Why not Silver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why is gold seemingly so much preferred in the audio world over silver.
Is it simply because silver tarnishes?
Gold for non tarnish properties, nickel is usual plating on audio connectors.

RCA plugs/sockets come in a range of constructions and platings that can sound subtly different, select Contact Plating filter

IME silver and gold sound different, silver can be brighter and clearer, sometimes overly so and according to impurities maybe and gold can add a damping and a warmness to the sound but can cause an overall colouration that can dominate, YMMV..

Dan.

Given your interests and occupation Harry, I'm surprised that you are asking this question.

The properties of silver and gold in relation to tarnishing, conductivity and cost should be well known in your sphere of reference.

Or, are you simply interested in stimulating a discussion on which 'sounds' the best? :confused:

but many audiophiles still prefer the sound of silver.

fetchimage

You shake the bag and the tingling gives you a sense of warmth and economic safety :p

IME silver and gold sound different, silver can be brighter and clearer, sometimes overly so and according to impurities maybe and gold can add a damping and a warmness to the sound but can cause an overall colouration that can dominate, YMMV..

Dan.

Maybe so, IF you make plates out of them and hit those with a hammer.

None compares with Brass, of course, that´s why cymbals, bells and ... ummmmm ..... "Brass" instruments are made with the latter.

Almost forgot, door knockers too, although since in that case the main vibrating component is wood, you can save some and use plain iron instead.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Superficiality.
Dress Code factors.

You dress up a person in a suit and tie, he'll get more attention/respect from the public, a better seat in a restaurant, theater or club.
The jeans/T shirt guy is given a seat in the back of the place.

It's all nothing but a propoganda-driven mind control smoke and mirrors magic show.
And the more vulnerable your mind is, the more you'll likely buy into it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I dunno. But like most here I"m old enough to remember when audio contacts were not gold plated, and it sucked if you lived in a damp climate. The advent of gold plating has meant much more trouble free connections for me. A good nickle plate does about as well.

Would silver be that reliable as a contact?

Would silver be that reliable as a contact?
"Silver will tarnish, but a wiping action upon making contact can be effective in reducing the amount of tarnish.

Silver has a high coefficient of friction, meaning it takes a higher force to pull connections apart which could wear out the contact surface quicker.

This would indicate that silver connections would be more appropriate for applications that call for infrequent connects and disconnects."
The above information was extracted from this source: Connector Contacts: Gold, Silver and Tin - TvTechnology

I learned from older audiofreaks that they want gold plated connectors because they don't corrode as fast as other metals and so give a better connection. Not for sound colouration or so (it should be neutral anyway).

Remember that under the thin layer of gold, there is first a layer of niccle (to avoid that the gold react with the copper) and the plug itself is mostly made of copper (not brass as it's not very conductive).

Silver plating corrodes much faster. And it uses also a base layer of a metal called Britanny Metal (a alloy of tin, antimony and copper) again on a copper connector.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.