Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.
The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 11:02 AM   #381
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
Bonsai listed the predicted outcome of global warming. Amazon forest destruction would belong to the cause category.

As for the fire, the internet searches I've done resulted in "deliberately set by farmers illegally deforesting land for cattle ranching".
It’s just destruction of the habitat and it causes CO2 pollution, and kills off a vital CO2 sequestration process so IMV it belongs on the list. People know it’s not good but they carry on doing it. As gnobuddy points out, Gaia will extract its price no matter what. I think forest fires are a natural process. But wanton destruction is what we are seeing in Brazil right now (good to see that their current Minister for the Environment got booed and the middle finger when he tried to give a speech the other day. What the hell was he going to say to them? ‘Hope you’re all nice and toasty folks’)

Population is a huge issue, but everywhere is heading for the demographic transition (DT) and the global population will settle out at c 9 billion and projections are that after that it will slowly decline probably back down to 6 or 7 billion by 2150.

But, the adjacent issue here is that the per capita energy consumption in the developed world (and here I would include people living along the eastern seaboard of China and certain big cities in India) is just too much. I need to check it, but I think it’s about 5 kWh per person per day while in undeveloped regions like Africa it’s a fraction of that. This type of consumption is just not sustainable unless there is a radical shift to new technologies and we drop the reliance on all kinds of fossil fuels. So I am all for nuclear (hopefully in my lifetime fusion will become a reality as well), solar, wind and all electric transportation.

For the anti nuclear guys, just think about this: atmosphere overladen with CO2 that will be around for thousands of years; 50 000 premature deaths a year from coal pollution especially in China and India, countless industrial accidents every year in the coal industry and then the added pollution from the transportation of vast quantities of coal from suppliers to power stations. Nuclear by contrast is ultra clean.

Here is a list of per capita energy consumption highest to lowest

List of Countries Energy Use per Capita | Economics Help

Last edited by Bonsai; Today at 11:15 AM.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #382
diyAudio Member

“How about one in 4 years from now, then another one in 4 years from there on and then another in 3 years from there on which makes it 3 sessions in 11 years (due to the possible end of humanity as we know it in 12 years). Deal?”

I do not think humanity will be gone in 12 years. But I think life is going to getting more and more miserable. Just how miserable I really don’t know. But it will not be as fantastic as it was up until say the 1970’s. A lot of habitat gone, difficult times etc.
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #383
Max Headroom is online now Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Much of the plastic packaging is for health and safety reasons, I can't see that changing in a hurry?
...and RFID tagging.

Disposable biodegradable single use plastic bags are no longer available in Aus so the deal is buy one and bring it next shopping trip......or forget and buy new bags every shopping trip.

Last edited by Max Headroom; Today at 11:17 AM.
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #384
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
I do not think humanity will be gone in 12 years. But I think life is going to getting more and more miserable. Just how miserable I really don’t know. But it will not be as fantastic as it was up until say the 1970’s. A lot of habitat gone, difficult times etc.
The human race can change its direction a lot easier than we think in times of fear, uncertainty and dread. Do not dismiss the effective anger of the young. It is they, not us, that will seed humanities future. A few days from now, I will be 64 years of age, and I have grown to despise my generation with its collective head firmly jammed in the feeding trough reaped from the riches of the last century. The exceptions are either being my friends or my people (known or unknown) - the rest can just sod off.

Don’t be surprised if one day the whole world wakes up and says “I have had enough of this”. Actually, it is happening now. Only some cannot, will not, or simply refuse to see it.

Ignore the trolls and hand wringers, now is the time to get a grip on reality and do something - anything - to make the world a better place to live in.

tapestryofsound
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #385
diyAudio Member

“A few days from now, I will be 64 years of age, and I have grown to despise my generation with its collective head firmly jammed in the feeding trough reaped from the riches of the last century. The exceptions are either being my friends or my people (known or unknown) - the rest can just sod off.”

Yup - 63 this year for me. You had the great generation, followed by the greatest generation and then the baby boomers who got everything on a plate and have ended up being the most selfish, self-centered small-minded bunch of hypocrites in centuries. And they have the cheek to point their finger at gen-x and the millennials Hopefully history will record them for what they are: the ‘deplorable’ generation.
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #386
indra1 is online now indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

One man does make a difference. Keep pushing it, do your best and never settle for less.

The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.Hide this!Advertise here!