The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed. German entomologists have found evidence of the beginning of mass extinction, which could be the largest environmental disaster since the extinction of the dinosaurs.

According to scientists, insects, which make up two-thirds of the species diversity of animals, die at an alarming rate, which will lead to disastrous consequences for food chains and ecosystems. This conclusion was reached by experts on the basis of the results of the selection of more than 80 million arthropod specimens, which took place over about 30 years. Insects gathered using traps in 63 places along the banks of the Rhine.

It turned out that over the entire observation period since 1994, the total biomass of insects fell by 76 percent. Arthropods are food for birds, whose populations are also declining. Researchers believe that Western Europe may soon pass the “point of no return” due to a critical reduction in biodiversity, after which natural ecosystems will never recover.
The abundance of large freshwater fish, whose mass exceeds 30 kilograms, has also declined by 94% over the past two decades.
YouTube

It turned out that over the entire observation period since 1994, the total biomass of insects fell by 76 percent.

Unfortunately that gels nicely with my own, anecdotal, experience.

In my youth when we travelled by car at night through the countryside you had to use the wipers regularly to get the insects off the windscreen.
Now 30 years later I hardly ever get any insects splat on the screen.

Worrying indeed...

Ah, well we had a good run, and the Earth has recovered from numerous major climate changes and mass extinctions - it is kinda “her” thing.
My money is on tardigrades the next time around. There’s a concrete goal for the next manned lunar mission- check for signs of life at the recent Israeli “landing” site.

In my youth when we travelled by car at night through the countryside you had to use the wipers regularly to get the insects off the windscreen.

I thought this too. I thought maybe it was the result of advancements in aerodynamics and car design, increased windscreen rake and improved slipstreams carrying them over the car, but there is a whole field of research based on it.

Windshield phenomenon - Wikipedia

Unfortunately that gels nicely with my own, anecdotal, experience.

Worrying indeed...
Yes, there were many insects, including bloodsucking, and they annoyed. There were many mosquitoes until the early 2000s. Cockroaches are now completely gone. Under the blow of a bee. But I often see dragonflies in the city, and this is a very good sign. But blood-sucking ticks have spread all over the world. As a teenager in the mid-80s, I often caught spinning huge pikes weighing 8-10 kg on the Volga. And now almost no one catches fish on the Volga, apparently it is almost there. Perhaps there are still many fish only at the mouth of the Volga, where the river flows into the Caspian Sea.

Yes, there were many insects, including bloodsucking, and they annoyed. There were many mosquitoes until the early 2000s. ....

We have mosquitos so big they should be assigned transponder codes. In my misspent youth, I spent a night in a trailer, in a rice field, after a Who concert in Memphis, TN - you could hear the mosquitos banging on the side of the trailer trying to get in.

Sorry you guys in Europe are running out of bugs - come get some of ours. I'm getting ready to go mow about three acres. Since this will be late afternoon, I'll get both the stingers ( day time ) and the biters ( twilight and night ).

Y'all help yourself to some of our ticks, deer, and wild hogs while you are here.

Three acres is about 1.2 hectares. I can reassure you around the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Texas, USA there ARE plenty of cockroaches. I used to live in a really cockroach infested apartment, and my cat brings in snakes, lizzards, and cockroaches on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I mentioned this in another thread. There has been a sudden shift in the axis of the Earth. It happened around 2006. Google this issue and you will see Youtube videos of Inuit talking about it. NASA denies it.

My daughter lived in Whitehorse then and her friend built her house facing the Rockies for the event of anticipating the arrival of Spring with the Sun suddenly appearing above them. Well one year it didn't appear...for a month, and stayed a month longer. So the seasons have shifted back 1 month. I live in the great white north here in Ontario Canada and coincidentally this past Fall there was a standalone comment in our local newspaper stating verbatim "By the way, we can expect our Spring to come later and our Fall to last longer", no explanation.

The shift is due to the redistribution of the overall mass of the Earth from the glacial melt.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I'm 1 year short of 50 years on this mortal coil - global human population has doubled since I was at school. Through my career I've worked in environmental sustainability and nature conservation sectors and the public awareness messages that are being given now are the same ones we were being tasked to promote when I started my first job 30 years ago. What? You are only just now taking your own bag/s to carry shopping? Humans will always act in their immediate self-interest. This wakes me in the small hours crying for the world my son has inherited. "Eat, drink, be merry, for tomorrow we die"

Three acres is about 1.2 hectares. I can reassure you around the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Texas, USA there ARE plenty of cockroaches. I used to live in a really cockroach infested apartment, and my cat brings in snakes, lizzards, and cockroaches on a regular basis.
You just have a southern climate that is not yet susceptible to frost. I will not be surprised that in Texas, in addition to cockroaches and scorpions, there are also crocodiles. Australia has already snowed. I think that many thermophilic insects, which are food for birds and fish, have died. I would be glad to deer in the city, even if they all ate, moreover, the grass from such lawns is simply cut by man and destroyed. But deer are so beautiful, and beauty will save the world ...

I mentioned this in another thread. There has been a sudden shift in the axis of the Earth. It happened around 2006. Google this issue and you will see Youtube videos of Inuit talking about it. NASA denies it.

My daughter lived in Whitehorse then and her friend built her house facing the Rockies for the event of anticipating the arrival of Spring with the Sun suddenly appearing above them. Well one year it didn't appear...for a month, and stayed a month longer. So the seasons have shifted back 1 month. I live in the great white north here in Ontario Canada and coincidentally this past Fall there was a standalone comment in our local newspaper stating verbatim "By the way, we can expect our Spring to come later and our Fall to last longer", no explanation.

The shift is due to the redistribution of the overall mass of the Earth from the glacial melt.

Huh.......I thought I was just nuts but I’ve noticed this too.
As an avid outdoorsman it was rather obvious to me but I never heard anything mentioned about it and just blew it off as climate change or my aging brain!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As was said before, Earth will recover as she always has done, plants, animals etc will adapt, or die off, or new species will split off. But that is not the point.

The point is that large scale changes will lead to large changes in human living conditions in many places all over the globe, and such large changes will not be for the best.
And that will upset our world order with civil strife, civil war, mass migration and ultimately to regional and possibly global wars over water, food, energy. Or just for a place to live that isn't inundated.

Not a nice prospect. The Oil Wars between the West and Middle East of last century or so will look like a walk in the park.

Jan

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Despite what a lot of movies and media might portray, Australia isn't all desert and outback. It snows every single year in Australia :) We have ski fields that are quite popular (look up thredbo and perisher)

Now if the reports were that it was snowing in Darwin, then I'd certainly be surprised. I did hear that they got some sago snow in the warumbungles, which is certainly unusual, but to say "Australia has Snowed" is just a silly headline that is meaningless ;)

Historic Snowfalls – The Top 5 Best Australian Snow Years | Mountainwatch

Snow at the footy? Just how unusual was last weekend’s weather?

Tony.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
As was said before, Earth will recover as she always has done, plants, animals etc will adapt, or die off, or new species will split off. But that is not the point.

I love the ending of "edge of darkness" the 1980's brittish mini series. Throughout the show is the concept of gaia reclaiming the planet, and the final scene shows that it has started.

I'd like to comment more on the rest of your post Jan (no arguments from me) but I would find it very difficult to do so without getting political, and I fear that this thread is probably doomed to befall that fate.

Tony.

Last edited:

The axis of the earth has not moved. Otherwise, a gigantic tsunami would have occurred on the planet. The fact that people observe the sun in the wrong place can be connected with a simple translation of time: from winter to summer or vice versa.
Earth's magnetic poles are moving, and what this threatens, while no one knows. Change of poles is possible. At this time, the Earth may lose its ionosphere, and this will mean the end of all life.

I’m assuming it wasn’t a instantaneous shift? Whether or not a shift actually happened something has certainly been ‘off’ since about that time.(by about a month) But like I said it could be just me :p

Edit- Interesting fact.....when I designed the new house were building I calculated the angle of the sun at the spring/autumn equinox (3/21 and 9/21) for my specific lat/longitude to start peaking in my upper south facing windows at high noon.
I was off by 20 days.....even after doing the math several times, again chalked it up as me screwing up, but was it really?

And I do realize the day of equinox moves but it’s only 3 or 4 days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.