Why not Silver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
https://www.rfindustries.com/pdfs/white-papers/PIM_RFConnectors.pdf

Skin depth is your answer for RF -- whereas the "basically DC" of audio uses more/all of the core.

So....... that article pertains to "effects" happening in the range of Mhz to Ghz, certainly not something to do with audio or things we humans can actually "hear".
Same thing as "skin effect" of electrons down a wire.... it's only a concern in the Mhz/Ghz area.

Nevertheless, this site's about audio, so, no need to suffer over it all. :)

Hi Harry!

We may be able to benefit from your experience. Please tell us more about your radio connectors and in what way you find silver plated ones better than gold plated ones

Nothing really to say other than most higher end RF connectors are silver.
(As I have always understood it Silver is a better conductor than gold.)

At Audio it probably doesn't matter and since silver tarnishes most
people would probably prefer to see gold over tarnished silver.

Standard Neutrik XLRs have thick(ish) silver coating.

Those are the ones one would use for mic cables as they get constantly re-plugged and there are wipers in there too keeping things clean.

For anything that gets more or less permanently connected I'd use the gold plated ones.

I had the standard silver ones go bad/intermittent if kept in one socket too long but that goes away after a few plugging cycles.

In the high end audio gear that I've followed, the platinum group of noble metals seem to be preferred and sometimes used. Rhodium, for example. And not too much either, most of the metals seem to be more expensive than gold, but are more durable as connectors and switch contacts. In this context, absolute conductivity isn't much of an issue.

Gold plate (on nickle or other suitable metals) is about as rich as I get.

I'm also into radio and typically the better connectors I use for that are silver plated not gold.

Hence why I originally asked the question.

My understanding is that silver oxide still conducts very well. Also have read (it was published in Sound Practice magazine, author IIRC was Allen Wright) about a pro who replaced all the patch bay connectors and channel strip in/out of a studio recording desk with gold plated types, only to be less than impressed to the point where he reversed the 'upgrade'.

I think the concept of RCA connectors is junk. I much prefer XLR type for both balanced and unbalanced connectors, never had a problem with long established professional connectors such as Switchcraft.

HK

Coconut

The oxide is conductive, not the sulphide. It is also very hard to remove.

All my Shallco switches get dismantled once a year for chemical removal of the sulphide. After that, they are unlistenably bright for a week and then they settle. Originally they had some whale oil based lubricant to preserve the contact surfaces but that got dirty and horrible years ago. Not sure if a similar product still exists with all the animal rights nut jobs.

Try a bit of purified coconut oil. One of the most neutral oils around. Don't know if that would go for the sonic side of it however :D

Rhodium

Nope, ain't gonna waste my time.

I'm going to listen to some music with the gear I have and not worry about plated interconnects.

What I know for sure- I can't hear any difference between solid gold interconnects or gold plated interconnects, but the music sounds good enough for me.

As a retired engineer, I know that corrosion is an issue for something designed to last 30 years, or if it's designed for military use, space flight, etc.

That's not how audio gear is designed for most mass produced audio gear. My gear is a bunch of what some might poo-poo as being non-audiophile quality. I've listened to the high dollar gear. It costs $100k or more for my ears to hear the difference between my junk and the expensive gear. But I'm happy with my gear and know that my enjoyment of the hobby isn't going to be worth a wad of money to make me enjoy it more. It would be like having a trailer queen vehicle that I would be afraid to drive because I might get a ding on the paint. I've also got a live steam locomotive that I built from scratch that no one can buy for any price.

A lot of Mil-spec switches have silver contacts and the wiper is Rhodium. This provides a good contact and as the switch is rotated (due to the rhodium) the wiper auto-cleans the contact surface. Have one of these in a 24-way dual-gang switch somewhere that I still want to make a volume control from.:cool:

Account Closed
Joined 2018
It is quite difficult to produce silver oxide, the tarnish on silver is silver sulphate. It is an insulator.

Silver oxide is used for contacts and switches in corrosive environments, it's conductivity is around 50 while copper rates 100.

On a Dual turntable I recently serviced for someone, I got readings of 800 ohms across the cartridge output cable on one channel. - that channel's audio was lower.

Yet, across the actual cartridge I read 680 ohms.
The added "resistive" component was the flat silver-plated mating contacts in the cartridge carrier and tonearm headshell.
Once the tarnish was removed, all was well again.

It is quite difficult to produce silver oxide, the tarnish on silver is silver sulphate. It is an insulator.

Silver oxide is used for contacts and switches in corrosive environments, it's conductivity is around 50 while copper rates 100.

Thanks Charles and greetings from the Galapagos. My previous comment is based in 'heresay', not heresy, and I don't have any meaningful input other than what was considered 'worthy to publish' at the time. I suspect it was based upon subjective differences and not objective numbers, which brings us back to 'audio'.

I'd be interested to learn the conductivity of copper oxide (that's what I'd call oxidated copper - I don't know how else to name it, in light of recent post: copper sulphate perhaps?).

The turtles be kind, be kin with the turtles (Charles would have loved that).

Kind regards,
HK

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.