I'd like to buy Greenland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, “ Seward’s Folly” 1867, $7.2 M for 586,000 sq mi - rather a lot of cash in those days. Arguably a better bang for the buck was Louisiana Purchase from France in 1803 - $15M for 828,000 sq mi.

Matt, Canada is not for sale - at least not yet or for greenbacks.

Greenland is steadily loosing volume as we speak. Hardly a good basis for investment. But, the principle of buying up nations or countries may bee seen in a further perspective. There are occasional disputes with some countries for different reasons. What about simply buying up these countries and avoid further conflict? Most of them are not shrinking in volume and some even have a more attractive climate than Greenland. In the end, wars between countries will be avoided when the whole globe is owned by one country.

Greenland is steadily loosing volume as we speak. Hardly a good basis for investment. But, the principle of buying up nations or countries may bee seen in a further perspective. There are occasional disputes with some countries for different reasons. What about simply buying up these countries and avoid further conflict? Most of them are not shrinking in volume and some even have a more attractive climate than Greenland. In the end, wars between countries will be avoided when the whole globe is owned by one country.

There will always be factions who are against the current government and will terrorise.

I don't know why he doesn't put an offer in for Canada, might as well.

what would they gain ? - they can buy any of the raw materials we have here from us, just let the Canadians dig it up for them first. they can station listening posts in the arctic to keep an eye on Russia already.

Actually I believe that its all about the "battle" for exploiting the arctic. I think Danish foreign policy with unconditionally supporting USA both politically and militarily during the last 20 years or so, has been all about hoping to get a share of the arctic when its destiny gets settled. Also Denmarks very negative attitude towards russia only can only be a preparation for the settling of The Arctic. USA would like to own Greenland because that would give them a larger part of the waters surrounding The Arctic.
This is just my uneducated analysis of the situation. - I hope my comment is not considered political.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.