The Arctic has become warmer by 5 degrees. Australia has snowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Australia has snowed.

Contrary to popular belief, it does actually snow here. We have ski slopes and everything.

The hydro power plant in the Snowy Mountains keeps pretty good data:

attachment.php

Not much change in the last half century and this year is tracking in a similar manner.

Snow Depths Calculator | Snowy Hydro

Edit: Oops, just saw Tony's post.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Brunel built a dead straight canal tunnel in a way that the sun shines through it only on his birthday.

It still does and Stonehenge still aligns perfectly with the sun on both equinoxes. It has done so for the last 4500 years.

So basically the Earth's axis has not shifted in that time.

Contrary to popular belief, it does actually snow here. We have ski slopes and everything.

The hydro power plant in the Snowy Mountains keeps pretty good data:

attachment.php

Not much change in the last half century and this year is tracking in a similar manner.

Snow Depths Calculator | Snowy Hydro

Edit: Oops, just saw Tony's post.
I don’t understand, is it winter or summer in Australia? And why is snow falling the most in autumn?:D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'd like to comment more on the rest of your post Jan (no arguments from me) but I would find it very difficult to do so without getting political, and I fear that this thread is probably doomed to befall that fate.

Tony.

We can discuss developments without pointing to who's fault it is and what causes it and such.
If what we see is real and will prove to be a valid trend, what will it mean for us as humanity?
Don't believe everything that is said for home consumption. Even nations that publicly deny that anything is happening are infighting to secure a large piece of the Arctic pie, for example. They put their money where their mouth isn't yet ;-)
What does that mean for us? Cheap oil as it is found in the Arctic, or nuclear war over the last remaining reserves there? My idea is as good as yours.

This isn't political is it?

Jan

Last edited:
No shortage of insect biomass where I was; gazillions of grasshoppers, some up to 3 inches and larger, and the biggest praying Mantis I have ever seen in my life - this gal was probably 9 inches. I spotted her from about 12 feet away when she moved on a low hanging tree branch.

Arachnids were well represented as well. Knocked a quarter sized gal off my shoulder not long after the mantis encounter; probably a widow but I smashed her before I could make a positive ID.

edit: our summers have been really mild the last eight years or so; 100F days are rare when they used to be common. I measured 118F in my backyard about a decade ago. The bugs probably like this.

Last edited:
Everything is political these days , and especially climate activists err...scientists. Conflicts for resources goes throught millennia , where is an anomaly in that trend ? Also the wars are raging on all the time , just on a local scale. At some point either a plague or major confrontation will bring the population explosion to a balance and we will start blowing a bubble again. I'm not worried at all.

Its because we are in the cooling period :) Whatever it is there is nothing we can do about it except childish attempts to turn the river with a spoon or sail to save the planet from an airplane fuel related emission. Well , keeping kids entertained is an important civilizational task . Better if they are busy playing in the sand .Isn't it ?

No I can't .We will have to wait another 100 years to see if the trend will continue .

Jan , you will have to take your stand and defend your backyard , just like your ancestors did .Nothing is given and last forever . You just grew fat , like all of us spoiled by a 50 years of a stalemate.

Isn't it amusing that as a human race we don't have a stellar record of tackling the basic problems which continue to this day but somehow we supposed to tackle the climate change . All in the bankers offices mainly since its our ( a civilised world ) greatest weapon
I will surely watch with interest that epic battle .

We can keep this topic around climate change and loosely philosophical issues without discussing Mr. Putin and Crimea. Everybody has a right to be proud of the country he/she is a citizen of . Or ....not .

We can keep this topic around climate change and loosely philosophical issues without discussing Mr. Putin and Crimea. Everybody has a right to be proud of the country he/she is a citizen of . Or ....not .
It’s just that you were interested in the fleet, and I answered you how things really are.
In Crimea, the weather is nice, there is sea, sun, wine and many beautiful people. Almost everything was restored anew, and salaries are twice as much as before. Now people from Ukraine go there to earn money.

Last edited:
We have mosquitos so big they should be assigned transponder codes. In my misspent youth, I spent a night in a trailer, in a rice field, after a Who concert in Memphis, TN - you could hear the mosquitos banging on the side of the trailer trying to get in.

Sorry you guys in Europe are running out of bugs - come get some of ours. I'm getting ready to go mow about three acres. Since this will be late afternoon, I'll get both the stingers ( day time ) and the biters ( twilight and night ).

Y'all help yourself to some of our ticks, deer, and wild hogs while you are here.

Three acres is about 1.2 hectares. I can reassure you around the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Texas, USA there ARE plenty of cockroaches. I used to live in a really cockroach infested apartment, and my cat brings in snakes, lizzards, and cockroaches on a regular basis.
Even the bugs are migrating to USA?
Cooling period?
Would you like to back that up with data?

The 10 hottest years ever recorded in the UK all happened since 2002, the 3 coldest all occurred prior to 1910.
What about since 1992? I'm curious why that year was picked (by whoever published the data) as a reference. Seems arbitrary or agenda driven. :scratch2:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Russia does not expand any bases,

So we're all victims of Fake News.

Russia's New Arctic Military Bases

BTW, UNCLOS is expected to make a statement on all claims not before 2022. The US is not a signatory to the underlying treaty but will also hand in claims in the required format to avoid being left out in the cold (no pun intended ;-). So, we'll see.

Jan

Last edited:
Why worry ? The main issue is not a climate change but how much money will change hands and how quickly. Is this a problem ? To me its not since the money will not evaporate to other dimension but will stay in this realm . My carbon footprint is so small that in order to reduce it I would have to move to a hutt. There are quite a few people in that spectator's position. Interestingly enough the education and what follows affluence goes hand in hand with a increased carbon footprint and threat to environment. Maybe we should educate only 1 % of kids. The children of 1 % ??

So we're all victims of Fake News.

Russia's New Arctic Military Bases

BTW, UNCLOS is expected to make a statement on all claims not before 2022. The US is not a signatory to the underlying treaty but will also hand in claims in the required format to avoid being left out in the cold (no pun intended ;-). So, we'll see.

Jan
We are restoring bases on our territory, and not building on strangers. This news applies only to us. Half of the Arctic belongs to Russia, this can be seen on the map. The Arctic from Canada and Alaska belongs to the United States and Canada, and NATO military bases have existed there for a long time and no one is coming to you, and you don’t even think of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.