.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 1986-corvette-6.jpg
    1986-corvette-6.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 582
  • Pagani.jpg
    Pagani.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 590
Electronic circuits have become very cheap due to integration, robot assembly and standardization. Mechanical structures like chassis/cabinets made in more noble materials have not hanged much in price. Real craftsmanship has probably increased in price.
Cheap chassis made from metal-sheet and molded plastic can be made at a low cost but are rarely aesthetic. Would you pay the double or even more for the same electronic performance but in a more pretty "wrapping"?
Aesthetics are very subjective. Is a Lyngdorf Millenium Mk IV really as aesthetic as it is expensive? Is it typically bought for the looks or the sound?
For most of us, aesthetics imply significantly higher prices without us being convinced that we really would get something more. For some, the price is unimportant but are they then sure what they want and will their friends agree to the choice?
The hunt for aesthetics makes women do repeated plastic operations in the hope that they will be seen as more attractive. Sometimes it clearly doesn't work and it is against a moving target. My neighbor claims motorcycles (among other Ducati) to be solely a question of aesthetics but he keeps finding new outlines he appreciates even better and cannot decide what to buy.
I find aesthetics in certain music and nature, and sometimes I see beauty in certain man-made products. I try to avoid being victim of the massive commercial bombardment trying to align my preferences with that of commercial interests. At least that is what age allows.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It depends on the target audience. There have always been nice and bling options around. That dash cluster in the original post is ridiculous, that has to be a custom job right? There is no way I would buy a car with an instrument cluster that looked like that!!

I really liked the Kenwood gear from the 70's Pioneer I also liked. I was never a fan of the look of the gold marantz stuff. 80's saw black, and I actually prefer black components.

The Yamaha Dave posted is very clean and nice. No bling!

Tony.

The beauty of DIY is being able to give new life to previously forgotten electronics. While I do not condone cannibalism of repairable vintage audio gear, there are plenty of situations one can come across one beyond repair and stuff something cool inside. I see all kinds of amazing pieces of equipment, art, etc that would look much cooler than a black box on the counter.

Until companies start designing products I can afford and like the look of, I will forever be a slave to my many overly ambitious, and extremely unfinished projects. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Wood and Aluminum look amazing together and feel it's time for it to come back into fashion in hifi. Love them silver faces with brunette (or blonde) hair lol

Last edited:
It depends on the target audience. There have always been nice and bling options around. That dash cluster in the original post is ridiculous, that has to be a custom job right? There is no way I would buy a car with an instrument cluster that looked like that!!

I really liked the Kenwood gear from the 70's Pioneer I also liked. I was never a fan of the look of the gold marantz stuff. 80's saw black, and I actually prefer black components.

The Yamaha Dave posted is very clean and nice. No bling!

Tony.

That dashboard/instrument cluster, is from the current Pagani supercar, a multi-million dollar car...lots of them driving the streets of Monaco. The other picture is of a dashboard of the Chevrolet Corvette, 1984 to 1989?...highlighting the "futuristic" digital read-outs & graphs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick....

Account Closed
Joined 2018
The beauty of DIY is being able to give new life to previously forgotten electronics. While I do not condone cannibalism of repairable vintage audio gear, there are plenty of situations one can come across one beyond repair and stuff something cool inside. I see all kinds of amazing pieces of equipment, art, etc that would look much cooler than a black box on the counter.

Until companies start designing products I can afford and like the look of, I will forever be a slave to my many overly ambitious, and extremely unfinished projects. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Wood and Aluminum look amazing together and feel it's time for it to come back into fashion in hifi. Love them silver faces with brunette (or blonde) hair lol

Sort of like my recent amplifier project?

Attachments

• IMG_8264.jpg
    IMG_8264.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 153
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That dashboard/instrument cluster, is from the current Pagani supercar, a multi-million dollar car...lots of them driving the streets of Monaco. The other picture is of a dashboard of the Chevrolet Corvette, 1984 to 1989?...highlighting the "futuristic" digital read-outs & graphs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick....

OK!! I'm surprised it passes design laws :) it looks shocking to me. Luckily I could never afford one! ;)

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.