Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2019, 05:50 PM   #1
GUNFU is offline GUNFU  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Default The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.

The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed. German entomologists have found evidence of the beginning of mass extinction, which could be the largest environmental disaster since the extinction of the dinosaurs.

According to scientists, insects, which make up two-thirds of the species diversity of animals, die at an alarming rate, which will lead to disastrous consequences for food chains and ecosystems. This conclusion was reached by experts on the basis of the results of the selection of more than 80 million arthropod specimens, which took place over about 30 years. Insects gathered using traps in 63 places along the banks of the Rhine.

It turned out that over the entire observation period since 1994, the total biomass of insects fell by 76 percent. Arthropods are food for birds, whose populations are also declining. Researchers believe that Western Europe may soon pass the “point of no return” due to a critical reduction in biodiversity, after which natural ecosystems will never recover.
The abundance of large freshwater fish, whose mass exceeds 30 kilograms, has also declined by 94% over the past two decades.
YouTube
Old 13th August 2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNFU View Post
It turned out that over the entire observation period since 1994, the total biomass of insects fell by 76 percent.
Unfortunately that gels nicely with my own, anecdotal, experience.

In my youth when we travelled by car at night through the countryside you had to use the wipers regularly to get the insects off the windscreen.
Now 30 years later I hardly ever get any insects splat on the screen.

Worrying indeed...
Old 13th August 2019, 08:15 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Ah, well we had a good run, and the Earth has recovered from numerous major climate changes and mass extinctions - it is kinda “her” thing.
My money is on tardigrades the next time around. There’s a concrete goal for the next manned lunar mission- check for signs of life at the recent Israeli “landing” site.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:25 PM   #4
hasmac is online now hasmac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post

In my youth when we travelled by car at night through the countryside you had to use the wipers regularly to get the insects off the windscreen.
I thought this too. I thought maybe it was the result of advancements in aerodynamics and car design, increased windscreen rake and improved slipstreams carrying them over the car, but there is a whole field of research based on it.

Windshield phenomenon - Wikipedia
Old 13th August 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I use a different metric - things that sting me, and things that bite me, when I am doing my outdoor tasks.

I do not detect any fall off of stings or bites.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Unfortunately that gels nicely with my own, anecdotal, experience.

Worrying indeed...
Yes, there were many insects, including bloodsucking, and they annoyed. There were many mosquitoes until the early 2000s. Cockroaches are now completely gone. Under the blow of a bee. But I often see dragonflies in the city, and this is a very good sign. But blood-sucking ticks have spread all over the world. As a teenager in the mid-80s, I often caught spinning huge pikes weighing 8-10 kg on the Volga. And now almost no one catches fish on the Volga, apparently it is almost there. Perhaps there are still many fish only at the mouth of the Volga, where the river flows into the Caspian Sea.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:55 PM   #7
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNFU View Post
Cockroaches are now completely gone.

That is so upsetting. What is the point of living in a nice neighbourhood then?
Old 13th August 2019, 09:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
That is so upsetting. What is the point of living in a nice neighbourhood then?
Are there good areas everywhere now?A holy place is never empty. Instead of cockroaches, something else will come ...
Old 13th August 2019, 09:16 PM   #9
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, there were many insects, including bloodsucking, and they annoyed. There were many mosquitoes until the early 2000s. ....
We have mosquitos so big they should be assigned transponder codes. In my misspent youth, I spent a night in a trailer, in a rice field, after a Who concert in Memphis, TN - you could hear the mosquitos banging on the side of the trailer trying to get in.

Sorry you guys in Europe are running out of bugs - come get some of ours. I'm getting ready to go mow about three acres. Since this will be late afternoon, I'll get both the stingers ( day time ) and the biters ( twilight and night ).

Y'all help yourself to some of our ticks, deer, and wild hogs while you are here.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:43 PM   #10
hudelson2 is offline hudelson2  United States
diyAudio Member

Three acres is about 1.2 hectares. I can reassure you around the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Texas, USA there ARE plenty of cockroaches. I used to live in a really cockroach infested apartment, and my cat brings in snakes, lizzards, and cockroaches on a regular basis.

Last edited by hudelson2; 13th August 2019 at 10:46 PM.

The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.Hide this!Advertise here!