Surströmming - Anyone who likes this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Smell is.......different.

surstrommingsklamma_1060_0.jpg

But it's actually pretty good. :) By tradition there is usually some vodka involved as well :cool:

Prepared and served as dahlberg shows it's tasty. However the can is usually opened outside...

But I guess it's an acquired taste. I believe thai/vietnameese fishsause is similar, just fermented until there is no fish left.

"Rotten shark", I tried it once, and I will not do it again.

/örjan

Evidently there are people liking "surströmming". These people were all isolated in a large deserted territorygenerally isolated from civilized countries by water and with mountains in the west protecting the Norwegians from invasion (and surströmming). The bridge to Denmark can be blown up on any sign of surströmming on the bridge and quarantine applied for months until no spread of this chemical weapon is guaranteed. For the narrow strip of solid land in the very north, the surströmming tradition is the best guarantee against passage.
Honestly, they should taste much better than they smell (luckily) and they give an excuse for consumption along with amble amounts of "snaps" (min. 40% alcohol).
We take the Volvo's and you keep the surströmming, OK?

Is that the fish that's pickled in lye and then eaten?

EDIT that's something else.... herring roll mops are ok

Ive been warned about the Icelandic shark buried on the beach to rot and then excavated again....

Since lye is so caustic, I'm not sure I'd want to try it!

But then I've tried Haggis a few times and it's quite palatable. Scouse is something I'm yet to try.

Most folks i know baulk at the thought of Black Pudding (mmmm).

How many Scandi folks have tried Tripe, for example? That stuff stinks and most will only feed to their dogs, but reputedly people did actually eat the foul stuff, once upon a time.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Surstroming VS Predator VS Alien

Hi,

Tried 3 times different surstroming cans. Different ages each time.

well with the hundred years egg I tried in China's Yunan, it's the most terrible thing I eated. While I have no problem with the shrimp sauce !

But I'm happy to have discovered these foods and understand all is about culture and habits ! I heard Island country equivalent with shark is worst !

I much prefer whales smoked meat or bear's one when talking about Sweeden specialities !

All is about habits and tastes is a cultural thing; for instance a sweet for dome eskimo children is to eat a fresh seal's eye just after hunting !

I have no doubt if Earth was invaded by the famous Predators or Aliens from Ridley Scott, an old surstroming can where the fish is completly melted and frothy will kill them. It's certainly thanks to the surstroming they are not here yet !

There are different versions of extreme food in different parts of the world. I've heard about a fruit called Durian common in south east Asia which stinks to high heaven but tastes better than it smells.

As for the fermented shark meat (Hakarl in Iceland), I've seen it on American TV show called Bizarre Foods hosted by Andrew Zimmern. Here is a video of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.